Together Retro: Ys I

Join in on our classic gaming club!
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Ys I

Post by foxhound1022 »

Yeah, I'm playing the TG-CD version, and the sound is simply awesome.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I beat Y's I last night!

I have to say that the Bat Boss was the most challenging of the whole game. With the floating heads boss coming in at a close second:
It took me forever to realize you could only hit the orange head. Once I figured that out I walked within the circle of fireballs and keep pace with the head(s), since the heads don't hurt Adol.

The final boss was tricky but not too hard:
I just dodged his projectiles and by concentrating on them I "accidentally" ran into him enough times to take him out.

I only had to fight him 3 times before the cut-scene transition between book I and II.

I finished the game at level 35 and I did end up using the map from the file Noiseedux linked us too for the mirror maze. I didn't like relying on a map as much as I did, but I didn't have the self control to not look...
I'm not quite sure if I'll play through Book II right now, or even this month, but this is a game I may revisit at a later date.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I gotta say, this thread/experience has really rekindled my interest in the series. Since discovering the series last year I've played four Ys titles (though three of them are pretty much the same lol):

Legacy of Ys: Books I & II (DS)
Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PSP)
Ys I & II Chronicles (PSP)
Ys Book I & II (TCD)

I own unplayed copies of Ys III (SNES) and VI (PS2) that I'll get to later this year. Maybe if I'm really motivated I'll pick up Ys IV (both versions), V, and VII. Ys rules!

(And of all you guys who just finished Ys I need to continue on with part 2, especially if it's on the same disc!)
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I too am using the V-Note Chronicle PDF from noiseredux. I love the charm it has, it feels like a real fan took the time and put it together.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ExedExes wrote:I too am using the V-Note Chronicle PDF from noiseredux. I love the charm it has, it feels like a real fan took the time and put it together.

yeah man -- I really appreciate all the effort that went into this one. I think I'm gonna print it out on nice glossy paper for when I play through Ys II. And I plan on going through their archives and doing the same for some of the other games too. There's something about the hand-drawn art and all that just makes it feel so much cooler in a real "fan" kind of way than buy a legit strategy guide or reading a txt file on GameFAQs.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:
ExedExes wrote:I too am using the V-Note Chronicle PDF from noiseredux. I love the charm it has, it feels like a real fan took the time and put it together.

yeah man -- I really appreciate all the effort that went into this one. I think I'm gonna print it out on nice glossy paper for when I play through Ys II. And I plan on going through their archives and doing the same for some of the other games too. There's something about the hand-drawn art and all that just makes it feel so much cooler in a real "fan" kind of way than buy a legit strategy guide or reading a txt file on GameFAQs.

If you want to even try to beat Section Z on the NES, their guide looks like the best. I also saw the Blaster Master guide -- makes me almost want to whip out the NES again because I was never able to figure out Area 8 :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
PixelPixii
32-bit

Post by PixelPixii »

This is the first RPG I have played where I just run into enemies to fight them. Being so new to the series I wonder if this is a trademark of the series or are there any other titles that use the same fighting mechanic?

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Hydlide has similar fighting mechanics. Unlike Ys, it's not very good.

Keep in mind these games were originally developed for old Japanese computers (PC88, MSX2). It was probably easier, maybe even necessary, to program a simple "bump" battle system as opposed to creating sword animations.
PixelPixii
32-bit

Post by PixelPixii »

I understand that. Going into this completely new, I expected turn based combat. I find it very enjoyable to steam roll over my enemies.

ksloth
32-bit

Post by ksloth »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site, but not new to Retrogaming :)
I bought a Saturn modchip from here a long while ago, but never bothered to really check out the rest of the site. So glad I did!

I think that I would like to participate in this Together Retro.. hopefully I am not too late. I'm going to go and check on the PSP version and probably get it.

Final thought as I finish saying hello.. I am right now home from work today sick, and I am listening to a CD on my Sega Saturn.. and it strikes me how much you can see the technology change by the musical screensavers they include with consoles. The Saturn spaceship has got to be one of the raddest music players I have seen heheh.. so inspired!

And i've seen em all. I'm 40, so hopefully i'm not too old to hang around with you all on here. Anyways, nice too meet you and looking forward to posting my thoughts on Y's!