2012 Together Retro Calendar

Join in on our classic gaming club!
SpaceBooger

Re: 2012 Together Retro Calendar

Post by SpaceBooger »

For next month (March - Y's) what option would be the best to participate with:

a) Get Y's Book I & II T16 on the Wii VC
b) Play Ys I & II Eternal on the PC with the English patches
c) Emulate the game on some other system (thinking SMS or NES on my GBA)
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

SpaceBooger wrote:For next month (March - Y's) what option would be the best to participate with:

a) Get Y's Book I & II T16 on the Wii VC
b) Play Ys I & II Eternal on the PC with the English patches
c) Emulate the game on some other system (thinking SMS or NES on my GBA)

I'm going with Ys I & II Complete on PSP. You don't have a PSP though right? I'd think the Wii VC version should be really solid.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I do not have a PSP.
I did read that Y's I is real short, only 3 dungeons... maybe emulating that would be better so if I don't like it I can be done quicker. I say this because all of the Y's Book I & II reviews said that they are together as one longer game.
I don't know... the VC would be my preferred way since it would have the best graphics outside of the Windows ports.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

So those of us who are going to play Ys I & II Chronicles (PSP Version) coming up shortly here,I have a question..

Are you/should I:
Play Ys I Chronicles Version-Which updates the game to a more modern style or Complete Version-Which is a more retro look from the Japan only PC title?

Then theres difficulty:
Easy-Ill skip this dont wanna fall asleep.
And Normal,Hard,Nightmare.

I kinda wanna try Nightmare as I liked that difficulty in Ys Seven,but this combat is different and Im not sure if that'll fustrate me?

Normal mode may be another option just in case I fall behind in playtime?

Any thoughts or ppl playing this version next month (couple days) for TR.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I decided to go with the updated visuals and soundtrack. The soundtrack can be switched anytime, but the visuals must be picked before you start.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:I decided to go with the updated visuals and soundtrack. The soundtrack can be switched anytime, but the visuals must be picked before you start.

what about difficulty?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I decided to go with the updated visuals and soundtrack. The soundtrack can be switched anytime, but the visuals must be picked before you start.

what about difficulty?

EASY is default, so I left it as is.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

what about difficulty?

EASY is default, so I left it as is.

:roll: :roll:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote: :roll: :roll:

you want me to change it? I just threw it in for an hour to do the TR write-up so I was just leaving all settings as they were.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote: :roll: :roll:

you want me to change it? I just threw it in for an hour to do the TR write-up so I was just leaving all settings as they were.

Well...we recently had a discussion that you were part of in the "Games Beaten" thread about whether "easy" is really the "deafult experience" if it is auto selected on the first menu just because it is at the top of the list. I tend to think of "normal" as the default experience, and one in which they wouldn't have taken anything out/dumbed anything down.