Rf vs av for flatscreen tv's

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
mas
Next-Gen

Rf vs av for flatscreen tv's

Post by mas »

Hi Everyone,
I just wonder if I should bother to get av cables for my genesis model 1 hd and genesis 3 model and my snes since I only use rf for everything. I have my systems on a 25 in flatscreen lcd and I was just wondering if it will make a big difference in the colors and background. Will it make games like sonic and rocket knight and mario all stars or donkey kong country look night and day? I just thought I would ask before I spend like twenty dollars or so for all the av cords for all three systems and find out it doesn't make much of a differance. Thanks ahead for the answer's.
sabrage
Next-Gen

Re: Rf vs av for flatscreen tv's

Post by sabrage »

It'll make a massive difference. The hierarchy: HDMI=DVI>VGA>Component=RGB/Scart>S-Video>Composite>RF.

I'm sure someone might come along and debate the superiority of VGA over Component, but the point is that both are preferable to S-Video. If you have a model one SNES, I would recommend getting S-Video cables for that if you have the option.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Specifically, everything is much better than RF. The only advantage of RF is that you can naturally daisy chain everything, so you don't have to worry about switch boxes.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Speaking from experience, if RF is what you're used to, it's not hurting anything to stick with that. I used RF for the longest time but now I have upgraded everything i use to at least composite (because that's what most systems come with when you buy them these days), and it does make a difference but I wouldn't recommend upgrading any higher unless you're just picky and don't mind paying quite a bit. The only systems that are absolutely horrible in RF (in my opinion) are the Saturn and Genesis.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Get the best connection you can for each system. Composite will get rid of the RF fuzz for the Genesis. Even better, your SNES can go SVideo which offers Chroma Luma separation.

sabrage wrote:It'll make a massive difference. The hierarchy: HDMI=DVI>VGA>Component=RGB/Scart>S-Video>Composite>RF.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

sabrage wrote:It'll make a massive difference. The hierarchy: HDMI=DVI>VGA>Component=RGB/Scart>S-Video>Composite>RF.

I'm sure someone might come along and debate the superiority of VGA over Component, but the point is that both are preferable to S-Video. If you have a model one SNES, I would recommend getting S-Video cables for that if you have the option.

You forgot DisplayPort. :shock: :wink:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Zing
Next-Gen

Post by Zing »

My experience with the NES is that RF is only slightly worse than composite. It's definitely noticeable, but not gamebreaking.

That said, if a composite cable is cheap and easy to get, there is really no reason not to if you plan on playing the system with any frequency.

You definitely want it for the Super NES so you can have stereo sound.
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I have ALWAYS gotten bad interference while using RF connections (screen distortion and occasional scrambling). They are so finicky and temperamental. A/V is the way to go for most of my older systems.
My Atari Jaguar was pretty much unplayable until I got an A/V cord (and later S-video from Hobie).
...just another lost soul...
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I use AV for everything. I've got a pretty big TV so I always try for the best connections...but then I have a box of like 100 cables somewhere in my basement, so I've rarely even had to go out and buy them. Use S-Video on the SNES if you can. The cables are real cheap (I got a universal Nintendo/PS/oXbox S-Video cable for $6). In my opinon that's definitely worth the money. Even with my VCR I always use Composite. It's a day and night difference for me. I think it's worth it - but some cables secondhand, and if you don't like them, resell them. No problem.

Keep in mind that with the SNES you'll also get stereo sound if you use the AV or S-AV cables. That's important.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
sabrage
Next-Gen

Post by sabrage »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:

You forgot DisplayPort. :shock: :wink:

No, I didn't. :wink: