Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
bigjt_2

Assmilate NES Homebrew: Available 3-17

by bigjt_2 Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:41 pm

Hey Everyone,

Assimilate, an NES homebrew I've been working on, is ready to be released on carts on or around March 17th. The carts will be available in both cart+manual and full CIB packages. (See below). Pre-order begins this Thursday on my blog at 6:30pm EST.

Clickety here to watch the promo video.

Click here for the official release thread on my blog.

KDub
Next-Gen

Re: Assmilate NES Homebrew: Available 3-17

by KDub Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:44 am

Looks interesting! Good job

The opening "He are sent on mission" was on purpose I'd assume.
deathsled
128-bit

by deathsled Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:45 am

Very neat to see more homebrew games released in cart format.

Am I wrong to say that the song in the promo video seems heavily "inspired" by the Moon song from Duck Tales?
sabrage
Next-Gen

by sabrage Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:41 am

Does anyone else find it impossible to read the word "assimilate" in anything but a robot voice?
bigjt_2

by bigjt_2 Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 pm

KDub wrote:The opening "He are sent on mission" was on purpose I'd assume.

Yep! All the cutscenes in the game are written as a sort of tribute to the translation (or lack thereof) of the earliest NES titles. The death message is similarly written as the same kind of parody.

deathsled wrote:Am I wrong to say that the song in the promo video seems heavily "inspired" by the Moon song from Duck Tales?

Probably not a big surprise, but you're spot on! The song in the promo is actually the background music within the game that plays during Assimilate's own moon levels. The moon is the last section you conquer in the game. And the directive I gave my composer for the background music on those levels was, naturally, take inspiration from the Ducktales moon music. The Ducktales moon theme is one of the finest pieces of music in gaming history, and I love what my composer was able to do with his own moon theme here.

sabrage wrote:Does anyone else find it impossible to read the word "assimilate" in anything but a robot voice?

Ha! Didn't realize it had that effect on people! Very cool!
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:28 am

sabrage wrote:Does anyone else find it impossible to read the word "assimilate" in anything but a robot voice?

I always imagine her saying it:

Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
Return to Old-School Gaming News