Retrospective: Doom

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Retrospective: Doom

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Love Doom. Play it on my 360 quite a bit. I'd like to get Doom 64, and I was wondering what ports Doom and Doom II had. I know Doom on Snes and Saturn and 32 X. But I don't know any others.

Doom's basically on everything under the sun.

PC
Mac
Jaguar
PS1
Saturn
Dreamcast (unofficially)
Xbox

Are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Doom 64 is right there with Final Doom in my least favorite Doom games. I really didn't like what I played of it.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Doom's basically on everything under the sun.
PC
Mac
Jaguar
PS1
Saturn
Dreamcast (unofficially)
Xbox

Add the SNES variation, the RockBox variation (for MP3 players with LCDs), Linux distros, the TI calculators (I kid you not), and possibly a crappy Tiger Dot-Com port as well. (A crippled version of Duke made it.)
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Doom 64 is right there with Final Doom in my least favorite Doom games. I really didn't like what I played of it.

I can attest to Final Doom's low quality. It's my least favorite Doom ever. Plays like a fan-mod, and not an especially good one.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

Is it possible to play fan-made WADs on Steam? Just curious, and I know it's probably a longshot..
I'm just like lots of fans and replay it at least every year.. Was just wondering what advantages, if any, there are to having it on Steam, as opposed to just booting it up normally..
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Is it possible to play fan-made WADs on Steam? Just curious, and I know it's probably a longshot..
I'm just like lots of fans and replay it at least every year.. Was just wondering what advantages, if any, there are to having it on Steam, as opposed to just booting it up normally..

None. The Steam version is just the good ole DOS game in a DOSBOX wrapper.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Is it possible to play fan-made WADs on Steam? Just curious, and I know it's probably a longshot..

None. The Steam version is just the good ole DOS game in a DOSBOX wrapper.

Multiplayer?
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

BoringSupreez wrote:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Doom 64 is right there with Final Doom in my least favorite Doom games. I really didn't like what I played of it.

I can attest to Final Doom's low quality. It's my least favorite Doom ever. Plays like a fan-mod, and not an especially good one.

Both of the WAD's in Final DOOM were created by fans of the game.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:None. The Steam version is just the good ole DOS game in a DOSBOX wrapper.

Which means it's one of the worst versions available. You haven't played DOOM until you've played it at 1600x1200 with mouse look. Does vanilla doom even support TCP/IP networking?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:Love Doom. Play it on my 360 quite a bit. I'd like to get Doom 64, and I was wondering what ports Doom and Doom II had. I know Doom on Snes and Saturn and 32 X. But I don't know any others.

Doom's basically on everything under the sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_and_ports_of_Doom
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

That's the magic of the GPL and portable C code. It would probably be easier to list the platforms Doom hasn't been ported to. I can't think of anything that could run it that doesn't have a port.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!