Is getting a Neo-Geo worth it?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Rokogu
24-bit

Is getting a Neo-Geo worth it?

Post by Rokogu »

So, I don't know if anyone else has asked this, so I'm wondering if getting a neo-geo is worth it, cuz i don't play fighting games, is there alot of other genres on this system, because i know most of the games are fighters right? Plus i dont have alot of money and im pretty sure the system and games are quite expensive. Any thoughts on the matter?
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Re: Is getting a Neo-Geo worth it?

Post by dedalusdedalus »

I think you just answered your own question.

If you don't have a lot of money to commit to a collection, then the AES is definitely not for you. The MVS is a more economical choice in the long run, but it has higher start-up cost than the AES since you're going to be spending around $500+ for an arcade unit or a consolized MVS. Far and away, the CD is the most economical choice, but due to load times I can't recommend it to anyone.

Secondly, if you don't like fighting games, Neo Geo is not for you. On the Neo Geo, certain genres are nonexistent (RPGs), others are poorly represented (beat-em-up, platformers), while others are well-done but underrepresented (run n' gun, shmups). But in terms of 2-D fighting, Neo Geo is king.

So in conclusion, the Neo Geo is not for you. You'd do well to consider another console that matches the amount of cash you're willing to commit, and which represents the genres you like to play.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

If you just want to play the games, no, buy ports. The Neo Geo is known for being incredibly expensive, with many games running into hundreds of dollars or more, as is the case with Metal Slug.

Most of the well-known games of the console are fighters but they are probably very few in number compared to other genres. That said, they are the well-known games for a reason and while shooters and puzzles found a home there are not many of them.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

On the flip side, if you are willing to jump for one, you can get some really unique games that are not on other platforms.

Neo's, especially four or six slots, are just iconic and huge. When people walk into my basement they go straight to it - even though mine is broken. Most gamers know of them, even if it is just by emulation. Its true there are more fighters than anything, but if you are willing to pace yourself on your buying, dont mind cart only, and dont mind cleaning the carts when you get them, you can amass a decent collection for a fair price. Sadly I still dont have a copy of Aero Fighters 3, but I am working on it.
kingbuzzo
16-bit

Post by kingbuzzo »

I suggest you remain a weenie

eSPy
64-bit

Post by eSPy »

given that the large majority of great neogeo games have been re-released using some form of emulation, i think there are much easier/cheaper options. then again...might be worth picking up if you see one on the cheap.
Atari 2600 Jr., NES, Gameboy, Genesis 1 and 2, Saturn, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Advance (with Supercard SD), Playstation (With Goldfinger), Nintendo 64, Playstation 2(modded), Nintendo DS (Fat) with Edge
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

kingbuzzo wrote:I suggest you remain a weenie

:lol:
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

So, the difference is in a bunch of cheap condiments? Yet the neo geo is vastly more expensive than the nes/genesis/most nec?

I think I'll remain a weenie :P
Rokogu
24-bit

Post by Rokogu »

Thanks guys, I think I'll pass then
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

dunpeal2064 wrote:

So, the difference is in a bunch of cheap condiments? Yet the neo geo is vastly more expensive than the nes/genesis/most nec?

I think I'll remain a weenie :P

Psh, that's so inattentive. They clearly spread a shitload of Beluga caviar underneath that hotdog, so it's now worth like 2,000 bucks.
Last edited by dedalusdedalus on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.