Nominate the Best of the Remaining Arcades!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Re: Nominate the Best of the Remaining Arcades!

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

noiseredux wrote:
YoshiEgg25 wrote:Oh yeah, they're also the only arcade on the Twin Galaxies International Registry of Historic Video Game & Pinball Arcades that is still in business (the other four are shut down).

Fun Spot isn't one of them?

Nope.

I can't find a full list anywhere on the internet, but the only other one I can find on the list was the Pak Mann Arcade in Pasadena, CA.

From what I remember about the award, the arcade must have been open for at least 20 years and must have been its own entity (not part of an amusement park, bar, etc). I'd assume this is why Funspot isn't on that list.

There's another guy making a list separately from Twin Galaxies (and I think Funspot is on his list), but the qualifications are far less stringent and no one actually takes the guy seriously.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
HellHammer
64-bit

Post by HellHammer »

I'm pretty sure it's closing as I type this, but

Denjin Arcade in Simi Valley, California is amazing.
In addition to a lot of fun classic games, they literally have six Street Fighter:Third Strike machines sitting back to back for tourney style play...literally.
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

1984 Arcade in Springfield, MO

This is an awesome place and as far as I know it's still going strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRTruDjAeaI There's a YouTube vid showing you around the place and whatnot.

What makes it cool IMO is that it's all 80's games and pinball machines. You pay $5 at the door, and you get access to the place the entire day as long as you have the receipt, and every machine (other than the pinball machines) is freeplay. They've also got some snacks and drinks there of course and behind the counter if you ask sometimes they'll pull out some more cool stuff for you to check out like the Vectrex, or old LED games from the 80s. This place is just full of atmosphere.

I also took some pictures of the place when I was there. You can see those here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1136598610 ... ieldMOTrip
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

WrathOskvro wrote:1984 Arcade in Springfield, MO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRTruDjAeaI There's a YouTube vid showing you around the place and whatnot.

What makes it cool IMO is that it's all 80's games and pinball machines. You pay $5 at the door, and you get access to the place the entire day as long as you have the receipt, and every machine (other than the pinball machines) is freeplay. They've also got some snacks and drinks there of course and behind the counter if you ask sometimes they'll pull out some more cool stuff for you to check out like the Vectrex, or old LED games from the 80s. This place is just full of atmosphere.

I also took some pictures of the place when I was there. You can see those here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1136598610 ... ieldMOTrip

I'll definitely check that place out next time I'm in Springfield.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Pinball Hall of Fame Museum - Las Vegas

I posted a thread about it here: viewtopic.php?p=464568#p464568
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Runefaust
64-bit

Post by Runefaust »

Round One is really the only decent arcade left in my area, so it definitely gets my vote. Super Arcade and James Games are still open, but Arcade Infinity and Denjin have both closed down. /cry
boltfanSD
16-bit

Post by boltfanSD »

WrathOskvro wrote:1984 Arcade in Springfield, MO

Me and some friends are actually making the trip up from nwa this saturday, glad to see it looks pretty legit. I don't know how long ago you were there but I'll try to take some current pictures when I'm up there.
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

Galloping Ghost - Brookfield IL

It's $15 to get in the door (all day), and all of the machines are set free to play. The atmosphere and staff are really relaxed, and there is a huge selection of games (the only thing missing is any japanese style shmup (aka bullet hell), which is my favorite arcade genre).

edit - i stand corrected. They recently acquired Ikaruga. :)
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

Sunnyvale (California) Golfland is still a great place for fighting games. In the 80s and 90s it was Capcom's testing grounds for new games (Capcom USA's HQ was very close). I grew up in that arcade and I saw many games being tested there, some that ended up never getting released. Anyway, I don't know if they still have that relationship with Capcom but they still have fighting game rigs. So it's still set up for fighting games for those who want that old school feel of having your opponent standing next to you.