CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by CRTGAMER Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Repair Guide. Image
Repair your rare WEGA for under twenty dollars. :mrgreen:

Related Post - CRT TV RLOD Five Dollar Repair Guide
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=961661#p961661

Click the flashing light for a list of Sony TVs that have the chips.

A special thanks to AVS Forum Message board, a great read here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=928945

OVERSCAN FIX - viewtopic.php?f=52&t=32118&p=480012#p480012

This repair is for various models of the Sony Trinitrons that carry power supply chips used for detection of CRT voltage draw. The chips are found on the WEGA series of SDCRT, EDCRT, HDCRT and Rear Projection TVs. I wrote this guide based on the HDCRT I own.

KV-32HS500 Sony Wega HD CRT 4:3
D Board has two MCZ3001D Chips - A Board has no Chips

KV-32HV600 Sony Wega HD CRT 4:3

Two replacement chips are MCZ3001DB

Note: Anyone who does this repair, please add a Reply with your experience in repairing your TV. Please include your model number as I did above. Also the identifying text showing which chips are on each board BEFORE THE REPAIR, either MCZ3001D, MCZ3001DB or whatever model number is labeled on the chips.

Not just a beautiful CRT but an uncommon HD CRT 4:3
I own two Sony WEGA HD 4:3 CRTs and love it, goes from 480i all the way to 720p and 1080i. The perfect screen for retro gaming supporting RF all the way to HDMI with the DVI input. Everything from Atari to the Wii to Digital Cable all look great. HD TVs including HD CRTs do not support Lightguns, but that is covered by the Wii sensor bar. The main advantage of the CRT is no lag or Dot Crawl from up scaling the different resolutions. 8)

Niode wrote:CRT doesn't have a native resolution so you don't get the same issue you get with LCDs. CRTs just display the content in the resolution it was intended to be viewed in. No up scaling required.

A shaky temporary solution
The WEGA Trintron series do have a weakness of chips failing on the power supply D board. An indicator of the chip fail is upon pressing the power on, a Degauss sound followed by a few relay clicks and 6 to 7 blinks on the Standby Light. An indication of the D Board failing, usually the two chips.

My KV32HS500 had this problem, fortunately the KV32HV600 still works just fine. Both HD CRTs have the earlier MCZ3001D Chips inside. This repair deals with the KV32HS500, however other WEGAs are similar in the layout.

homerging wrote:The Eastern Hemisphere market KV-HR and KV-HX models give 10 blinks for a D board error. Those TVs often contained MCZ3001DBs. 6 blinks from those models instead indicates an A board error.

If I leave the TV unplugged for a few hours and then plug back in, a maybe power on. I finally just left the TV on all the time. To avoid a burn on the phosphor screen of the CRT, I placed the TV input to HDMI which is hooked up to my cable box. The cable box puts out a black signal when off, so the TV input logo does not stays on, just the black screen. This worked pretty well in keeping the CRT at a dim black screen, that is until one day having a brain fart and accidentally turning the TV off. :evil:

Sony Memory Slot
My HD CRT has the memory card slot for reading JPGs from a Sony Memory Stick. It reads the older non Pro 128mb Magic Gate cards. The strange thing is during the initial seven light flash, the memory card slot LED lights up for a second. Curious why a memory card might be accessed before the TV is fully on.

Perhaps the memory card is accessed for a firmware update? :?:

Hot Air
There is a temporary fix, should the TV fail to turn on. Of all things, a Hair Dryer blowing on the right bottom side of the TV after unplugged for a couple of hours. There is no humidity sensor inside the WEGA CRTs. Very strange but cooking the PCB thru the vent slot actually works!
jammer(six) wrote: http://www.jammersix.com/archives/sony- ... ow-to-fix/

Start by unplugging your TV set. Next, simply direct a hair dryer (on high heat) through the vents along the lower, back corner of the right side of your TV set. Here again, “right side” assumes that you’re looking at the TV set from the front. Let it blow through the vents for a good 2-3 minutes then plug it back in and fire it up. If you’re lucky, it will function normally.

When I tried this yesterday, it didn’t work at first. After a bit more blowing, however, the TV powered up and continued to work for the remainder of the day. This morning, it turned on just fine, but then failed to turn back on a short while later. We then tried it after lunch and it worked fine again (all without firing up the hair dryer).

It’s unclear to me why this works. It may be that the humidity sensor is going bad and had become, or perhaps there’s a problem with dust somehow interfering. It seems unlikely to be the latter, as the heat appears to be necessary to get things back up and running.

Prolonging the agony, the Hair Dryer trick will eventually no longer work. :?

Worth the fix
Even if your TV blink code might point to something else, try the Chip replacement first. Usually only one chip on the D Board fails. With all the work involved to get to the repair stage, its better to just go ahead and change both chips, adding sockets in case of a future fail. A tricky repair but very inexpensive depending on where you purchase the replacement chips. I had pretty good luck ordering online from TSM, even at regular shipping only took a few days to arrive. There are numerous models of the WEGA series that have the chip on the D Board. Some TVs also have an additional identical chip on the A Board, but these rarely fail.
TSM wrote:http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-7979-mcz3001db-shindengen-ic.aspx

MCZ3001DB Shindengen IC, pulse width modulation, 18 DIP

-Same as Sony 670581001, 670335501, and Hitachi CP08451U

-Recommended replacement for MCZ3001D, MCZ3001DA, 875967030

-Used on Sony D board power supplies. Locations IC6001, IC6501, or IC8002.

-Also used on Sony LCD rear projection modules

-Used in models:
KD30XS955, KDF-55XS955, KP46WT520, KV27FV310, KD32FS130, KDF-60WF655, KP51WS520, KV27HS420, KD34XBR960, KDF-60XS955, KP57WS520, KV-29DRC420, KD-34XBR970, KDFE42A10, KV20FS120, KV-29FA310, KD34XS955, KDF-E50A10, KV-21FA310, KV-29FS120, KD-36FS130, KDFE55A20, KV-21FM120, KV-30HS420, KD36XS955, KDFE60A20, KV21FS120, KV-32DX850, KDE55XBR950, KDP51WS655, KV24FS120, KV32FS120, KDF42E2000, KDP57WS655, KV-25FS120, KV-32FS320, KDF42WE655, KE42M1, KV-27FA310, KV32HS20, KDF50WE655, KF-42WE620, KV27FS120, KV-32HS420, KDF55WF655, KF-50WE620, KV-27FS320, KV32HV600, KV32XBR450, KV36FS120, KV36HS420, KV-38FS120, KV-34FS120, KV-36FS320, KV36XBR400, VPLHS20, KV34HS420, KV36HS20, KV-36HS500

-Replacement of the following parts along with the MCZ3001DB IC's is recommended

-.1 Ohm 1/2W Fusible resistor (2 per board). Order 120293361

-1200uF 250V Electrolytic capacitor (2 per board). Order 1200UF250V

Tools and Parts
1. Phillips Screwdrivers #1 and #2 - various lengths for clearance
2. Jewelers Screwdriver set - Phillips and Slotted
3. Offset slotted screwdriver - two position "Allen Wrench" bent design
4. Pencil Soldering Iron - around 30 watt
5. Soft Paint Brush - for cleaning off dust, can of air optional
6. Chip Puller or Needle Nose Pliers
7. Desolder Suction Tool
8. Flashlight - small easy to hold such as a bright Maglight
9. Magnifying Glass
10. Lamp - adjustable head to shine on work
11. Desolder Braid - already flux coated Radio Shack SKU 64-2090
12. Wirecutters - to cut Desolder Braid
13. Solder - small diameter preferably leaded solder
14. Parts tray - upside down frisbees make great parts trays.
15. Two 18 pin IC Sockets - Radio Shack SKU 276-1992
16. Two MCZ3001DB Chips - B series are a newer revised version of MCZ3001D

Offset Slotted Screwdriver with 90 degree tip

Sony Trinitron WEGA Landfill Prevention Kit

Two people to move
I had my neighbor give me a hand moving the HD Tube, 200 freeken pounds! MOST OF THE WEIGHT IS AT THE FRONT OF THE CRT. I staged a dresser in front of the wall unit, lucky a very close matched height.

Be sure not to wear belts on your pants, belt buckles are murder on the CRT anti glare coating. Wear a shirt untucked to cover the pants metal button.

Slide the TV out and disconnect the eight inputs and audio out to the receiver. Wrap tape around each cable input bundle and label to avoid guesstimating later which cable goes where. I have a wide mix of DVI converted to HDMI, Composite, SVideo and Component hooked up to various Game Consoles, Laser, DVD, CED and VHS. Even a couple RF inputs for Analog portion of the Digital HDMI cable box and Atari 5200.

Be sure to take notes and pics for reference later.

New HDs no longer have SVideo. Component also seems to be going away, most only have one input. HDMI taking over, seen a lot of newer HDs with four HDMI inputs.

Keep the TV level and do not rotate the tube to the bottom for access to the back. The tube is heavy and sits on a cradle in the normal position, it might crack the front bezel if rotated.

Be sure to place some cardboard underneath to avoid scratching and possible damage to the bottom of the pull out Service Tray. I cannot emphasize enough about leaving the TV in the normal position, the very heavy tube is balanced in a cradle. My fireplace has a nice 13 inch step, so we spun the HD around and set it there. I wedged some cloth towels between the CRT and the fireplace doors to avoid scratching the glaze off the tube. Even though the TV is sticking out past the edge of the fireplace step, most of the weight is at the tube.

Unplug, tap all buttons on TV and let the TV sit for a couple of days for discharge. Be patient and wait, no way will I try to discharge with a screwdriver and risk damaging any capacitor from the surge. There are also heat sinks that need to cool down. :!:

High voltage even when unplugged! Give time for discharge.
Even if then there might still high voltage. Just keep clear of the Flyback Transformer and thick cable.

Image Image

Remove eighteen Back Cover #2 screws
This can be done with the TV sitting normally, the screws are on the sides, top and back. There are no screws at the very bottom. Use a parts tray such as an upside down frisbee to store the screws. The black plastic for various inputs does not have to be removed, you can leave those screws in. It will help in supporting the rotated PCB later on.

Carefully slide off the back cover while lifting up the black input panel slightly. and take it outside to clean off all the dust. When cleaning the PCB, CRT and other components, have care not to bend any of the electronic components. A can of air is useful for blowing away the dust after the brushing.

Back of TV D Board on the Left - A Board on the Right
This particular model has no chip on the A Board so there is only the two on the D Board to worry about. Even if the A board has a chip, the D Board chips are usually the ones that fail.

Sony Internal Pics 03.jpg
Sony Internal Pics 03.jpg (233.96 KiB) Viewed 60566 times

Identify the MCZ3001D chips
Locate the two chips on the left at the D Board where the CRT is connected to the Flyback transformer. Most TVs have the older MCZ3001D chips, some might be the newer MCZ3001DB revision. Even the newer though not as common revised chips have been know to fail. It is best to replace either with the more reliable MCZ3001DB revision chips. :idea:

The chips are labeled as either MCZ3001D or MCZ3001DB.
The locations on the D Board are IC8002 and IC6501.

D Board, the chips are located between the Flyback Transformer and two large black Capacitors.

Some have replaced the chips by rotating the tube to the bottom for repairs. Then cutting the plastic rib on the frame with a dremel and repair without removing the PCB. :shock:

A risk of damaging the PCB from the cutting and harder to install the chip. Removing the PCB is really easy, its just a few screws and connectors. The main Flyback Transformer and Power Connectors do not have to be removed.

The heavy CRT is sitting on a cradle in the normal position and could crack the front bezel if rotated.

PCB Slide Out Tray
The two PCBs slide out as a unit sitting in a plastic tray. On the left and right light gray plastic frame there are release latches. These are located near each corner of the CRT at the bottom all the way inside of each outer black CRT bottom cradle. Lift the latches up while sliding one side at a little at a time. Do not attempt to slide the tray all the way out to the Service position. Move the tray assembly just enough, out around five inches for better access to the connectors and screws.

Identify Seven Connectors
Each electrical connector is different, but to be safe write down or take a photo to be sure. Remove all the connectors off the D Board EXCEPT THE FLYBACK TRANSFORMER AND THE MAIN POWER LEADS. The fatter wires are difficult to pull and may be damaged if pulled too hard. The fat cables have enough slack left plugged in when rotating the PCB. A small connector is split off to the A Board, optional to unplug for additional wire slack clearance.

A Board and D Board 4 transition latches
Between the two boards are four black transition block "latches". These lock the two boards together and also provide electrical connections between the two PCBs. On my TV the latches pull up from the D Board side.

Do not lift the transition block too high, you might bend the metal transition connections.

Two transition blocks can be lifted with your thumb and finger and pulled up. A better method is using an offset slotted screwdriver, which will be needed on the difficult to reach ones. Place the tongue of the screwdriver under one corner of the black plastic transition and lift slightly. Have a good controlled grip as not to pull too high and cause damage. Then lift the other corner to free the transition block. Lift up just enough so the block swivels clear of the D Board. DO NOT LIFT TOO HIGH AND BEND THE METAL. All you need is enough to slide the PCB clear.

Transition blocks are at the top in the pic below. The left two blocks are popped up, two right ones seated. Note the light gray plastic holding the PCB down to help in lifting the transition blocks. The PCB slides out from under the gray plastic. The fat red Flyback Transformer cable and the blue/red/yellow wired power cable connector can stay connected.

Identify eight #1 PCB screws
The screws are removed after the connectors and transition blocks are clear. Remove the screws holding down the D Board, note some holes have no screws. Place the PCB screws separate of the back cover screws in another parts tray such as a second upside down frisbee.

The only thing holding the PCB are some plastic gray tabs on the tray. Squeeze slightly while lifting a section of the PCB at a time. Not too high as to flex the board, that would stress the solder points on the PCB. After all tabs are clear, lift the PCB, slide clear of the gray tab between the pair of transition blocks, then rotate and set on its edge leaned against the video input panel.

Be careful the PCB is stable sitting on end and sensitive electrical parts do not get damaged.

Locate the chips
Compare the chip location to the bottom green soldered side. Each chip has a white rectangle pattern on the green side. Note that two of each chip's eighteen legs are not soldered. Also note that there are two chip solder pads for each chip joining other non chip solder pads. In addition, some of the chip pads have a narrow exposed trace going to another component.

Socket or no socket
There was posts at other boards about the IC sockets might be unreliable due to high voltage. The voltage and amp draw can't be that high for the chips, seems the contacts and legs could handle it. Convenient Sockets are the way to go, a possible second repair years later of desoldering and soldering may damage the PCB. Because of some owners having to do the repair a second time, I am definitely going with sockets. :wink:

Note that each chip has a small notch on one end, used in identifying which way the chip goes. Be sure of the orientation on the PCB before removing the chip.

The meticulous part
This is the trickiest part of the whole job. Desoldering the old chips without damaging the PCB. Be sure to use good lighting and a good Soldering Pencil Iron with a fine point sharpened cleanly with a file. Use a Magnifying Glass continually to verify your work. Start by tinning the freshly sharpened point of the Solder Iron with some solder. Flick off as much solder as you can onto a sheet of cardboard. The idea is to remove solder and not add any to the soldered pads. There are a couple of methods to remove the solder.

Do not overheat the solder contact pads or forcibly remove the chips. The traces on the PCB could be damaged.

Desolder Suction Tool
Test the tool to see how it works. Push the plunger in until it locks. Cover the suction tip with your finger and press the release button. The plunger should not go all he way up because of you finger holding a vacuum at the tip. Remove your finger and observe how the plunger pops all the way up.

Before heating an electrical pad, be sure to have the suction tool in standby position with the plunger locked down. Heat up the the solder pad, remove Solder Iron. Quicky cover the melted solder pad with the suction tip and press the release button. It will suck up any solder that is in the melted fluid state.

Desolder Wick
The Desolder Wick is a copper braid and is flux coated. First try heating it with the solder gun away from the PCB to see how it works while cleaning the Solder Iron. Note how the wick draws in the solder from the solder gun tip. Every time you heat up the wick and draw in solder, it cannot be used again. The flux is burned off and you want to prevent introducing the drawn in solder back onto the PCB. Cut off the wick with the wire cutters, a little extra off to have a clean unheated flux coating braid.

Prepare the wick first by pinching with your fingers, offering a tighter point for better desolder control. Place the wick point over the solder pad and heat up the wick with the solder gun. Be careful not to overheat that might damage the solder pad on the PCB. The wick will draw in the solder onto its copper braid underneath.

Residual Solder
If you are still having trouble removing the solder you can try this. Do this only after you have removed as much solder as possible with the above two methods first. MELTED SOLDER RUNOFF COULD SHORT OTHER COMPONENTS. That said, I had a couple of chip legs that were still stuck with just a little solder in the hole. Heat up the leg and solder pad. While the melted solder is in a fluid state purse your lips and blow or use a can of air. Works faster then getting the suction tool into position, but risky where the melted solder lands. This is why a last resort. :idea:

Look closely at each desoldered Chip leg, check for clearance movement with a tiny Slotted Screwdriver.
Sony Internal Pics 06.jpg
Sony Internal Pics 06.jpg (255.89 KiB) Viewed 60576 times

Verify each Chip leg
As you do each leg, check you progress with a magnifying glass. The PCB white marking will burn a little. That is okay as long as the solder pad does not get damaged or pulled up. Use a small slotted jewelers screwdriver, wiggle each leg to be sure it is clear of the PCB. TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO THE PCB, DO NOT FORCIBLY REMOVE THE CHIP. Once you confirm all legs are straight and free of the PCB, pull the chip with a Chip Puller or Needle Nose Pliers. You can also use the Off Set Screwdriver, do not force the old chip out.

Congratulate yourself, you have completed the toughest part of the entire job. Soldering is tricky but not as difficult as a desolder. Because of all the risks of desolder and soldering, go with the chip sockets and never have to melt solder on the D Board PCB again. :mrgreen:

Prepare the Chip Sockets and Chips
Both the chips and sockets have a small notch to match up with each other. Try to plug the new chips in the 18 pin sockets halfway in. Do not go all the way since they are hard to separate. You might have to bend the chip legs in slightly before inserting into the sockets. Once satisfied of the smooth transition place the chips to one side.

Do not use the old desoldered chips to test plug into the sockets. The old chip legs are thicker, coated with old solder. The solder coated chip legs might bend the socket connectors too wide. There is also a risk of solder scraping off and shorting out the socket housing.

Note the PCB has a black dot signifying the same end as the notch on the chips you removed. Place the new 18 pin sockets with the notch at the black dot end. The socket will actually work either way, but the mark on the board gets covered by the socket when put on wrong. Might as well keep all marks in the correct alignment. Do not force the socket into the PCB small 18 holes, it should drop in easily.

Solder the 18 pin socket
Remember the two points that did not have solder? Inspect the PCB closely with a magnifying glass to verify which holes do not have a solder pad. While holding the chip socket in place bend the legs on just those two pads. Be careful the bent legs are clear of any electrical contact point. The 18 pin socket is held in place on one side with the two bent legs. :wink:

Be sure all socket legs are seated all the in the solder holes of the PCB with socket plastic base flush against board. This ensures the socket legs do not strain the traces when the chip is pressed on afterwards.

Use just a little solder to avoid runoff and shorting the electrical pads together.

Always heat both the leg protruding and the electrical pad for good solder flow. USE VERY LITTLE SOLDER. Try soldering just one connection and check your results with a Magnifying Glass. Flick off any excess solder off the solder iron before continuing. As you solder the legs, you will find there is enough solder melted on the Solder Iron tip to do two or three electrical pads. Avoid feeding more solder on each leg to prevent too much solder dripping.

Magnifying Glass inspection
Scrutinize that every socket leg has solder on the pad covering the hole completely. Be sure there is no "cold solder" connections where the solder did not flow and stick the the chip legs and solder pads. Also be sure each socket chip leg solder pad is not shorted with each other. A couple of the chip socket solder pads do have another non chip solder pad connected next to it, that is normal.

Upper Chip Socket soldered, lower Chip Socket not soldered yet. Note the inactive legs are bent to hold the 18 pin socket in place, two on each chip socket location.

Install the new Chips
Inspect the chip for the notch and be sure of the orientation before inserting. Carefully align the chip legs with the sockets to avoid bending a leg. If the chip legs were pretested and bent to fit earlier, then should be an easy fit. Use the Magnifying Glass to be sure all the legs are lined up with all the holes of the 18 pin socket.

Scrutinize the notch alignment of the chip, socket and PCB.

The chips can be removed if accidentally put in backwards, but a risk of bending some of the legs. While supporting the bottom of the PCB push down the chip in the middle. Push the chip again at each end to ensure proper seating. Do the same with the other chip, again checking the notch and leg alignment.

Be sure the notch is matched on the PCB, Socket and Chip. Upper chip not installed yet.

Reinstall the D Board
Slide the PCB back in place. Note that it has to go under the gray plastic tab by the transition blocks next to the A Board first. Squeeze each gray plastic frame tab one at a time to seat the PCB. After the D Board is seated in the frame, replace the 8 screws back in their original locations. Be sure to start all screws before tightening any.

Verify alignment and push each transition block back down, locking each corner. Refer to any notes and pics to confirm the electrical connectors. Carefully align each connector before plugging back in. Don't forget the connector on the A Board.

Double check and inspect each screw, connector, transition block and both of the chips orientation.

Earth Quakes and Climbing Kids
I mentioned earlier how the CRT is front heavy, so decided to add a way of tying down the back more securely. Here in Southern CA of Earth Quakes, a good preventative measure. Also in case of a curious exploring climbing kid. I had a safety wire attached to an anchor on the wall and the back cover plastic AC cable hanger, but it was never a good solid anchor. In fact the cable hanger broke when I pulled the wire clear. A solid anchor is needed, I don't know why this was not factory installed. :?

Match up a threaded bolt, nut and two large fender washers. The bolt has to be just long enough to accommodate the thickness if the back cover plastic, the two fender washers, nut and a little extra for drilling a hole for safety wire. Be sure the bolt is not too long as to increase the depth of the CRT TV case. Drill out the hole in the threaded portion of the bolt tip for the safety wire to thread and anchor into. :idea:

When placing the bolt in the back of the case be sure it will not short on any internal electronics. I drilled out the hole in the back light gray TV cover where the old AC hanger hanger was before. It has plenty of clearance internally and is shorter then the plastic above. Mount the bolt with a fender washer on each side and prestage a length of safety wire thru the hole in the bolt thread before sliding the TV back in the shelf. :wink:

Replace the back cover with the 18 screws
Slide the back cover back on while lifting the black plastic video input panel up slightly. Be sure the AC cord is clear. Start all the eighteen screws before tightening any. Be sure to get a friend to lift the front heavy CRT back into the stand. Plug in all cables, slide the TV back into viewing position and cross fingers and toes. :?

The moment of truth
Be ready to turn the volume down on the TV panel. Sometimes it defaults to full blast on power up. Plug in the AC cord, the TV might power on without hitting the power button. You will hear a pop of the Degauss followed by a couple relay clicks. Then the TV will turn on. Start laughing hysterically because the TV now works, laugh maddening hysterically if it doesn't work. :D :lol: :P

If the TV works, I doubt if you will want to turn it off. Enjoy gaming, movies or regular TV for the rest of the day reaping in your DIY repair glory. AVOID TURNING OFF THEN BACK ON UNTIL THE TV HAS COOLED DOWN FOR A FEW HOURS. Maybe an over precaution, but since WEGAs are becoming rare, do what you can to keep your TV around. 8)

The D Board two chips are the most common fail on Wega TVs
A shame so many WEGA Trinitron TVs get tossed because of the chips failing. Expensive to get repaired at a Service Center, but inexpensive for the DIY repair. Though a meticulous repair, the two chips are under twenty bucks shipped. :mrgreen:

References

The very first Thread where I discovered about this inexpensive Repair:
http://k0lee.com/2011/05/fixing-a-sony- ... link-code/

The Hair Dryer temporary fix: http://www.jammersix.com/archives/sony- ... ow-to-fix/

My earlier post detailing initial steps of the repair:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=434526#p434526

I bought the MCZ3001DB Chips here, under twenty bucks shipped:
http://www.tristatemodule.com/p-7979-mcz3001db-shindengen-ic.aspx

A great read, over fifty pages of Sony Wega owners repairing with the chip.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=928945

Sony Tv Hidden Menu Service Codes. Have care if using this you can brick your WEGA!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries

Sony Support - https://www.sony.com/electronics/support
Sony Support Europe - https://campaign.odw.sony-europe.com/support/index.html

Addendum

I always advocate how great CRT Tubes are for a clear and bright pic viewed from any angle, with no upscaling issues for Retro Gaming Consoles. Here is another advantage of the a good quality bulky CRT. A built in surround sound system, check out the "Bose Reflect" Bass Box for the third speaker in the middle. I always wondered why my Sony has sounded so good with a True Surround sound option right in the TV Menu. You won't find a good direct reflect Bass Box inside any LCD, LED or Plasma Flat screen. Match this with a couple of amplified speakers on each side of the couch and enjoy the thunder. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Sony KV32HS500 Repair 03.jpg
Sony KV32HS500 Repair 03.jpg (249.22 KiB) Viewed 61132 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:58 am, edited 75 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide

by CRTGAMER Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:00 pm

If you can pull a PC Motherboard its easy
The Guide above may seem overwhelming, its just that I tried to detail every step of the repair with all the unknowns one might encounter. The actual repair is easy, just a little tricky when doing the desolder and solder work.

Anyone have suggestions on the Guide, please let me know and I'll update it.

neccrttv from the AVS Forum provided a list of Sonys that have the marginal chip. Anyone who has problems with their Sony can verify from the list if their TV has the marginal chips is inside.

I own both of these HDTVs, confirmed the original chip part numbers.

KV32HS500 Sony Wega HD CRT 4:3

KV32HV600 Sony Wega HD CRT 4:3

The KV32HS500 needed the repair, it now houses MCZ3001DB Chips. The KV32HV600 is still functioning with the factory MCZ3001D chips. The KV32HS500 was purchased brand new, the KV32HV600 was bought used at a Thrift store. I suspect it might eventually fail, there was a second KV32HV600 at the store that was not working, displaying the dreaded flashing red light. I have spare backup chips just in case.

If you Sony is on the list, order the inexpensive chips while you can still get them. Just in case of a future breakdown. Note that there may be other Sony TVs not on this list.

neccrttv wrote:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1366567

I prefer to go by chassis than model number since almost a lot of models in your list share the same chassis. I don't know if I can make of list of those I repaired... but this is a list of all models (maybe some others) that have MCZ3001's.
1: BA-6 Chassis
KV21FM100 BA6 Sony
KV29FA515 BA6 Sony
KV29FA315 BA6 Sony
KV21FA515 BA6 Sony
KV21FA315 BA6 Sony
KV29FS120 BA6 SONY
KV29FS100 BA6 ? (BA5D ?) SONY
KV29FA540 BA6 SONY
KV29FA340 BA6 SONY
KV29FA310 BA6 SONY
KV27FS120 BA6 SONY
KV27FA310 BA6 SONY
KV25FV300 BA6 SONY
KV25FS120 BA6 SONY
KV25FS100 BA6 SONY
KV24FS120 BA6 SONY
KV24FS100 BA6 SONY
KV21FS120 BA6 SONY
KV21FS100 BA6 SONY
KV21FM120 BA6 SONY
KV21FA540 BA6 SONY
KV21FA340 BA6 SONY
KV21FA310 BA6 SONY
KV21FA210 BA6 SONY
KV20FS120 BA6 SONY
KV14FV300 BA6 SONY

2: DA-4 -This is Sony's main HD chassis used in your TV CRTGAMER
KV42DRC800 DA4 SONY
KV40XBR800 DA4 SONY
KV38DRC500 DA4 SONY
KV36XBR800 DA4 SONY
KV36HS500 DA4 SONY
KV36HS420 DA4 SONY
KV34XBR800 DA4 SONY
KV34HS420 DA4 SONY
KV34DRC500 DA4 SONY
KV32HV600 DA4 SONY
KV32HS500 DA4 SONY
KV32HS420 DA4 SONY
KV30HS420 DA4 SONY
KV29DRC420 DA4 SONY
KV27HS420 DA4 SONY
KP65WV600 DA4X SONY
KP60WV600 DA4X SONY
KP57WV600 DA4X SONY
KD34XS955 DA4 SONY
KD30XS955 DA4 SONY
KD34XBR960 DA4 SONY
KD34XBR970 DA4 SONY
(this list is missing a few maybe)

3: DX-1A Chassis (This is the HD chassis used in previous XBR models and others.
KV40XBR700 DX1A Sony
KV42DRC700 DX1A SONY
KV36XBR450H DX1A SONY
KV36XBR450 DX1A SONY
KV36XBR400 DX1A SONY
KV36HS20H DX1A SONY
KV36HS20 DX1A SONY
KV32XBR450 DX1A SONY
KV32XBR400 DX1A SONY
KV32HS20 DX1A SONY
KV42DRC700 DX1A SONY

4: AX1X chassis - Used in projection CRT'S - Another model that I repaired for the ZCD (zero cross detect) problem.
KP51WS520 AX1X SONY
KP46WT520 AX1X SONY
KP57WS520 AX1X SONY
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 24 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair

by D.D.D. Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 pm

Damn that's just impressive. Were you a technician before or something??
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:51 pm

D.D.D. wrote:Damn that's just impressive. Were you a technician before or something??

Thanks. The AVS Forum site linked in the OP really helped me tackle this repair. I figure this Guide will encourage others to repair rather then toss their hard to replace WEGAs. I'm lucky to be influenced by vocational courses from High school, I took all the shops. Constantly playing with my high school hot rod which I still own and working on Catapults in the Navy also helped.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:14 pm

What I would like to know is a safe way to discharge the flyback transformer. I mean, TV techs must have a way to do this since they can't be bothered to wait a few days.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:37 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:What I would like to know is a safe way to discharge the flyback transformer. I mean, TV techs must have a way to do this since they can't be bothered to wait a few days.

I would not do it, a few day wait is no big deal
The TV has to sit for a while for the heat sinks to cool off anyways. Besides you are not unplugging the Flyback or main power cables for this repair. The risks of damage to the capacitors and killing yourself is not worth it. It involves grounding the Flyback Transformer cable from the CRT to the metal frame of the TV. :!:

But if you really want to try, read the link: http://www.h-i-r.net/2009/12/flyback-tr ... harge.html

IS THE GROUND A GOOD ONE? :?
Attachments
CRT Discharge 01.jpg
CRT Discharge 01.jpg (81.91 KiB) Viewed 59626 times
CRT Discharge 02.jpg
CRT Discharge 02.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 59622 times
CRT Discharge 03.jpg
CRT Discharge 03.jpg (74.1 KiB) Viewed 59621 times

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 am

Wow, great guide! I've been contemplating adjusting the convergence of the lower half of my WEGA via the magnetic adjustment knobs built into it, but have been a little leery of messing with the picture tube as I hear touching a ground and any exposed metal connecting it (those rubber grommets on the rear of the tube) can fry you. My friend's dad got thrown across a room - luckily he survived but he got burned pretty bad and saw his life flash before his eyes. From what I read, the proper way to discharge a picture tube is via a Cantenna/Dummy Load. Normal sized CRT TVs have to sit unplugged for 2+ weeks to completely discharge via static, but these picture tubes are huge - I'm thinking they'd probably take more than that, but I don't know. I can't -not- play Nintendo for that long. When I get back from my next big job I will buy one of those dummy load devices for a decent price and post a guide on how I fixed my convergence, as well as the online vendor that I found to have the best deal on one. I'll be happy to make up a guide for tweaking the service menu before I make that guide (my next big job will be about 45 days long). I'll go through my service manuals within the next week and post what I know of the different adjustments available to most of these TVs - their internal adjustments available via your remote are incredibly extensive, and all it takes is the right timing of the service menu button combination from standby (turned off) mode - [DISPLAY] , [5], [VOLUME +], [POWER]. I'll provide more details as soon as I have time. BTW, any changes you make will not be permanent until you save them via the remote code [MUTE], [ENTER] so feel free to try anything.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:45 pm

I'm looking for the service manual for KV-24FS100 - I thought I had it but google is failing me with all the click throughs on these cheap sites.

I've determined my issue is just horizantal and vertical scaling/convergence - tilt correction doesn't fix it - only makes the game a little more level. If this were a pc monitor it would be very easy to correct - hoping the same goes here.

Looking forward to your guide Anapan.
homerging

by homerging Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:13 pm

I vaguely remember hearing that with a larger CRT the self-discharge time is far longer than a smaller CRT. I think discharged or not the best practice is to not touch anything unless you have to.

With the service menu it's important to write down the original settings before changing anything. Many settings are not global but specific to the picture or display mode making for many variables. Some people have effectively bricked their TVs by resetting everything to defaults by mistake but I think this requires a 3-button combination. 7, 8 and 9 on the remote should be kept clear of unless you know what you're doing.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=531494
These Sony HD CRTs have a severe "red push" by default on 60Hz modes which should be disabled. 14-15-6-4 is much better imo. They also often had severe overscan by default, which can be corrected in the service menu.

There is a setting that disables all internal processing thus eliminating processing-lag but with supposedly with some risk to the television.

I'd like to clarify this a bit
homerging wrote:The Eastern Hemisphere market KV-HR and KV-HX models give 10 blinks for a D board error. Those TVs often contained MCZ3001DBs. 6 blinks from those models instead indicates an A board error.
There are two MCZ3001D* chips on the D board in the HR and HX, at IC8002 and IC6400. The IC8002 MCZ3001D* will give 10 blinks when faulty, but a faulty MCZ3001D* at IC6400 may yield 6 blinks when faulty, falsely implying the A board is the problem. It looks like that for the HR/HX it is usually a single-chip fix.

Allegedly, IC8002 and IC6400 utilise different portions of the MCZ3001D* chip meaning an MCZ3001D* chip in IC8002 gone bad may still work in IC6400 (equivalent to IC6501 as it seems to be on the XBRs). That is, it is sometimes possible to 'fix' the problem by merely swapping the chips. I'm sure this would be a bad idea unless you intended to socket both ICs anyway, and even then....
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Still Ticking
Happy to report that it has been over three weeks and my HD CRT WEGA is still working beautiful! I was concerned about another component on the PCB causing the chips to fail. Looks like it is just the chips that went bad, maybe a power surge when turning on? Perhaps the revised B chips are more durable?

Under Twenty Bucks
I went ahead and ordered a backup pair, just in case the chips ever fail again. Good that I installed the 18 pin sockets, it will be an easy fix the next go around. Best to get the chips while they are inexpensive and available. A phone order gave me a better shipping rate. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Sony Chip Purchase.jpg
Sony Chip Purchase.jpg (90.64 KiB) Viewed 59116 times

Return to Guides