Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Special Edition Games List Guide

by CRTGAMER Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:38 pm

Undocumented Unique Controllers for PS2 Games

I mentioned on the previous page about discovering a couple PS2 games that work with the old grey PS1 Flight Stick. This is an undocumented feature with only one of the hundreds of PS2 games that work in true analog with the old Flightstick. Makes the game XGIII Extreme G Racing one of a kind special with the unique capability. The old PSX Flightstick was considered obsolete, no longer supported on any more games let alone working on the PS2. That is until I discovered this, updated Wiki with this info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Analog_Joystick

There were several PS2 games that worked with the old Flightstick in the digital mode. However the only game that utilized true analog controls with the Flightstick is XGIII Extreme G Racing. RType uses Analog and Digital, but the Analog mode works as digital only one speed. XGIII has proportional steering with the Flightstick, the more you push the stick the more the cycle turns.

Image Image

I received this PM from vlame; now I wonder if the JogCon can also work on PS2 games?

An interesting review video, Thanks vlame. I did not know about the force feedback kicking the wheel around. The video alluded that the Jogcon wheel springs back to the middle, is that true? Are there limiting stops or can it spin continuously in one direction?

As in the PSX Flightstick a shame only a limited amount of games supported, in this case the two PS1 Ridge Racers. Curious if it could work on the older "Flightstick Mode" PS1 games or maybe even any PS2 games.

An undocumented discovery
I found one PS2 game that does work with the old PSX Flightstick in the unique green light DUAL ANALOG mode, maybe JogCon may work with the same game too? The game is PS2 XGIII Extreme G Racing.

If anyone discovers any games especially PS2 games other then the two PS1 Ridge Racers that work with the JogCon please post, I'll update the OP here if any PS2 games are discovered.

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:38 pm

^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Some great Links! Looks like the Jogcon spinner is free wheeling but can have stops software encoded when adjusted in the settings of the Ridge Racer Game. Amazed this is done with the force feedback motor. :shock:

ImageImage

Agree unlikely the Jogcon will work on any other game, but you never know. The PSX Flightstick was supposed to be for only for certain pre Dual Shock PS1 games, yet a PS2 game was discovered to work with it. One of the links above mentioned the NeGcon working with Wipeout. Here is another pre Dual Shock Controller that might also work on a PS2 game.

Curious if the JogCon may work on some Spinner games from Arcade compilations.

I have a NeGon, will have to give it a test run with some PS2 driving games. :mrgreen:

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:02 pm

well i plugged the jogcon in my pc and see no input for the jogger. it must be software specific.

Breakout, PSX Ridge Racer Type 4 and the PS2 Ridge Racer V.

any idea what type pf controller breakout looks for?

i don't have many psx or ps2 games to try.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:12 pm

CRT, have you used the PS1 Wu-Tang controller?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:48 am

vlame wrote:well i plugged the jogcon in my pc and see no input for the jogger. it must be software specific.

Breakout, PSX Ridge Racer Type 4 and the PS2 Ridge Racer V.

any idea what type pf controller breakout looks for?

i don't have many psx or ps2 games to try.
The JogCon controller is a puzzler, now PS1 Breakout reported to work! The Breakout back cover does state Mouse and "Special Controller" with a number I think states SLUH-08059. The JogCon is worth exploring to verify on other Spinner games in Arcade compilations! I wonder if other PSX Mouse games such as Tempest X might also work?
Breakout NTSC Back.jpg
Breakout NTSC Back.jpg (245.44 KiB) Viewed 5464 times

Opa Opa wrote:CRT, have you used the PS1 Wu-Tang controller?
No, I just found out about it thru vlame's link. Even though its a strange looking controller, looks to use the standard buttons. It should be compatible with most PS1 digital control games.

This Thread is really getting off topic, but thats okay. Some great info coming out. Looks like a lot of PS1 Special editions are packed with unique controllers. But I am only compiling unique PS2 games in the OP. I'll add any PS2 special compilations that include extras such as a custom controller.

Also any undocumented special features as in the obsolete controllers working on certain PS2 games. Please feel free to add Replies for any other information such as these older controllers for the PS1.
Looking for any PS2 Games that have Extra Content. Just add as much info as you can, to share knowledge. The goal is to track down ALL SPECIAL EDITION PS2 games with bonus extras and any games that have a 2 Disc Case. I'll keep the OP List updated with every new Reply. This list will help others in their quest to find PS2 Special Editions.

vlame
Next-Gen

by vlame Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:03 am

back on topic: you should find the barcodes (or Sony tag numbers) for all of the games, because some of us may want to buy online and accidentally order the reprint that doesn't have the bonuses.

would VF4 Evo count?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/563568-virt ... /box-51513
it had new content, different from the VF4 disc. sold only as GH in usa.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:20 am

vlame wrote:would VF4 Evo count?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/563568-virt ... /box-51513
it had new content, different from the VF4 disc. sold only as GH in usa.

I completely forgot about Virtua Fighter 4. Good thinking.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:25 am

WTF? How was VF4 NOT on the list already? Haha.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:32 am

noiseredux wrote:WTF? How was VF4 NOT on the list already? Haha.

Maybe because 90% of the user base here plays Street Fighter?
Return to Guides