Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Defender: Together Retro Discussion

by racketboy Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:44 pm

The first installment of the Together Retro game club is the arcade classic, Defender.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/arcade/2 ... ender.html
Please use this thread for all general discussion of the game.
Last edited by racketboy on Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
nocturnalnerd
64-bit

by nocturnalnerd Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:11 pm

Is it ok to play a flash Defender clone
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:57 pm

nocturnalnerd wrote:Is it ok to play a flash Defender clone

Better than nothing, I suppose :)
If you find a really good one, feel free to post a link
nayten

by nayten Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 am

racketboy, maybe add this link to your original post:

http://midwayarcade.com/classic.php

Midway still has the original arcade version of Defender online for free, emulated through Shockwave.
Zed
8-bit

by Zed Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:32 am

That's the one I'm playing, it's pretty accurate - and hard as ever.
General Chaos
128-bit

by General Chaos Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:31 am

nayten wrote:racketboy, maybe add this link to your original post:

http://midwayarcade.com/classic.php

Midway still has the original arcade version of Defender online for free, emulated through Shockwave.

Nice--thanks for the link. I had hoped to find something like this. Of course I'm terrible. Mm, but I see Rampage is on there too. That's a favorite of mine.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:40 am

I used to play a very good Defender remake on the Amiga CD32, called Overkill (IIRC; it came bundled with a relatively crappy horizontal shooter called "Lunar C" or something). I bet there are very nice remakes out there, with a more reasonable difficulty level (Overkill was hard but not stupidly so).

Defender itself is hard as nails, and I really hate the arcade controls. They are not very intuitive for modern gamers used to 4-8 way directional sticks / pads. I'll try a bunch of times to get used and see what scores I can achieve for the sake of the club.

Ivo.
Zed
8-bit

by Zed Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:54 am

Ivo wrote:IDefender itself is hard as nails, and I really hate the arcade controls. They are not very intuitive for modern gamers used to 4-8 way directional sticks / pads. I'll try a bunch of times to get used and see what scores I can achieve for the sake of the club.

The arcade port at Midway's website has "modern" configurable controls. Gameplay doesn't get any easier, though. It's just a little less annoying :wink:
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:13 am

Ivo wrote:I used to play a very good Defender remake on the Amiga CD32, called Overkill (IIRC; it came bundled with a relatively crappy horizontal shooter called "Lunar C" or something). I bet there are very nice remakes out there, with a more reasonable difficulty level (Overkill was hard but not stupidly so).

Defender itself is hard as nails, and I really hate the arcade controls. They are not very intuitive for modern gamers used to 4-8 way directional sticks / pads. I'll try a bunch of times to get used and see what scores I can achieve for the sake of the club.

Ivo.

I think that is what some people enjoy about the game -- the challenge :)
leaphion

by leaphion Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:34 am

Found the game from my SNES ROMs collection. It's under Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits. Hard as hell, what can you say, but really interesting.

I think this club is pretty much had a great start, at least for me, since I actually found a very decent game from my collections, that I haven't played before.

Go Together Retro! :D
Return to Together Retro