ATGames Gopher Compatibility List

Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
WrathOskvro
64-bit

ATGames Gopher Compatibility List

Post by WrathOskvro »

What is a Gopher you ask? It's basically a handheld Sega Genesis/Mega Drive with the Firecore based emulation, and it takes an SD card. This one has a few improvements in terms of performance and compatibility over the other Firecore systems.

Other than a few people saying "this game or that game doesn't work", I haven't seen any sort of compatibility list for this system at all. So, I thought I'd start one since I just recently got myself a Gopher and SD card, and have seen quite a few people interested in the system. It really is a cool little handheld for the money. I'll have a full review and pros/cons later, but I'll go ahead and say take note, this thing will not save your game, unfortunately.

I’m only covering the games with problems, and then myths, or what I’ve read elsewhere on the internet. If you don’t see a game on here, assume it either works or I haven’t tested it yet. I tested most every good game that everyone likes though, such as the obvious Sonic games and major Sega titles. If you would like me to test something, leave a comment below and I’ll tell you if it works or not, then add to the list. Feel free to also pitch in if you own a Gopher as well!

I'm making up a compatibility list for the Gopher since I haven't seen anyone else do it. I'm only covering the games with problems, and then myths, or what I've read elsewhere on the internet. If you don't see a game on here, assume it either works or I haven't tested it yet. I tested most every good game that everyone likes though. If you would like me to test something, leave a comment below and I'll tell you if it works or not, then add to the list.

Non-Working
--------------
Eternal Champions – Works for about a minute then freezes
Nba Jam TE – *Certain builds work perfectly*
Power Instinct – Crashes after the first round.
Vectorman 2 – Works briefly, then freezes
Virtua Racing – Doesn’t work
VR Troopers – Boots, then character sprites disappear, and then the game just crashes.
Zool - Works briefly, then freezes

Myths
-------
Comix Zone doesn’t work? False. It works
Earthworm Jim 2 doesn’t work? False. It works.
Ghouls And Ghosts doesn’t work? False. It works
Mega Man: The Wily Wars doesn’t work? False. Certain builds work perfectly.
Super Street Fighter 2 doesn’t work? False. It works.
Streets Of Rage 3 doesn’t work? False. It works.
PAL titles don’t work? False. They work.

Partially Working
----------------
Adventures Of Batman & Robin – Works fine, but occasionally the sound will stop. It will go back to normal after a game over or going to the next level though.
Clay Fighter - Works, but will not let you control it unless using TV-Out. Works normally through TV-Out.
Contra Hard Corps – Works, but glitchy. You might die without knowing why
Double Dragon 3 – Works, but 1st player sprite is slightly garbled.
Fatal Fury 2 - Works, but will not let you control it unless using TV-Out. Works normally through TV-Out.
Lion King – Works, but glitchy graphics. Sprites often slightly garbled or you see double.
Mortal Kombat 3 – Works, but doesn’t let you do special moves. Works normally through TV-Out, however.
Ms. Pac Man – Unplayable unless using TV-Out.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 – Same as MK3
Virtua Fighter 2 - Works, but ground flickers. Does not affect gameplay
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Works, but will not let you control it unless using TV-Out. Works normally through TV-Out.

Other Notes
-------------
-As you can see above, some builds/versions of games work, while some games have no chance of working. For example, NBA Jam TE will work on a certain build, but no version of Eternal Champions will.
-Let me know if you want anymore games tested or if you know of some that do not work!
Last edited by WrathOskvro on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
Jungell
24-bit

Re: ATGames Gopher Compatibility List

Post by Jungell »

How about Castlevania Bloodlines, Splatterhouse 2 & Splatterhouse 3?

And how is the audio being emulated? Is it pitched down and off tune like most console clones?
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

All 3 of those games work fine. And yeah, it is pitched down unfortunately.
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
Jungell
24-bit

Post by Jungell »

Just out of curiosity... Have you tried to play any Master System roms?

Being that you only need a powerbase converter to play SMS games on you megadrive and most SMS roms works with the Everdrive. I guess it's different on emulators but it's still worth a try?

EDIT:
Now that I have a gopher of my own, I can tell you that SMS roms woth run on it!

I've also had some problems with Sonic 3. Might just be a bad rom.

Another one for the list:
Dracula works, if you skip the intro animations and the "preview".
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

Sorry I didn't get back to you. And yeah, I tried some SMS roms myself and unfortunately, they don't work. :\ And I'm pretty sure your Sonic 3 was probably just a bad rom. All the Sonic games work fine for me.
Jungell
24-bit

Post by Jungell »

WrathOskvro wrote:Sorry I didn't get back to you. And yeah, I tried some SMS roms myself and unfortunately, they don't work. :\ And I'm pretty sure your Sonic 3 was probably just a bad rom. All the Sonic games work fine for me.

Yes, I have observed that roms with the file ending ".smd" does not work. While roms ending with ".md", ".gen", ".bin" works just fine.
Jungell
24-bit

Post by Jungell »

I didn't want to start a new thread just for this one piece of information, so I'll make a post here since it's relevant to all Gopher buyers.

I found, upon playing on this device, that the low battery indicator does not always work as intended. A friend of mine played on it, with great joy, when his face suddenly took on an expression of confusion, which soon was replaced by one of angst.
He gave me the device and told me that something must surely be wrong with it and ensured me that he had just been playing, as I had witnessed.
Sure enough, the directional pad was not responding to input. The device did not accept input of any kind.
I feared the worst. Had the money and time I spent gone to waist? So I tried the obvious things. I rebooted it. Took out the battery and things of that nature but to no use. The device would not respond. The low battery indicator did not light up, only the power indicator and the screen.
Only, I took notice on the brightness of the screen as it appeared much dimmer than before.

So I charged it and with great success. The device now operates as though it was brand new.

So, to sum up this message;
If your device stops responding to tactile input, fear not, for it only needs charge.
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

Thanks for that bit of info. Tis much appreciated.

Just letting everyone know I'm probably going to make a full review and possible demonstration. Will be posting it on a site as a full article, will cover the compatibility, any flaws it has, etc.
limtc

Post by limtc »

Hi!

I am a long time reader of racketBOY, and after reading this thread I got interested and bought myself a Gopher! This is a really great machine!

However, I can't seem to get SD Card to work. I format the SD Card under FAT on Mac, create GAME folder (read this on another thread although the manual does not mentioned it), copy files to it, and Gopher just said "Fail to read game".

1) Tried copy files to GAME and root folders.
2) Tried both smd and bin files.

What have I done wrong? Please help!
dl77002

Post by dl77002 »

Hey there! I realize I'm resurrecting quite an old thread - but having just received my Ultimate Portable I'd like to share a few more incompatible games. If anyone has had success with these games, please let me know.

Battle Toads / Double Dragon
Dark Castle
Earthworm Jim 2 (I realize the OP says it does work, but that's not been my experience.)
Evander Holyfield
Knuckles Chaotix
Megaman
Ren & Stimpy
Skithin'
Snake Rattle n' Roll
Sub-Terrania
Virtual Bart