World is Falling Apart Thread (Locked forever)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...

Post by Limewater »

Croooow! wrote:
Flake wrote:I was wondering that same thing. His opinions often stand in interesting contrast. I also hope he is alright. As far as I know, Bahrain has not yet become violent but looking at what happened in Egypt...

There have actually been a handful of deaths and hundreds of injuries in Bahrain, hopefully he's not amongst those.

I checked his profile earlier and it said that his last login was this morning.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Alive and well :D

situation here is very different
we are only like 600,000 compared to 80 million egyptians

its hard for things to go out of hand
not many dead , just 6 which deserved it(attacked police)
I believe in the USA, you would be shot at if you attack a cop right?

situation is fairly safe and peaceful, nothing is going to happen this is just your usual chaos
over the years we had many similar situations, this time its just hyped because it is affected by what is happening in the region .

If anything there is to be feared its this being a spark to regional war which will include multiple countries. Extremely unlikely, but who knows?

in addition, I want to say what you see int he media is highly biased and false in more ways than you would believe. Wrong stats are given all the time, and what is upsetting is that big names including BBC and financial times and others report false information and are one sided.
They can really change the perspective of things.

Also, situation here is different from tunisia and Egypt. For example, Egypt are a population of 80 million, I hear 40% are living on $1 or $2 a day...that doesn't meant the other 60% are rich and well. People in power abused the civilians in multiple ways, even though its a democracy.
Also in Tunisia, I know this will be hard to believe in a middle eastern country, but you weren't even aloud to go mosques to prayer. To things into perspective, thats like not being aloud to go to church on Sunday.
So those regimes were very abusive and needed a revolution .
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

I understand that the situation in Bahrain is different than say, Libya, but the media here tends to lump things together. You say this is a part of usual chaos, do you see anything really changing due to these protests? (Sorry I just love to get a personal view on these kinds of things.)
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

kingmohd84 wrote:its hard for things to go out of hand

Yeah, I'm sure they viciously attacked those cops boots with their head. :roll: Instigating violence is a common tactic police use to turn popular opinion against protesters. Even in the supposed "free world" agent provocateurs have instigated violence at the WTO in Seattle, and the G8 in Toronto, etc. Never trust the cops, they always fight dirty.

And here they are today, fighting dirty, and massacring peaceful protesters:

"Everybody was on the ground. They were shooting at the heads and chest," said a shaken Mohamed Nabi, 27, sitting with two friends in the besieged emergency room while awaiting care for one man's wounded leg. "We were chanting, 'peaceful, peaceful,' but the government was willing to have a massacre. We weren't afraid. We were willing to die in this way."
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@Crooowl

Things have got a lot worse for reasons I do not understand, the government over-reacted in my opinion and made this thing sound bigger than it is, which made the protest a much more serious thing than it was . If you follow the situation you will see that things started very simply and then it grew very huge and media is not really helping.

I can tell you this...
According to my opinion and the government's actions, this whole issue will either end by tomorrow and things will calm down , or things are going to blow up like never before. So tomorrow is a really important day.

Hatta wrote:
kingmohd84 wrote:its hard for things to go out of hand

Yeah, I'm sure they viciously attacked those cops boots with their head. :roll: Instigating violence is a common tactic police use to turn popular opinion against protesters. Even in the supposed "free world" agent provocateurs have instigated violence at the WTO in Seattle, and the G8 in Toronto, etc. Never trust the cops, they always fight dirty.

And here they are today, fighting dirty, and massacring peaceful protesters:

"Everybody was on the ground. They were shooting at the heads and chest," said a shaken Mohamed Nabi, 27, sitting with two friends in the besieged emergency room while awaiting care for one man's wounded leg. "We were chanting, 'peaceful, peaceful,' but the government was willing to have a massacre. We weren't afraid. We were willing to die in this way."

These people are liars. Trust me the media is all wrong, and even when they are right they twist things so much.
here are some points.

For example, you all heard that Bahrain is upset and going into a fight and how much the government is abusing the people and killing them.
What you didn't hear is just last Sunday and before everything even start by couple of days the King gave an amount of $2,650 to each married couple(family) in our country as a gift for a 10 year celebration of the parliament!
As far as I know that includes widows and divorced women with children. Did you see that in the LA times?

One of the protests supporters here stupidly reports stuff against the government and calling against the current regime, and then retweets that he just applied for the $2,650 gift online processes and he is happy with the easy process, what kind of hypocrisy is this?

Another guy goes on tv (BBC I think) to say that protesters on the Pearl roundabout , which you might have seen in the news, reached an absurd 100,000 protesters!
Did I tell you that our whole nation is only 600,000 or so?
I can confirm 100% to you that the roundabout reached a maximum of 10-15 thousand. I might be exaggerating when I say 15, I don't think that place can carry more than 10 thousand humans.

I got an inside source that told me that the protesters have stolen blood from a blood bank from a local hospital and spread it on them and on the streets to make things look more violent on tv.

One of the protests leaders said "If Saudia Arabia interferes in this, Iran will interfere in our support". Does this guy sound a patriotic guy to you?
I bet you didn't hear that in the media , did you?

Did you know one of the protesters ran with his car into 15 of the police men? Did you hear that?

One New York Times reporter , under the name of Nick Kristof , is reporting such false information, like the government is having a helicopter shooting at him, what kind of joke is this? Does the government have nothing better to do than follow a reporter with a helicopter to shoot him?
Local jokes are starting to arise like "Kristof knows what Victoria Secret is", "Kristof knows how I met your mother"
http://twitter.com/NickKristof

The stories you hear are on sided and anti government to create chaos.

What you don't know in past events is those group of protesters having been creating chaos all the time. Last year or the year before it, two guys in a car, one got injured I believe and the other guy is dead. You know why?
They were carrying a bomb to a local mall, where one of them tinkered with the bomb in the wrong way and it blew IN the car as they were heading to the mall to set it up.

Here is a video from my local TV, you can see cops actually hurt in the hospital
and after clearing the area of the "peaceful" protest, look what kind of weapons were found left from the "peaceful" protest.

I just want to be clear , in my country its absolutely illegal to own any kind of weapons , even something like a combat knife. You might face trouble with a huge kitchen knife in the airport. so how did these weapons got through? Was it all planned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6B02BDY ... ntrinter=1

I know you might not understand what is he saying, but pictures are enough.

I would like to hear everyone's opinion on the video.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

kingmohd84 wrote:
I would like to hear everyone's opinion on the video.

Nice graphic images of the surgery there. Were there any similar images of the wounded protesters? Looks to me like you're being manipulated by a biased media. What network was that on, BTW?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

^I don't mean to get into this discussion really, but I hope you're not implying that our own media is somehow unbiased, because that's the last word I'd ever use to describe it.

Media thrives on sensationalism, first and foremost.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

Post by gtmtnbiker »

Well, I certainly hope that kingmohd84 and the rest of Bahrain do not get hurt and that the situation gets resolved peacefully one way or the other.
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

Flake wrote:Am I the only one astonished by what is happening in North Africa / Southern Middle East?

Doubtful, since it is on the news constantly, with news outlets purporting a mixture of fact and fiction, depending on what liberal news channel you watch (either the self admitted liberals of cnn or the fox neocon network, a collection of liberals in denial).

But the real question is to what degree are you concerned? Assuming you have no personal connection to the Middle East, the next obvious concerns would be national security, economic repercussions and other similar concerns.

With anti-war candidate and Nobel Peace prize winner, Barrack Obama, turned pro-war, pro-interventionism and pro-patriot act as president, I would be somewhat concerned. The last thing we need is another excuse to extend our military influence at the risk of collapsing of our monetary system.
glynnahab
128-bit

Post by glynnahab »

saturnfan wrote:The last thing we need is another excuse to extend our military influence at the risk of collapsing of our monetary system.

I have no frame of reference in this conversation, but it bears worth mentioning that the US used WWII to lift itself out of the Great Depression. Hopefully this isn't a repeat of history.

Stay safe, kingmohd84. Here's hoping that whatever happens in the end is in the best interest of the citizens, and not those who hold the power.