World is Falling Apart Thread (Locked forever)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Flake

World is Falling Apart Thread (Locked forever)

Post by Flake »

Am I the only one astonished by what is happening in North Africa / Southern Middle East?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
AppleQueso

Re: So the Islamic world is kind of falling apart...

Post by AppleQueso »

I'm hoping that something better comes out of this mess. It's really nice to see people triumphing over corruption.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I hope that the people actually do triumph in this instance. That does not seem to be what is happening in Egypt (which got the ball rolling on this) where the military has grabbed power with both hands.
IcKy99
Next-Gen

Post by IcKy99 »

i was also thinking about it looks like multiple countries are taking a look at what the Egyptian people have done and they're tired of being shit on. i for one am proud of these people
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Flake wrote:I hope that the people actually do triumph in this instance. That does not seem to be what is happening in Egypt (which got the ball rolling on this) where the military has grabbed power with both hands.

I prefer to have an optimistic outlook regarding egypt. It's really way too soon to tell what will ultimately be the outcome there.
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

I think we're forgetting that Tunisia is the country that inspired Egypt with its model of overthrowing its dictator. I really like where this is headed and hope it spreads to even more countries, as long as those transitions to more democratic societies can go smoothly.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

Jamisonia
128-bit

Post by Jamisonia »

Its really too early to say either way. Could this go the way of East Germany and Egypt becomes a proud democratic republic? Or will it go the way of Iran where the revolution ultimately consumes itself? Probably neither.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

I'd like to hear kingmohd's take on what's happening in Bahrain right now.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Flake

Post by Flake »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:I'd like to hear kingmohd's take on what's happening in Bahrain right now.

I was wondering that same thing. His opinions often stand in interesting contrast. I also hope he is alright. As far as I know, Bahrain has not yet become violent but looking at what happened in Egypt...
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

Flake wrote:I was wondering that same thing. His opinions often stand in interesting contrast. I also hope he is alright. As far as I know, Bahrain has not yet become violent but looking at what happened in Egypt...

There have actually been a handful of deaths and hundreds of injuries in Bahrain, hopefully he's not amongst those.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton