George Willborn And Family File $100 Million Lawsuit

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Luke
Next-Gen

George Willborn And Family File $100 Million Lawsuit

Post by Luke »

Long story short:

White family refuses to sell their 1.7 million dollar house when they find out the bidder is African American. African American family now wants $100 million for racial discrimination.

No doubt it is racial discrimination, but it is someones personal choice, and I in no way support it, but they have the right to sell to who they want to. It's not like they're running a business.

Pisses me off that some jerk wouldn't sell their house to a black family, pisses me off someone feels they are entitled to 100 million dollars because they have been discriminated against.

I think they're both jerks. And since I discriminate against jerks, I'm glad these two have found each other, and will waste a ton of time, effort, and money in something that won't go anywhere.

edit*

link:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/2 ... 97219.html

I like how the lawyer is honest. He basically says "I want money".
GamerMON
Next-Gen

Re: George Willborn And Family File $100 Million Lawsuit

Post by GamerMON »

I don't know if they are entitled to money but they should be allowed to buy the house. But then again there are other homes in neighborhoods that don't discriminate (if just one neighbor was like the former owners would want to live there?) The housing discrimination that I think is really stupid is the "you can't put in writing you are looking for a male or female roommate".
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Luke wrote:No doubt it is racial discrimination, but it is someones personal choice, and I in no way support it, but they have the right to sell to who they want to. It's not like they're running a business.

'cept they went through a Realtor.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

"Mental anguish" please. This one guy discriminated against me once so I deserve to retire and live the good life to start the healing process. It certainly won't perpetuate his hate and racism because I want to bleed him dry and perpetuate stereotypes against my race.

I'm not supporting the racist asshole but the lawsuit is certainly not going to prove a point. They simply thought they might have a chance to get rich quick and jumped on the bandwagon. They are hoping enough people will protest and make a big deal out of it that the court will grant some ridiculous amount in fear of rioting or something.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Just out of curiosity is there no difference between a person who is African and becomes a US citizen and a black person who has lived in America for over 300 years? I find it funny the term African American is used to desribe someones race. What do you call a white african who becomes a us citizen?

From what I gather only whites can just be called just Americans, every other race is called the country of orgin plus american, except Native Americans of course. This to me is more stupid than someone not wanting to sell their house to black person, which of course is still stupid. I wouldn't sell my house to that guy either, but because he is an awful comedian, can he sue me?
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

pepharytheworm wrote:Just out of curiosity is there no difference between a person who is African and becomes a US citizen and a black person who has lived in America for over 300 years? I find it funny the term African American is used to desribe someones race. What do you call a white african who becomes a us citizen?

From what I gather only whites can just be called just Americans, every other race is called the country of orgin plus american, except Native Americans of course. This to me is more stupid than someone not wanting to sell their house to black person, which of course is still stupid. I wouldn't sell my house to that guy either, but because he is an awful comedian, can he sue me?

There's actually a couple people in my school that are technically "African American", despite being white. :lol:
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

It is used for "white" people too. I am Irish-American. There are Italian Americans, German Americans etc...The only people who were considered "white" in the US originally though were English Protestants.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

AppleQueso wrote:
Luke wrote:No doubt it is racial discrimination, but it is someones personal choice, and I in no way support it, but they have the right to sell to who they want to. It's not like they're running a business.

'cept they went through a Realtor.

Realtor didn't make the decision, nor did he/she make the decision. All on the sellers. Consider that squashed.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

pepharytheworm wrote:Just out of curiosity is there no difference between a person who is African and becomes a US citizen and a black person who has lived in America for over 300 years? I find it funny the term African American is used to desribe someones race.

Agreed. It is ludicrous when people label Halle Berry as the first African American woman to win an oscar. She's not African American. I'm second generation German, and I owuld never consider myself German American.

Now my buddy Moses, he's African American. Born and raised in Sudan, has lived in America for less than a decade. Had to fight left and right just in order to get his wife to be able to leave Sudan and come to America. How does he classify himself? As a proud American.
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

It is not even the same thing though. American is a nationality while the others are ethnicities. Sure there is an American ethnicity but based on what you said neither you nor I belong to that group.