2%
Other
6%

Total votes : 157
swiftzx
Next-Gen

What is your Favorite 2d series?

by swiftzx Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:49 pm

A while back, I made a "what is your favorite fighting game series viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19104&st=0&sk=t&sd=a", but realized that ten options is too little and left out other people's favorite game series, so I'm going to make a separate 2d and 3d thread. Don't forget to post what you picked :wink: I chose Street fighter, Vs. series, and Gundam battle assalut(don't ask) :)
Last edited by swiftzx on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Dylan
Next-Gen

Re: What is your Favorite 2d series?

by Dylan Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Darkstalkers, Vs. series, and Guilty Gear. These games all have an over-the-topness that I've absolutely fallen in love with.
Exile

by Exile Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:01 pm

My picks were Guilty Gear, King of Fighters and Street Fighter. I'm huge fan of the Guilty Gear series (how i wish to find an arcade in my area which has GG..), SF and KoF are kind of obvious since I've grown playing those.. and also spent a lot of money on those arcades :lol:
Systems: Dreamcast (x2), GameGear, PS2 (2x), PSP Slim, PS3, Ds Lite, MegaDrive, PSPGo
GamerMON
Next-Gen

by GamerMON Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:35 am

Street fighter, VS, and then Darkstalkers. I love the over topness but when it comes down to it, I just like beating people with Ryu and Ken (and sometimes Akuma).
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:42 am

. Street Fighter (Amazing, it just flows so well when done right)
. KOF (Its like a harder, tighter, deeper SF, but I feel it lacks the flow and polish of the SF series)
. Darkstalkers (I love the SF Alpha Series, this game is one of the big reasons I own a Saturn)
the7k
Next-Gen

by the7k Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:51 am

I went with:

King of Fighters: Lots of characters with well-defined, interlocking histories between them. Also, a combat system that is focused completely on offense.

Also, the decision to go with 3 characters was great for those who like to experiment with characters like myself. It means that you can choose characters you'd like to learn with in competitive environments, while still keeping a strong character in to make sure you aren't totally defenseless.

Samurai Shodown: Lots of great characters (only those with the blackest of hearts can not like Cham Cham and Galford) and a combat system that focuses on counter-attacks, rather than stringing together long combos.

Darkstalkers: I'd actually say this is the second most influential fighting game out there. Air projectiles, Air blocking, chain combos, character-specific gameplay mechanics (Dark Forces), long-form move inputs (such as LP,LP,Forward,LK,HP. It was Morrigan's Darkness Illusion almost a full year before it was Akuma's Shin Goku Satsu!) and various other little things that would be borrowed heavily - and usually incorrectly credited to either Guilty Gear or the Vesus series.

Aside from that, though, it also features some of the most unique and charming character design to come out of Capcom short of Street Fighter III. Add to that the incredible and creative animations, and it's the most undeservingly overlooked fighting franchise out there.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:56 am

it's the most undeservingly overlooked fighting franchise out there.

QFT, couldnt agree with that more, I wish they would work on DS4 rather than rehashing SFIV. :(
Assman
24-bit

by Assman Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:46 am

Went with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. MK's just about my favorite series ever (after Sonic, anyway) and while I am a fan of Street Fighter, I'll play absolutely anything that lets me jump in and pull off some air fireballs, dragon punches and the motherfucking Shun Goku Satsu. SVC Chaos, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Street Fighter Alpha, Marvel vs. Capcom; however broken the game may be, I don't care, just give me Akuma and let me fuck shit up and I'm a happy camper.
(-_-)
64-bit

by (-_-) Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:57 am

King of Fighters is probably my most favourite because of the amount of characters, and the amount of genuinely interesting characters. I also love the style of the series. At least up to 12. Darkstalkers for the same reason. Unique and awesome characters. Third would be guilty gear because of how fast and smooth everything feels as well as being one of the best 2d fighters to look at.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

by swiftzx Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm surprised that Fatal Fury has no votes :cry:
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Return to Fighters