AC Adapter Compilation

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: AC Adapter Compilation

Post by dsheinem »

Hobie-wan wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Ok, I am here to ask for help and plead ignorance about AC Adapters.

I just picked up an Odyssey 2 without an AC adapter from a member on the forum. They were using an SMS AC adapter to make it work, but I don't have an SMS. Can I use a Model 1 Genesis plug? Is there something else that might work?

If it was running fine with the 9 volt DC SMS adapter, then yes, it should work with a model 1 Gen pack too. I suppose the console is on with a DC input for the same reason the NES will work with a wide range of DC plugs. I'd check if the plugpack or the system gets extremely warm after a few minutes of use, but if not it will *probably be fine.

*edit*

Here's a brick and some games. Looks like the manuals are toast, but it looks like the official replacement plug for the Odyssey that came with the voice module. You get both KC games, Pick Axe Pete, and Attack of the Timelord which are good system games. The presence of KC's Cray Chase and Timelord further reinforce it being the later voice plugpack which is good and fine for the system alone. Though the carts are probably going to need TLC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-12-MAGNAVOX- ... 51912e8c06

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I did get about 10 games including KC Munchmen, so I'll test them out with the Genny 1 plug. Thanks for your help!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dsheinem wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Ok, I am here to ask for help and plead ignorance about AC Adapters.

I just picked up an Odyssey 2 without an AC adapter from a member on the forum. They were using an SMS AC adapter to make it work, but I don't have an SMS. Can I use a Model 1 Genesis plug? Is there something else that might work?

If it was running fine with the 9 volt DC SMS adapter, then yes, it should work with a model 1 Gen pack too. I suppose the console is on with a DC input for the same reason the NES will work with a wide range of DC plugs. I'd check if the plugpack or the system gets extremely warm after a few minutes of use, but if not it will *probably be fine.

*edit*

Here's a brick and some games. Looks like the manuals are toast, but it looks like the official replacement plug for the Odyssey that came with the voice module. You get both KC games, Pick Axe Pete, and Attack of the Timelord which are good system games. The presence of KC's Cray Chase and Timelord further reinforce it being the later voice plugpack which is good and fine for the system alone. Though the carts are probably going to need TLC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-12-MAGNAVOX- ... 51912e8c06

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. I did get about 10 games including KC Munchmen, so I'll test them out with the Genny 1 plug. Thanks for your help!

The Genny Model 1 plug works great. I spent too much time today playing Electronic Table Soccer!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

dsheinem wrote:The Genny Model 1 plug works great. I spent too much time today playing Electronic Table Soccer!

Awesome. Glad you're up and running. :)
ryanofcali
16-bit

Post by ryanofcali »

Sega Master System US
9v DC, 1A
pos --( o-- neg

Sega Genesis Model 1, Sega CD Model 2 US
9v DC, 1.2A
pos --( o-- neg

That .2 is why the master system does not work with a genesis "brick" as you call it because I know damn right its not the RF.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

ryanofcali wrote:Sega Master System US
9v DC, 1A
pos --( o-- neg

9v DC, 1.2A
pos --( o-- neg

That .2 is why the master system does not work with a genesis "brick" as you call it because I know damn right its not the RF.

:roll:

As long as the voltage, polarity, and AC/DC is correct, amperage can be higher. The system will simply pull what it needs. I know it works because I was using a Gen brick with my first SMS until I got the 'correct' one with my second boxed SMS.

When you buy a battery for your car, you do not have to match the amperage (the cold cranking amps) to some specific amount, you simply have to have enough for whatever your starter and weather conditions require. Larger engines and colder climates require higher amperage. If you want to buy a $200 big battery with 1000 CCA and cram it into a Yugo instead of buying the $35 dollar cheapo battery with 300 CCA, it will work because the starter will only pull what it needs.

I was trying to help you in the other thread and I have no agenda to keep you from playing your SMS. If you choose to ignore my correct information, it's your loss. You can see right above your post that I helped point D into using a Genesis brick to power an Odyssey 2 that had been previously shown to work with an SMS brick as well. You can continue to be stubborn if you want, but I am correct that it will work. If your SMS is not working with a Gen model 1 brick part number 1602, then there is something else wrong with it and you will simply be disappointed if/when you track down the model 3025 adapter that originally came with the SMS.
eSPy
64-bit

Post by eSPy »

some diagrams and numbers here from pinouts.ru

N64 power supply - http://pinouts.ru/Game/nintendo_power_pinout.shtml

xbox - http://pinouts.ru/Game/xbox_power_pinout.shtml
Atari 2600 Jr., NES, Gameboy, Genesis 1 and 2, Saturn, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Advance (with Supercard SD), Playstation (With Goldfinger), Nintendo 64, Playstation 2(modded), Nintendo DS (Fat) with Edge
ryanofcali
16-bit

Post by ryanofcali »

Hobie-wan wrote:
ryanofcali wrote:Sega Master System US
9v DC, 1A
pos --( o-- neg

9v DC, 1.2A
pos --( o-- neg

:roll:
It doesn't matter anymore I smashed the piece of shit to with a slegehammer I don't have time for sega poser bullshit anyway.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

ryanofcali wrote:It doesn't matter anymore I smashed the piece of shit to with a slegehammer I don't have time for sega poser bullshit anyway.

Good for you? Are we supposed to have learned something from your (supposed) fit of sledgehammer rage? I'm not sure what factual information about power bricks has to do with "sega poser bullshit".
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

Just found this thread! Hurray for me!

Anway, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Atari Lynx's AC adapter. I have a ton of different A/C adapters, so I figured I should check to see if any of those are compatible before I spend $20 on one from eBay.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

jfe2 wrote:Just found this thread! Hurray for me!

Anway, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about the Atari Lynx's AC adapter. I have a ton of different A/C adapters, so I figured I should check to see if any of those are compatible before I spend $20 on one from eBay.

Look on the bottom of the Lynx. It should probably have a sticker or molded information. Polarity has to match (the + and - indication of center or barrel), volts should be the same or very close (and only lower), mA on the brick can be the same or higher than what the console needs.