Together Retro: Phantasy Star

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Together Retro: Phantasy Star

Post by noiseredux »

without stepping on toes, I thought it would be alright if I started the thread for this? So who's playing?

I'm playing the GBA port that's available on the Phantasy Star Collection cart. It seems like a rather faithful port to me. I don't think they enhanced it in anyway for the GBA. I started a day early (yikes!) because, well I had a Sunday afternoon available to delve into it. And I'm glad I did, because as it turned out I needed to devote about an hour to grinding just to start the damn game! But once that was out of the way and I could actually win some battles and buy some equipment, etc I started to really like the game. So far I've got three people in my part (well two people and a cat).
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: Phantasy Star

Post by Hatta »

Glad to see you guys are doing this one. It's not just the best RPG on the SMS, it's the one of the best 8-bit RPGs period. Love the "3-d" dungeons. I played it through a few years ago though, so I'll skip it this time. But FWIW, I liked it more than PSII and PSIII. Haven't gotten to PSIV yet. There is quite a bit of lore that carries through the series, so it's definitely worth playing if you ever plan on playing the Genesis games.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I'm on the fence for playing this one as I recently started up a few other games...how long does it take for an average play through?
Crystalis
8-bit

Post by Crystalis »

I found a complete copy of this game for my SMS and it kinda just sat there for about a month. When I finally did play it, though, I couldn't put it down. It is a great 8-bit rpg, I'd say one of the best but some people would argue against that :|. Very similar to the first dragon warrior.

I like how you mentioned the grinding for an hour to start the game... lol. It's so true. And there's only one enemy that you can kill at the beginning, making it way worse. It's like a beginner's trap - if you start the game, and just try to make your way to the next town without farming a level or two, there's about a 50% chance you'll run into a pack of enemies that will kill you in a matter of seconds.

Just as a hint for anyone else playing through the game - the dungeons are relentless. They get bigger and bigger and I eventually had to map them out so I wouldn't get endlessly lost, because, well, there's no in-game map. That's one thing I feel would turn people away from the game but... I play shmups... so... a mastery challenge is my thing!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The article is almost done: I had an unexpected visit from my brother, his wife, and their two year old, and it will probably be the last time Ill see them until number two is born. And as much as I love you guys, seeing my family who I only see occasionally takes priority. That and there was a Borderlands expansion released last Thursday night...

I personally love Phantasy Star I & IV. I never finished either, but the whole package is just stellar. I think Phantasy Star I is one of the best 8bit RPGs and I rank IV up there with FF6 in story and gameplay. The dungeons in I do me in every time. I wish that the PS2 version was translated, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Edit:
And ofcourse, I love the Bakery Quest
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote:I'm on the fence for playing this one as I recently started up a few other games...how long does it take for an average play through?

We're on the same fence.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm telling you, if you can make it throught that first hour of killing Sworms, and then going back to that lady's house to recharge your HP for free over and over again, then you'll get to some parts that make you understand why everyone is saying it's one of the absolute greatest 8Bit RPG's released. I mean the scope of the game is absolutely epic for an 8bit release.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

So, what would be an average for a play through?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I dont know, I'll let you know at the end of the month. :)
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

I went through this one not to long ago and while i liked it i hate the dungeons with a passion.

As for playing time that is largely based on your patience for random battles and weather or not you find a map for the dungeons or write your own. And there is a great deal of grinding required both for levels and money.

It might just take a week or the whole month.
Last edited by arion on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.