No Rival Schools ever again.

Brawlers and Beatemups
the7k
Next-Gen

No Rival Schools ever again.

Post by the7k »

http://www.destructoid.com/no-rival-sch ... 7369.phtml

Apparently, Capcom somehow lost the rights to elements of their own game. How in the hell that happens, I don't fully understand - all you need to know is that Rival Schools won't be appearing on PSN or anywhere else. Fun times.
MrPopo

Re: No Rival Schools ever again.

Post by MrPopo »

the7k wrote:http://www.destructoid.com/no-rival-schools-on-psn-now-no-rival-schools-on-psn-ever-157369.phtml

Apparently, Capcom somehow lost the rights to elements of their own game. How in the hell that happens, I don't fully understand - all you need to know is that Rival Schools won't be appearing on PSN or anywhere else. Fun times.

One of the things they mention is the voicework and soundtrack. Capcom probably only had the rights for X amount of years, or only on platform X. Or maybe said music is now in an exclusive contract for something else.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Shame, Rival Schools was good solid fun. Always loved the female teacher character. Fun to play for and easy on the eyes
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
elvis
128-bit

Post by elvis »

I think throwing out words like "ever" are a bit silly.

If the current copyright owners want to, they can happily allow the game to be re-released. In fact, doing so would probably be a smart thing to do, given the current profitable market surrounding old games on modern consoles.

I'm not saying it's likely. It's just not as impossible as the article implies. We were told the same thing about Marvel vs Capcom 2 (due to split rights between the two owning companies), and yet we now have it on PSN and XBLA thanks to both companies agreeing to the re-release.
BigTinz
128-bit

Post by BigTinz »

Shite game, so good riddance.

However....I wonder if this effects Capcom vs. Snk 2 since there were rival school characters in that. :?
Krooner
64-bit

Post by Krooner »

I doubt the problem is with the characters didn't the put one in Tat V Cap?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

"To put at least one question to rest, unfortunately Rival Schools will not be making an appearance," says Capcom's Chris Svensson. "There are IP clearances and rights we no longer have (particularly pertaining to voicework/soundtrack I believe) so our IP management group has told us it can't be re-released. I'm sorry as it's one of the ones I really wanted to see be put back up

Emphasis added. The issue is not with with a specific character design. It appears to be with audio assets on the PS1 disk, thus precluding it from being rereleased. This does NOT mean that Capcom will never make another Rival Schools game, or be forced to remove a character from Rival Schools (but their voice would have to be redone).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
the7k
Next-Gen

Post by the7k »

Yeah, it's just saying that Rival Schools will never be a PS1 classic, or re-released on any other platform.

They could just remake the game with new voices and soundtracks (even though I loved those soundtracks...), but this is Capcom we're talking about. If it doesn't have "Cash The Fucking Check" written all over it, they won't touch it.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

There was ever any hope of this game showing up again in the first place? We are talking about Capcom here.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

One less step before Powerstone 3...