VirtualFX 3D TV Converter... does it work?

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

VirtualFX 3D TV Converter... does it work?

Post by REPO Man »

The website eDimensional has something called a VirtualFX 3D TV Converter. For $59.99, and comes with wireless pair of goggles.

From the website:

This unit harnesses the power of 3D and brings it right into your own living room, all in real-time. After years of research, a group of scientists and engineers have finally achieved what many have considered to be the impossible: Convert a standard 2D video image into a true, 3D rendering. What this means is that you can now watch virtually all of your favorite TV shows and sporting events, your entire collection of VHS and DVD movies, your entire library of home videos and play every video game you have ever owned - and do it ALL in real 3D!

Customers outside North America, please note NTSC signal is best for use with the VirtualFX.

We now offer the VirtualFX from both our US and UK locations. ***Please note, all orders that ship from the US ship with a 110V power supply. All orders that are from Europe automatically ship with a 220V power supply. We recommend an NTSC supported television and DVD player over PAL and no LCD, projection or plasma screens.

How It Works:
The Virtual FX receives an ordinary video signal through a wire from your DVD, video player, cable box or Game console. It then sends the converted 3D Video signal through a wire to your TV set. The Converter System performs complicated mathematical algorithms which convert standard 2D video into Real 3D that can be viewed by watching your TV with the included 3D glasses. It does this by creating separate and distinct left eye and right eye images on your TV screen and displaying those images in an alternating format. The wireless 3D glasses included with this system operate by receiving an infrared signal transmitted from the converter box. The lenses of the glasses open and close in sync with the televised images ensuring that your left eye sees only the left eye image and vice versa, thus producing true stereographic 3D!

VirtualFX is a plug and play unit so it's easy to hook up, just like a DVD player. However, it does have several buttons that are used to enhance the 3D experience. The Input button is set for the type of signal coming into the converter (Game system, 2D Video or 3D Video). The Output button allows you to switch between seeing a 2D or 3D video image. The Phase Adjust button switches between left-eye-first or right-eye-first video viewing. The Parallax (<>) buttons are used to increase or decrease depth perception and the Program Mode button allows you to choose from 4 video source presets (see below).

ACTION 1:
For DVD and VHS movies, big-screen productions, etc.
TALK SHOW:
For game shows, sitcoms, newscasts, soap operas, talk shows, etc.
ACTION 2:
For outdoor field sporting events such as football, baseball, etc.
MUSIC VIDEO:
For stage productions, music video, live concerts, etc.

Technical Specifications
Power Requirement: AC 120V, 60Hz
Power Consumption: DC 4.5 watts, 9V 800mA
Dimensions 7.375" W x 4.50" D x 1.626" H
For use only with CRT Televisions/Monitors (not plasma, LCD or projection screen), NTSC recommended (North American Standard)

Includes converter box, remote controls, all necessary cables and 1 pair of wireless viewing glasses.

So, does this actually work?
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: VirtualFX 3D TV Converter... does it work?

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

For robots, not sure. For humans, it probably does.

And if an alien is reading this, I'm pretty sure it wont work on you. Especially the Tralfamadorians who already see in 4 dimensions. (Whoever gets the reference gets a gold star and a cookie)
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:For robots, not sure. For humans, it probably does.

And if an alien is reading this, I'm pretty sure it wont work on you. Especially the Tralfamadorians who already see in 4 dimensions. (Whoever gets the reference gets a gold star and a cookie)

So, for humans... is that a yes?

And IDK know much about Dr. Who, but I'm gonna say that you made a Dr. Who reference. But then again, I'm a bit rusty in my "Hitchhiker's Guide".

But if I'm right, keep your gold star and your cookie. Gold stars are tacky, and I doubt your cookie could top my recipe for White Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies. I have YET to hear someone say something bad about them.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Nope, not Hitchhikers or Dr. Who. It's a book from around the 50's and 60's and had a movie adaptation in '72
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

So... should I buy the damn thing or not?

And "Slaughterhouse-Five". Gotta see the film and read the book.

No answer my damn question!!!!
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

It's not worth it.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

I say don't buy it.

Things in 2D should stay in 2D, I mean just look at Doodlebob.

My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Think about what it claims to be doing. Now consider it only costs $60. Something isn't adding up here. Decent upscaling converters start at $300 and go up from there, which should be a comperable or easier computation than doing the 3D effect.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tercoil
24-bit

Post by Tercoil »

Hey its funny this should come up literally a day after i see a youtube video on something like that, not sure if its the exact same one but it looks like it
anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TDgKf7 ... annel_page
thats the video, check it out this guy says it works although cant show you as a camera cant pick it up :P
Mozgus wrote:
aaron wrote:hit it and quit it. i am certain mozgus is correct.

The problem with that advice is that the "quit it" portion of the process becomes much more complicated after the "hit it" maneuver has been completed. Much easier to "quit it" before all else.
sneth
32-bit

Post by sneth »

it would probably not work the way you want. I bet there would be lag with games as well.

display glasses do work well, but you have to sit in your room with them. so it's kinda lame.
"To preserve biological diversity, is an investment in immortality."