PS2 Problem: WinHiip not Recognizing HDD

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
lisalover1
Next-Gen

PS2 Problem: WinHiip not Recognizing HDD

Post by lisalover1 »

I have an Official Sony PS2 40gb HDD. I just tried connecting it to my PC via a IDE-to-USB adapter. In WinHiip, the first time I connected the drive, it worked just fine. There was data still on the drive, so I formatted it in the program using the standard settings. However, every time I tried to connect it after that, either WinHiip wouldn't recognize the drive, or it said it couldn't be read. I tried re-formatting the drive with the PS2 HDD utility disk, but WinHiip still doesn't recognize it. What should I do?

Here is the error log:
SELECTED Drive 1 : (Unknown Size) [REDUCE FRAGMENTS]
SCAN DRIVE ERROR There is a problem with reading the hard drive.

WinHiip only shows the PS2 hard drive if it is being run as the administrator. Otherwise, it says "There are no PS2-formatted drives on your system." When run in admin mode, it says "(Unknown Size)" next to the HDD listing, and when I select the hard drive, it says "There is a problem reading the Hard Drive". It fails at reading sector $00000000. I am using WinHiip 1.7.6.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
BigTinz
128-bit

Re: PS2 Problem: WinHiip not Recognizing HDD

Post by BigTinz »

Try connecting it directly via IDE.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

The only computers I have are a laptop and a SATA desktop. Any other ideas?
opticledilusi0n
32-bit

Post by opticledilusi0n »

use the ps2 ftp and don't use winhiip
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

You want to use the hdld_svr on the ps2, and hdl_dump/dumb on your pc to transfer over the network. Here's a howto.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

lisalover1 wrote:The only computers I have are a laptop and a SATA desktop. Any other ideas?

Disconnect your optical drive on the desktop and hook up the HDD to the now-free IDE cable.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

MrPopo wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:The only computers I have are a laptop and a SATA desktop. Any other ideas?

Disconnect your optical drive on the desktop and hook up the HDD to the now-free IDE cable.

What if his optical drive is SATA?

I find it hard to believe your system has no IDE ports though. My Asus P5Q Deluxe that was purchased less than 6 months ago still has an IDE port on it. Granted it's only one, but it's still got one. Have you checked your motherboard's spec's?

If all else fails try a PATA-SATA converter.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Niode wrote:
MrPopo wrote:

What if his optical drive is SATA?

I find it hard to believe your system has no IDE ports though. My Asus P5Q Deluxe that was purchased less than 6 months ago still has an IDE port on it. Granted it's only one, but it's still got one. Have you checked your motherboard's spec's?

If all else fails try a PATA-SATA converter.

I figured his system was like my system and your system, where they keep one IDE port that people run their optical drives on.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Okay, I have two problems.
1. When I tried HDL_Dumb/Dump, it wouldn't recognize the PS2 hard drive, either.
2. I don't want to go through the trouble of leaving my Desktop open just so I can transfer games to it. Plus, it's not really my Desktop; It's my Mom's, and she freaks out whenever I mention opening a computer.

Also, I tried using the HDLoader feature that lets you copy disks to the Hard Drive on the PS2, but when I tried to copy my backup disks, it said it was invalid. Is there any way besides a modchip to make it copy backup disks?

As a last question, what program do I need on my PS2 to accept the HDL_Dumb FTP transfer?
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Have you got any jumpers set on the hard drive? (it looks like 8 pins between the IDE connector and the Molex power connector). AFAIK you have to have no jumpers set for it to be recognised by HDloader.

O/T I haven't used a PATA optical drive for several years, not when you can get SATA ones for less than £14.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys