Nintendo 3DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: Nintendo 3DS

Post by marurun »

My problem is I've had SD cards break on me in the 3DS. So if you're not installing custom firmware be careful to back up your data.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

opa wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:51 am I've read that some 3DS carts are starting to fail. Specifically I've seen people mention Smash Bros., Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire remakes, and Persona Q.

I haven't had any break on me (although now that I think about it I haven't checked lately). Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to dump your carts and back them up to be safe.
I seem to recall those games being mentioned a year or so ago. Is it the same issue as before? (Basically something along the lines of if they aren't used in a long time, they stop working).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Same issue with those carts. There’s a video on YouTube who corrected the problem with soldering. Something about the main chip in the cart being made of poor quality and basically disconnecting from the board.

This was the video I saw.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

We got rid of our copy of Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy at work recently. Thankfully it found a good home in somebody's collection :D
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Dang it!

No worries!

I don’t have the spare cash at the moment to drop $100 on a game like that. It’s in my list so hopefully when I get the bug to finish up the collection, hopefully it won’t be $200.
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

I work in a public library, so we were literally just getting rid of games that people haven't been checking out. Sometimes we just throw stuff away (or recycle it, in the case of books), but in this instance, most of them ended up going to the little book store we have on site. Everything sold for $1 apiece, and that wasn't even the craziest game we got rid of that day. We also unloaded copies of Devil's Third, Painkiller, Lost Dimension, and Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

Hey, you can still find amazing deals sometimes if you know where to look.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Good point. I don’t think the public library system I have has games available, but then again, I haven’t stepped into a library in several years. No offense.
opa
Next-Gen

Post by opa »

Hey, Gucci. Do you have a Wii U? Monster Hunter 3U has this save data transfer app (which I'm assuming can be downloaded via homebrew by now) which transfers your save data between systems. Although, at this point you'd probably have to mod a Wii U if you didn't download that either. lol

Either way; a cool feature. I used it a little bit. Pretty neat to have the same save on a portable and home console.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I don’t have a Wii U handy at the moment unfortunately. And yeah, I would probably have to install some sort of custom firmware on the thing in order for me to take advantage or something like that.

I do like that concept though. The PS Vita copy of Borderlands 2 you were able to do that with the PS3 version. Though I can’t remember if that was only a one-way ticket: from the Vita to the PS3 since the Vita version was missing DLC.

Going back to the Wii U: I read not too long ago that if the Wii U stays idle for extended period of time, the whole thing stops working due to some degradation of certain components on the motherboard. I think it was a memory issue. I have to pull up that information.

Edit: Yep! This is what I read. I have two and may be both dead.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Sad news: my copy of Omega Ruby is failing. This copy is a used copy I got several years ago from a Gamestop. We're talking 208/2019. I had it on the back burner for awhile and was interested in playing it.

When I put it into a 3DS XL, it didn't show up the first time, then I re-inserted it, it showed up and disappeared after a couple of seconds. Did that two more times until it finally read the game properly. I started it up and crashed at the title screen.

Now I have a used copy of Alpha Sapphire that I got on the same day. I also have these games complete that I purchased on the day of release that I save as part of my little Pokemon collection. I have a feeling I have four dead game carts.

Time to go sailing.