Genre of the Month (MAY 2024 TR) - Really Rad Racers

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ziggy

Genre of the Month (MAY 2024 TR) - Really Rad Racers

Post by Ziggy »

Together Retro - January 2024 - Really Rad Racers

This month for Together Retro we will be focusing on racers!

I'm just gonna be up front and say that I don't have the time right now to make a more creative first post for this thread, but it's already the 5th of the month and I didn't want to delay getting it out any further.

What kind of racers or vehicular games are you all into?

I tend to like the arcade style racers more, as oppose to the simulation type ones. That said, I also like kart racers. I'll have to post more thoughts later.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: Genre of the Month (MAY 2024 TR) - Really Rad Racers

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun

Post by marurun »

I know, man. Words are fuckin’ hard!

😜
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:44 pm I know, man. Words are fuckin’ hard!

😜
I don't know how you even managed to type that sentence. You are a better man than me sir :wink:
Ack

Post by Ack »

I was never big on racing games. Sure, kart racers like Mario Kart were often favorites at gatherings of friends, but that was the extent. Maybe every now and again plugging a few quarters into a Cruisin' USA cab or something. But the real deal?

Now that's the stuff. Give me an arena, give me an engine, and let me smash. Twisted Metal was over the top ridiculous, and it was all the cartoonishly goofy violence I needed.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I've always preferred my racers to be rad to be honest.

I've been playing a lot of Enduro on the 2600 recently. It's a great game and one that I've somehow missed out on before now.

I love the arcade versions of Pole Position and Pole Position II. Beautiful, crisp, clean graphics and solid gameplay. In all the times I've played them I think I've only completed the basic original track of the first game, but that doesn't keep me from coming back for more. The Vectrex port is excellent as well and one of my favorites on the system.

Of course, Rad Racer for the NES is a winner. Everything's great about that game: graphics, gameplay, sound. It's one of those games that takes the system right to the edge of what it can do, while not trying to do things that it can't. Well, except for the attempt at 3D I guess, but much like the 3DS, most people abandoned the 3D aspect pretty quick.

The original F-Zero on the Super Nintendo is great even though the graphics leave something to be desired. I thought it was ugly even at the time, but it's a great game regardless.

Other than that, I've always kind of enjoyed the dumb fun of the Crusin' arcade games, and as much as I hate the PS1, I have to admit that R4 was pretty great.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...racing is definitely one of my favorite genres. Honestly, I probably should spend more time playing racing games. There have just been so many great racing games from classic games like Outrun to newer titles like Fast RMX. I espcially miss the premium arcade racing experience from games like F355 Challenge, F-Zero AX, and Hydro Thunder...but the home conversions and even the follow ups/sequels were pretty good imo. Some of my favorite games/series, aside from the ones I already mentioned are:

- Project Gotham
- Cruis'n
- Super GT
- Virtua Racing
- Redshift
- Mario Kart
- Forza/Forza Horizon
- Hang-On
- S.T.U.N Runner
- Hotshot Racing
- SSX
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:25 pm
marurun wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:44 pm I know, man. Words are fuckin’ hard!

😜
I don't know how you even managed to type that sentence. You are a better man than me sir :wink:
Would your opinion change if I told you that was a response to your post if all cover images and no text? ;p
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I would like to point out that the Dreamcast is an underrated racing monster. Sure, the two closest games it had to Gran Tourismo were Metropolis Street Racer and Sega GT, two great games marred by irritating flaws, but there were so many awesome arcade-style and even serious racing games that just rocked hard.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Sega GT was my first racing game outside of cart racing. It was the first one I played using realistic licensed cars. I moved on to GameCube with Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 after that. And ended that generation with Most Wanted, skipping the Undergroud series completely.

Nowadays, I’ve been hoping on racing sims like Forza 6 & 7 and lighter sims like Forza Horizon 3 & 4. I’m pointing those out because they are the only racing games I have quick access to.

I still think the two Sonic cart racers are fantastic alternatives to Mario Kart. To me, they’re the only ones that came pretty close to that series.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!