Japanese Dreamcast Titles with English Option

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
wryguy87
8-bit

Re: Japanese Dreamcast Titles with English Option

Post by wryguy87 »

It's a minor thing, but to people interested in getting DDR 2ND Mix with a dance pad, it's smarter to get a PS1/DC controller converter than buying any of the official dance mats. They're not as high quality.

DDR also doesn't support VGA video output, which is rare and worth noting to people who play their Dreamcasts on a monitor or HDTV.

Item descriptions being in Japanese would actually be a significant obstacle in Resident Evil, as it's has puzzles revolving around those items. Since the game is already available entirely in English I don't know if that's a good call for an import.

This one's semi-relevant. Shenmue II on Dreamcast is fully voiced in Japanese, but has full English subtitles and menus in the European release.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

wryguy87 wrote:Item descriptions being in Japanese would actually be a significant obstacle in Resident Evil, as it's has puzzles revolving around those items. Since the game is already available entirely in English I don't know if that's a good call for an import.

Eh, I don't know about that. I played through the Japanese version in 2014 and don't remember having any problems... The puzzles are pretty simple. That said, I have played Code Veronica a few times, so maybe that's why.

As a side note, I played the Japanese version, because a) It's compatible with VGA unlike the Pal version and b) I wanted the X version
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
wryguy87
8-bit

Post by wryguy87 »

VGA is available on the US version of the game, though of course you don't get the X content. If I remember right all you get is a few minutes of cut scenes and there is no other difference.

I confirmed for Puzzle Fighter. You need to know the cheat code to access the special options in that game. Changing to English only changes in-game text like the character quotes, but it doesn't make any of the options menus convert to English.

Puzzle Fighter is still a game that would be playable either way. You just wouldn't be able to customize the settings without a guide. The issue is that while the Dreamcast version has some bonus features, all those bonus features are also available on the downloadable version of the game for 360/PS3.

If you wanted a physical copy of the game, I'd probably recommend the original Saturn version. PS1 if you have no other option.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

wryguy87 wrote: The issue is that while the Dreamcast version has some bonus features, all those bonus features are also available on the downloadable version of the game for 360/PS3.

If you wanted a physical copy of the game, I'd probably recommend the original Saturn version. PS1 if you have no other option.

Correct! That's because Puzzle Fighter HD is based entirely on the dreamcast version albiet with heavy modification of the code by David Sirlin to re-balance and slightly modernize the game visually.

Fortunately there is a physical release on the 360 version also :)
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

Post by grittykitty »

i can confirm that the japanese version of phantasy star online v2 is playable in english. i just bought the game a couple days ago to play on my japanese dreamcast, so i know this for a fact!

interesting note: the PSO v2 hardware flash for the serial number saves your current system language setting even if your system battery is dead!

long version: my predecessor left his japanese dreamcast behind, so it was there when i moved in and sadly the system battery was/is dead. so everytime i boot it up, it asks me to set the date and time (in japanese, of course). i knew beforehand about PSO flashing its serial number to the dreamcast firmware, so out of curiosity i changed the system language to english before doing so. the game booted up in english, and after entering the serial number for PSO v2, my japanese dreamcast boots to the set system date/time menu in english every time! by the way, it has nothing to do with the game's save file, as i didn't have space on the VMU to create one. interesting, no?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Another useful old post that gets some good search traffic.
Anything missing that we should add?