Japanese Sega Saturn games that are in English

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Japanese Sega Saturn games that are in English

Post by Jagosaurus »

XYZ wrote:Thanks guys for all the replies and recommendations!!

I was hoping there'd be other titles like Willy Wombat that were Japan only that we didn't get to see but in English. It seems a lot of what's been mentioned so far are the Japanese versions of NTSC games, just cheaper. Which is cool to know as well, and I am enjoying the replies so far!!

I have JPN exclusive snowboarding game that I was able to navigate fine... IIRC called Zap Snowboarding.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ben
24-bit

Post by Ben »

One more thing, every SNK game except for Samurai Spirits RPG is playable no problem, so I didn't see a reason to list them. Same with all of the Capcom fighters also, and you can find hundreds of lists of those with a Google search.

On a side note, I'm having trouble finding one of my Saturn games that I wanted to recommend and forgot the name of. It's a 2D fighter set in a high school (somewhat similar to Rival Schools, but 2d and sprite based of course). Maybe someone else can remember the name or I'll probably find it sooner or later.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I wanted to mention Deep Fear, since it has a European release in English that you can play on a modded Saturn of course.
XYZ

Post by XYZ »

Wow wow! Ben, thanks, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you making this list for me! :)

Purikura Daisakusen
Pulirula
Tryrush Deppy

All 3 look wonderful from the videos I watched. I almost got the feelign that Tryrush is like a bit of Sonic and Popful Mail style.

Do you know if anything exists in the style of Popful Mail or Adventures of Ralph (PS1)?

I will go thru your full list when I have more free time this weekend.
Ben
24-bit

Post by Ben »

XYZ wrote:Wow wow! Ben, thanks, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you making this list for me! :)

Purikura Daisakusen
Pulirula
Tryrush Deppy

All 3 look wonderful from the videos I watched. I almost got the feelign that Tryrush is like a bit of Sonic and Popful Mail style.

Do you know if anything exists in the style of Popful Mail or Adventures of Ralph (PS1)?

I will go thru your full list when I have more free time this weekend.

As far as Popful Mail goes, Princess Crown is very similar, that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. There are actually some SNES imports that are very similar to Popful Mail if you'd be interested in those.

EDIT: By the way, I have not played Adventures of Ralph, but I watched a Youtube video and it looked similar to Popful Mail. I have to admit I'm pretty much a Sega diehard, I did have a PSX but mainly just for the 3d Capcom games and Squaresoft RPGs, I know almost zilch about PSX imports.

2nd EDIT: Oh, I left one game off of that list (I think) that is somewhat similar to Popful Mail, that would be Silhouette Mirage by Treasure. A lot of people say the PSX port of that one is better, I wouldn't know as I've only owned the Saturn version. I didn't put it on there since I was going for exclusives. It's a pure side scroller, also. I just went ahead and updated the list.

3rd and probably final EDIT: Dug through my collection and checked out games I was fuzzy on (and didn't like quite as much), and added them. Found that fighter I was talking about, it's called Pretty Fighter X.

Also, one more thing, there are a ton of great puzzle games exclusive to the Saturn in Japan you can play without knowing Japanese. The thing is, I hate puzzle games, and don't own any, so if you're a fan of those it would be worth looking into.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I would recommend getting the Japanese version of Saturn Bomberman. It is still in Japanese, but you do not need any knowledge to figure out what does what. Also the game is incredibly cheaper in comparison to it's english counterpart.

i keep hearing this, but:
a) you lose a few maps i think?
b) which version? i keep seeing bomberman fight or something, i think that's the wrong one though

seriously thinking about this, as you said the US one is stupid expensive now, and 10-player bomberman is on my gaming bucket list.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

IrishNinja wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:I would recommend getting the Japanese version of Saturn Bomberman. It is still in Japanese, but you do not need any knowledge to figure out what does what. Also the game is incredibly cheaper in comparison to it's english counterpart.

i keep hearing this, but:
a) you lose a few maps i think?
b) which version? i keep seeing bomberman fight or something, i think that's the wrong one though

seriously thinking about this, as you said the US one is stupid expensive now, and 10-player bomberman is on my gaming bucket list.

i don't think you lose any maps. you don't want bomberman fight, you want this one: http://www.satakore.com/sega-saturn-gam ... n-JPN.html
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Bump for popular post that gets good search traffic.
Anything else to add to this?