The "Look What I Did / Made" Thread

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Ziggy

Re: The "Look What I Did / Made" Thread

Post by Ziggy »

Nice work! :)

I also don't like the supplied AV solution that the NESRGB kit has. At the time I purchased the kit (which is a few years ago now) I was using the Framemeister almost exclusively, so having that style mini-DIN made sense. But I don't like how it's a PCB mount jack, and you're suppose to just glue it in place. So I had purchased a proper panel mount mini-DIN for it...

I still wasn't a huge fan of that AV cable you linked to. But I get it. IIRC, it breaks out the audio because that'll take out any crosstalk/interference. My plan was to just wire the mini-DIN the same as the Framemeister, then just use a straight through cable for audio and video. But I ended up going back to CRTs and stopped using the Framemeister. So I ended up picking up a 3D printed Nintendo AV multi-out port, so I could have all the AV signals and use standard cables. That Voultar FFC is cool, I haven't seen that before (unless, like you, I also forgot about it). I don't have that, but I do have Voultar's (or someone else's) PCB that mounts the needed resistors on the front loader's expansion port to get the expansion audio.

Yes, desoldering that PPU is a huge pain in the ass with out the right tools! Mostly because they are plated through holes, making desoldering very hard especially on ground plane pins. When I purchased my NESRGB kit, I didn't have that great of equipment. Now I have a Hakko FR301 and a hot air station (I find it easier to suck out what you can with the vacuum, then hot air the chip out instead of reworking stuck pins). But I just never got around to installing it.

But dammit, Anapan, you're giving me the bug. Not only this post, but the RGB modded AV Famicom I got from you. I've actually never seen RGB from a NES in person on a CRT before (it's not the same seeing screenshots). When I tested out the AV Famicom, I was wowed by how good it looked. But I'm undecided what I want to do. I have an RF Famicom that I may want to take the PPU out of and put in the AV Famicom that I got from you. And I think I want to get another NESRGB, the new V4. And between my top loader NES and AV Famicom, put the old and new NESRGB kits in those consoles (undecided which gets which). Then with the PlayChoice PPU and the RF Famicom, I've long wanted to make a sort of steampunk Famicom and it would be nice to have more than the old composite video mod for it.

Anyways, nice work! Is that the extra board for component video I see on there?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm sure I would've destroyed something if I didn't have a vacuum desoldering gun.

I have another NESRGB board as well. I got it a while back to make an every-mod Toaster NES including ENIO EXP board and a Famicom controller port.

Yeah, that's the Component video daughterboard. I figured "Why not?"

Glad you're enjoying the AV Famicom.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've never owned a top loader NES or AV Famicom before. I've only seen the top loader NES once in real life, and it was many years ago in a FuncoLand. It's actually smaller than I remember it being. I'm glad to add it to my hardware collection.

I was never a fan of the PlayChoice PPU color palette on the NES. When this was the only way to RGB mod a NES, my thoughts were always, "Sure, you get RGB, but the colors are wrong." But more recently I've found it to be kind of interesting. Some games look neat. For example, I think Super Mario Bros 3 looks really cool with this color palette.

By the way, I don't know if you ever took a look inside, but it was the first thing I did with it LOL. The mod work was very neatly done.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I didn't have a problem with the palette myself. It never caused any problems for me at least, and when switching between consoles, I only noticed that it was more vibrant, that and the picture quality was incredible compared the the S-Video modded toploader I was using before that.
I actually never looked inside it, but I knew it was in good hands when I sent it to ApolloBoy - his reputation is golden. I couldn't believe how low his fee was, or that he refused to accept more for his work.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage