"Essential Plays" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: "Essential Plays" for the Sega Genesis / Megadrive

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Happy to see Phantasy Star IV already referenced. It's amazing & criminal to not mention it up there with the RPG likes of FFVI.

So is it safe to say that Phantasy Star doesn't have a continuing storyline? Do they all stand independent?
I've only played through some of the original (I should revisit)
I'm terrible at finishing RPGs.
Perhaps that should be goal for improvement for me.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

alienjesus wrote:See, I disagree on the Golden Axe front - I think the first game holds up better than the second. It has more interesting level design, better pacing and the gameplay is basically the same but somehow your hits feel like they have more impact in the original. The second game is OK, but I see no reason to play it over the first. I'd rather play Golden Axe 3 in fact - that game is pretty bad but at least it feels notably different.

I've played a bit of the original these last couple days. It is kinda interesting, but I'm going to keep plugging away here and there to see how I feel about it on this list.
With a genre like beatemups, their age can make a big difference on how they "hold up".

I don't have Golden Axe II readily available, so will have to emulate that one at some point. (I do think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Mega Everdrive Pro, once they come back in stock though....)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Ms. Pac Man (Its still the best port!) :P

I thought about adding Frogger, since the best port is also on the Genesis, but I was iffy.

Also, I never loved the scrolling on the Pac-Man ports. I can't shake the single screen feeling. So let me introduce you to Bob DeCrescenzo's 7800 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA_7laOgn2M&t=266s

The graphics aren't on par with the Genesis version, but it's the best single screen you'll get.

Yeah, I'm kinda playing around with the idea of having a section for "Solid Ports of Arcade Classics" included near the bottom of the guide.
The Ms. Pac Man is good on the Genesis.
I'm also a nostalgic sucker for Road Blasters and the Genesis might just have the best home port. (IIRC the controls kinda suck on the Midway Arcade Treasures version). Anyone played it on the Arcade's Greatest Hits on the PS1?
(plus I haven't tried in a while, but I also feel like Road Blasters might be one of those games that are hard to get the controls great in emulation)