Pocky and Rocky are returning.

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Anapan
Next-Gen

Pocky and Rocky are returning.

Post by Anapan »

It's been a long time. The last time I heard anything about them was when Heavenly Guardian came out on PS2 instead of a new P&R game.
https://youtu.be/Dbe9GMR9z3g
Looks great!
I keep hoping they'll bring back Miyo-Chan from Space Invaders 95, but the weasel is awesome.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Re: Pocky and Rocky are returning.

Post by Ziggy »

Whoa, awesome! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be picking this up.

I feel like the SNES games are still hidden gems. You really don't ever hear them mentioned, but they're such fun games to play.
JungleHeart
8-bit

Post by JungleHeart »

I saw the trailer last night on YT. It's amazing that the new characters blend in nicely with the game, I mean, they look like they were always part of the game.

I have a Super Famicom but was unable to get this game on there since it's always pricey. Anyone know if this is hellishly difficult or is the challenge just right?

The game somehow reminds me of Dino Riki on the NES/Famicom. It's a shoot em up but you walk on ground haha.
"Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning."
—Suikoden I
--
Currently works as a freelance writer
https://blog.playerauctions.com
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

JungleHeart wrote:I saw the trailer last night on YT. It's amazing that the new characters blend in nicely with the game, I mean, they look like they were always part of the game.

I have a Super Famicom but was unable to get this game on there since it's always pricey. Anyone know if this is hellishly difficult or is the challenge just right?

The game somehow reminds me of Dino Riki on the NES/Famicom. It's a shoot em up but you walk on ground haha.

There are a handful of games like Dino Riki, but Pocky and Rocky is a bit different, in that it doesn't scroll. I wouldn't call P&R "hellish," but it does allow you to switch to easy, normal, and hard difficulties.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

@JungleHeart
My brother and I rented Pocky and Rocky for a week, and played it a lot back when I was 13 or 14. We were veteran NES game players - used to NES-hard games, but not really good by any measure. We couldn't beat it, but we got to the end boss a couple of times.
I wouldn't say it is anything like a bullet-hell shooter. It's hard, but not unfair.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage