What are some good movies to watch on New Year's?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

What are some good movies to watch on New Year's?

Post by Ziggy »

What are some good movies to watch on New Year's Eve or Day? Something that takes place on or around New Years, or New Years is some how part of the plot.

Trading Places - One of my favorite movies, it starts around Thanksgiving and goes through Christmas and New Year's. And it isn't subtle about the holidays. You have Dan Akroyd drunk in a Santa suite at an office Christmas party (which rivals Billy Bob Thorton in Bad Santa) and a New Years Eve costume party on a train at the end of the movie. This is the best one in my opinion because even though the New Year segment is only at the end of the movie, it starts around Thanksgiving so the entire movie has a sort of "the holidays" feeling to it.

Ghostbusters II - The end of the movie takes place on New Year's Eve. You have Bill Murray shouting "Happy New Year!" and you have the crowd outside with typical New Year gear (stupid party hats and noise makers). Not as good as Trading Places because it's really only the end that has something to do with New Years. There's the psychic in the begging that predicts what will happen, which is just a brief mention of New Years. Then there's a shot of the Ghostbusters wearing Santa hats in a single shot during a montage, probably just to remind us that we're closing in on New Years. But other than those brief things, there's nothing about the tone of the movie that feels like we're in December, like Trading Places does.

Anyone have any suggestions? There must be more movies that have New Year's somewhere in it. Are there any movies that have New Year's as part of the plot or just a more prominent part of the movie?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: What are some good movies to watch on New Year's?

Post by noiseredux »

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Oh, I completely forgot about Four Rooms. It takes place on New Year's Eve. Tim Roth plays a bellhop in a hotel. It's an anthology film with four short stories, each of them being a particular room in the hotel. Tim Roth is a constant through all four stories.

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've been going through holiday horror movies for 2020. I started the year with Bloody New Year, which is weird and I don't recommend unless your curious about strange low-budget British horror movies.
I'm counting New Year's Eve as a different holiday and I'll be watching New Year's Evil tomorrow. From what I can tell its a pretty standard slasher

There's another New Year's horror movie called Terror Train that might be better than either of those, but since the title doesn't refer to the holiday, I'm not watching it this year.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

My wife asked what we should do for New Years eve. I suggested a disaster movie marathon because it seems like an appropriate send off for 2020.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

This is a great movie!
Might be spoiler (if you haven't seen it)?
:| He's jacked her in to his own output!

+1 great movie
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage