Sega 60th!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Big Sega Announcement on June 3rd

Post by Sarge »

That's... huh. Yeah, a bit too small for me. I'd play it about as much as my Game Boy Micro... so almost never, and not for more than like five minutes.

EDIT: Wait, seriously, there are only four games on each of these? So to get them all, you'd need to shell out a cool $200? And the screen is even smaller than the GB Micro (1.15" vs 2"), so they're selling a magnifier as well? I'm honestly not sure what Sega's thinking here, other than to cash in on collectors.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah... it's a no from me.

Why couldn't they have just released a reasonable sized Game Gear with like 30ish games included?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I don't think these can be anything more than a collector's piece. I think that's why it's the 4 colors with only 4 games on each and only in Japan as well. This thing is just SO small, and it even has a USB port to plug it into the mains if you'd rather not drain the batteries in the thing. I cannot picture a world where Sega is selling this as a device they sincerely believe people will use (especially not when I'm pretty sure most if not all of these games have been on the 3DS Virtual Console for years in Japan).

Didn't Sega only release that Tower of Power attachment for the Mega Drive Mini in Japan as well? And that was JUST a hunk of plastic (no actual new games or anything) for 4000 yen. I guess maybe those sold well enough that they figure that the Japanese/international collectors market will shell out similarly for Game Gear stuff? I mean at the very least you CAN play games on these, not that you'd want to :lol:

This is a pretty heckin' underwhelming announcement, of course, but I won't lie. If I saw one of these in a second-hand shop for 2000 yen, I'd be pretty tempted to pick one up just for a laugh :lol:

Edit: Thinking a little more on it, this is actually a sorta clever move by Sega, at least from a business standpoint. I seriously doubt they could make any reasonable amount of money on selling a genuine Game Gear Mini with 30-ish games or whatever. The nostalgia for the thing just isn't strong enough. This is a pretty clever idea to cash in on the /idea/ of a Game Gear Mini but not actually committing the big bucks to a larger, more impressive unit that'd have an international release.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Part of me is hoping that isn't the "big" announcement... hopefully, it could even just be part of a much bigger announcement.

Or maybe I should just stop getting hyped up by anything Sega related :lol:
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I got curious on exactly how many games that are gonna be on these micros are already on the 3DS VC, and in the Micros' defense (for what defense is worth giving, I suppose).

Black Micro: Sonic the Hedgehog, PuyoPuyoTsu, Outrun, and Royal Stone
- The VC has Sonic the Hedgehog and PuyoPuyoTsu

Blue Micro: Sonic & Tails, Gunstar Heroes, Sylvan Tale, and Baku Baku Animals
- The VC has NONE of these (although it does, oddly enough, have Sonic & Tails 2)

Yellow Micro: Shining Force Gaiden, Shining Force Gaiden 2, Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict, and Nazo Puyo: Aruru no Ruu
- The VC has ALL of these (and watching footage of Nazo Puyo makes it look pretty fun, and I might pick that up later, actually :lol: )

Red Micro: Shin Megami Tensei: Last Bible, Shin Megami Tensei: Last Bible Special, The GG Shinobi, and Columns
- The VC has GG Shinobi and Columns

Given that they're like 300-450 yen a piece on the eShop, even if these units were actually usable, it'd be a pretty hard sell over just buying a used 3DS and buying them on the eShop, needless to say.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Anyways, seems like the announcement that was hyped is actually that Sega is launching 'Sega Fog Gaming', which is some kind of cloud gaming service for arcade games to be played from home?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/03/sega-fog ... -12797619/

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

The Fog Gaming may be underwhelming here but in Japan that is a bold and strong move.
The arcade scene is still really strong there and allowing players to play at arcade exclusives at home this is huge... well if what I read was true. These will be exclusive and still a link for leaderboards etc. The exclusive games and if it is able to keep the arcade scores and stuff authentic I am impressed, even though we will probably not get it here in the west. The biggest downside to this for me is that with the Fog Gaming these awesome arcade games will not be ported to any systems that I play and therefore I will not get to play them.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: Atari 2600 & 5200, NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis,
Sega CD, Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU, XBONE & Switch.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Is June 3rd Japan's version of April 1st? Cos, tiny unplayable Game Gears and "fog" gaming have the ring of april fools to them.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think within Japan streaming the arcade experience to the home could be a pretty potent product.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Could it though? Many of those arcade games will have ports already and from what I saw in Japan the appeal of the few arcade only experiences that remain seem to lie in games with set ups not practically replicated at home. It seems a bit redundant to me. I can see it as Sega expecting arcades to be closed longer or operate at limited capacity due to coronavirus so maybe this is a band-aid for that?