my first custom: famicom colored AV famicom HVC101

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
arcadifvid
32-bit

my first custom: famicom colored AV famicom HVC101

Post by arcadifvid »

didnt exactly planned it to come up that way. as two types of red came up despite me wanting (and using) only the dark red the famicom has. The flaps, accessory port cover and reset button became bright red. while the power button and lower half is ok though.
Ziggy

Re: my first custom: famicom colored AV famicom HVC101

Post by Ziggy »

I think the accented pieces are kinda neat! And those are the best pieces to be accented, too, logically I mean. So it works out. The brighter red is a little too "candy" looking for my tastes (maybe that's just the camera flash or the way the pic turned out) but I like the accent nonetheless.

What kind of paint did you use?
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

my thoughts exactly. it came out like candy! :lol: sometimes i wish we could just test spray cans before purchasing. but anyway making do with what i have 8)

the white areas, i used x-o paint and primer. the red is a tamiya color. being the only type of spray paint i found that was closest to the famicom red. so i was baffled when the final outcome became completely a different red in some areas.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

alright need advice anyone. i was really dissatisfied with the red that came out in my original try, so im repainting most of it. i've already applied primer so now applying the red is my next step. since my search for the "famicom red" seems to be in vain, ill just have to ask your opinions, whats the best red here:

http://www.krylon.com/products/colormas ... nt-primer/

i was thinking between the banner red and cherry red; would seem like a fit for the famicom console.
ps2emotions

Post by ps2emotions »

Looks good. Just let me say that the rustoleum paint beats krylon big time. I've custom painted several consoles (had a book printed with my favs) and I started out using krylon until I tried and realized how much better the $3.96 rustoleum stuff is you get at walmart and they offer so many color choices too. Krylon is much more finicky about runs, humidity, & just don't look as good in general. The spray nozzle on the rustoleum is much better as well.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Rustoleum is great, don't get me wrong, but I tend to like Krylon for more applications. Krylon dries so much faster than other spray paints, which can be crucial for the weekend warrior.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

I really like it.
It just looks kind of empty. So did the original.
3 things.
I would have left the grey part just gray
It needs some kind of lettering(, even though the orignal doesn't have it) Nintendo and/or famicom. Use small lettering.
Controller ports either white or red. I think white will be the best. Or make it gray perhaps.
It's projects like this that make me want to do stuff like this as well. Thanks!
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389