Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Post by racketboy »

Hey everyone!

I can't promise when I'll get in the groove and how rapidly, but I am planning on doing some new content and update some of the old posts.

On a related note, is there anyone who wants to contribute content as well? Guides on games for a certain console or that cover a certain genre do the best, so if there's topics you are especially knowledgable in, I could use your help. Preferably, I'd like to cover topics that are missing here

http://www.racketboy.com/guide/genre-guides
http://www.racketboy.com/guide/retro-gaming-101
http://www.racketboy.com/guide/games-th ... g-machines
http://www.racketboy.com/guide/hidden-gems

Also, if any of the ones need more fleshing out, I'm cool with that too.

If you're interested, you can shoot me an email at racketboy AT gmail DOT com
Discussion here is cool too, but if you're serious about helping, email is great :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Post by CRTGAMER »

You are welcome to copy paste any portion of my Guides in the Guides section, just please link back to the Threads.

Wii/Gamecube Guide has a few unique hidden gems indexed in the OP as well as mods and undocumented controller gameplay options.

PS2 Special Edition Guide a good reference when looking for games with extra content, some that many do not know about.

Gamecube SD Gecko PS2 Hard Drive Guide as well as Xbox Hard Drive and Xbox Revision Guide have great info that would be beneficial if published articles.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

Wanna do some pinball articles?
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Thanks, CRTGAMER -- I'll see what I can do with those :)

aaron, I guess it depends on the topic -- If it's something introductory, that could be an interesting start, but I wouldn't do much advanced stuff until we have introductory.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

This is exciting, I don't personally think I'd have anything to offer and want to do, but I found this place because of the articles. Would love to see more front page activity again.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

As per some private discussion, I'm going to attempt to do a genre guide for NES RPGs. It will concentrate mostly on Western-released games, but I might branch out into the world of fan translations as well. Actually, that'd make a great sub-article.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

With flashcarts/Optical Drive Emulators (ODEs) & emulation boxes being extremely popular. We need content on these and similar subjects. The audience is there. A lot of folks for example would view a best of NES RPGs or PS2 hidden gems to then want to explore loading these games up via ROM flashcarts or PS2 HDD Open PS2 Loader respectively (or to then emulate where applicable). I personally I think we're missing out on capitalizing on a huge piece of the hobby that is only expanding. While not my camp yet (use PC emu personally), if we had a simple Raspberry Pi tutorial, that'd drive traffic and help people out as well.

This RB thread is a great ongoing list of flashcarts & ODEs:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=36353&hilit=ODE

CRT's oXbox HDD & Wii/GCN links above allow for playing digital games. Essentially acting as ODEs for those systems. I contributed to the oXbox HDD thread and had a great time completing that mod.

In this thread I went on the journey (seriously :lol: lots of trial & error with help from a handful of members) of modding my PS2 to play digital PS2 games off the HDD (via Open PS2 Loader) and digital PS1 games off USB (via POPStarter), all on real hardware:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50574

OPL is fairly mainstream but POPS is still very underground IMO. All you need is a FMCB mem card, the .elf boot for POPS, the CUE2POPS PC app, & a USB stick to play digital PS1 titles on your PS2 (phat or slim). The PS2 USB 1.0 doesn't cause shuttering due to the slower PS1 drive speed. This can "save" PS2s with a broken disc drive as well. It is freaking awesome and deserves coverage IMO. I'd be willing to write up a user guide. Thoughts?

This is a sub section of the hobby I believe will only grow. At the moment I'm following several new SD cart/ODE projects. I'm also thinking of a pi setup in my living room as the TV on the mantle doesn't allow for a full PC emu set up like in the gameroom. I know I'm not alone in these interest.

Edit: Long post via mobile, way too early, likely with sleep deprived errors.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Xeogred wrote:This is exciting, I don't personally think I'd have anything to offer and want to do, but I found this place because of the articles. Would love to see more front page activity again.

Same here, I'd love to see more articles, maybe some updated cheap games lists would be cool. I'm trying to get into Saturn collecting and the list here was a big help in guiding my first purchases, but some of it is out of date now.

I don't know if anyone out there has any experience with Japanese computer games, but that would be a welcome addition. It's tough to find anything useful in English.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I emailed the head honcho and said that I didn't think I knew enough to write an article on anything on my own but that I'd be more than happy to help contribute in whatever capacity I'm able.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

I know people love price guides, but I can't help but think those end up quickly becoming misleading, and they're notoriously difficult to research (if you're doing it right). I think it's more useful to simply point out the good titles that are relatively common and thus more likely to be resistant to high prices.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.