What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by marurun »

Pulsar_t wrote:Wow, they weren't kidding with the hardcore bit. A bit of a shame that they didn't release a 3D bluray.. Watching it in fake SBS just isn't as good as a proper 3D master.

It was released in 3D to theaters, right? It does seem odd not to release a home 3D version, except that 3D TV and Blu-Ray sales have been on the decline. 3D is no longer the technology of the future. It is now a cheap gimmick of the past.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:
Pulsar_t wrote:Wow, they weren't kidding with the hardcore bit. A bit of a shame that they didn't release a 3D bluray.. Watching it in fake SBS just isn't as good as a proper 3D master.

It was released in 3D to theaters, right? It does seem odd not to release a home 3D version, except that 3D TV and Blu-Ray sales have been on the decline. 3D is no longer the technology of the future. It is now a cheap gimmick of the past.

Wasn't it always?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, but it did sell for a while, until people remembered that and gave up.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I remember the day after CES 2010, I was already sure that 3D TV was just another gimmick.

The current gimmick is curved TV sets. Let's see how long that lasts. :roll:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

marurun wrote:Yeah, but it did sell for a while, until people remembered that and gave up.

It goes in cycles. Eventually we'll get the brain implants and this can all go away.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think we'll have VR and/or AR movies first. And those will fail for other reasons altogether.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I like to watch 3D movies on the Rift, never felt the urge to get a proper 3DTV, or a curved one for that matter.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

And then a few nights ago, after getting my Netflix account turned back on:

In this indie LGBT comedy, teacher Richard Martinez (Roy Haylock) gets relocated from Manhattan to a Texas high school but gets fired after being outed as gay.

He eventually reinvents himself as Bianca Del Rio (Haylock's real-life drag persona, winner of RuPaul's Drag Race), as a means of getting revenge on those who wronged Martinez, including a pair of mean girls (who gave Martinez some laxative-laced chocolates and is eventually dubbed "Bath Mat" by Del Rio because Del Rio "thinks [the girl] smells like feet"), a duplicitous vice principal (SNL alumnus Rachel Dratch) and her busty daughter (who is also a teacher), and various others.

Throw in a few fellow Drag Race alumni, such as Willam Belli and Shangela and Alyssa Edwards as Ambrosia Salad, Mama Ru herself as a weatherman warning of Hurricane Bianca (an actual hurricane occurring during the film's events, with RuPaul serving as a Greek chorus of sorts) and Margaret Cho and Alan Cumming, and you get a pretty funny film with razor-sharp wit, ballsy humor and plenty of heart.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

The Church

Back in Medieval Germany (at least, I think it’s Germany) a group of knights rides into town where they believe a cult of witches/demon worshipers lives and slaughters every living thing they can find, because Medieval logic states that, yeah, that duck was probably fine, but why take any chances? But even in death the demons are considered too strong, so the decision is made to erect a church over the massive pile of bodies they’ve just buried, in hopes of containing the evil.

”You don’t suppose we slaughtered any innocent people back there, do yo–” “Shut up, Hans.”

Time skip ahead to present day (circa 1980s) and the church that was built over the den of sin is getting a new librarian, Evan. He ends up being late because he spends too much time gawking at a grotesque fresco and getting art supplies dropped on his head by the cute art restorer.

Said art restorer comes to visit him a few days later when she uncovers a hidden text buried in a wall. Evan eventually deciphers the coded script, which promises eternal life to whomever unlocks something beneath a stone carved with seven eyes. Evan immediately decides, “F*%# books, this is MUCH better!” (One wonders why he became a librarian) and he goes off in search of the mysterious stone. He finds it, of course, and inadvertently releases the contained evil hidden below.

Evan accidentally cuts himself in the process, and becomes possessed, because I guess possession works the same as zombie infection. So basically, the world is screwed.

But wait! Turns out the builders crafted some sort of self destruct mechanism that would activate if ever the evil in the church was somehow released. Shockingly, after 1000+ years of inactivity, the damn thing still works and the church goes into lockdown, sealing itself up from the outside world.

Unfortunately, it also traps everyone inside, including worshipers, a biker couple, a couple of old tourists, a modeling crew and a bunch of kids on a field trip. As the evil slowly spreads throughout the people trapped within and the church itself, it’s up to Father Gus, the sole unaffected priest, to make a decision: find and activate the final phase of the church’s self destruction and pull the kill switch, or let the evil take it’s course and possibly wipe out all of humanity.

Decisions, decisions....

It’s at the point in the film, where the evil is unleashed, that the movie goes off the deep end as only Italian horror films can. With only a couple of exceptions, everyone seemingly goes crazy and the film devolves into creative stabbings, hallucinations, decapitations, probable molestation and romantic satanic candlelight rituals in the buff.

And damn it all, if it ain’t pretty while doing so.

Well, it's pretty as far as horror standards go.

Nice to see they spent their millennia of confinement coming up with creative orgy positions.

It really should come as no surprise that Dario Argento is tied to this movie. It was originally supposed to be a sequel to the Demons series, but then Michele Soavi got hold of it and altered the script, turning it more into a distant cousin with a surrealist bent. Which is probably partially why parts of the movie make no sense, but then again that’s often part of the Italian horror experience. The film makes up for it by knocking people off in a variety of creative ways, yet the gore still winds up being relatively mild considering the massive death toll.

Overall, my biggest complaint with The Church involved the editing. It was notably choppy in a couple of areas. Whether it was an effect of the editing process itself or due to the edits to the script, I’m not certain. Other than that, I found the film fairly enjoyable. It’s got some logic issues and a very slow build-up, but once it hits its stride it graces you with a surrealist pay-off filled with some very impressive gothic visuals and practical special effects. Definitely a recommendation to the fans of kooky and Italian horror films.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Michi, did you ever see the previous Demons films? You may have mentioned whether or not you have but I can't remember off hand, assuming you did.

If not, I recommend them and believe that they are both on Blu-Ray. Though when I rented Demons 2 from Netflix, I believe they only had the DVD.