Your fave 7th Gen games (PS3/360/Wii only)

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Your fave 7th Gen games (PS3/360/Wii only)

Post by Segata »

List and talk about your favorite games from 7th gen which includes Sony PlaySation 3 Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360.
Last edited by Segata on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Re: Your fave 7th Gen games (PS3/360/Wii only)

Post by marurun »

I really like Wii Sports Resort. It's not a game I'm gonna sit down and play for hours on end, but it definitely gave me some enjoyment, and it was fun to compete with my wife at Frisbee golf and bowling. The Wii Motion Plus control really demonstrated the power and potential for well-thought motion control-based gaming, unlike much of the shovelware that clogged the console's release cycle.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Flake

Post by Flake »

In no particular order...

Gundam Extreme Versus (PS3) - One of the best mecha arcade games ever made. Surpassed my beloved Gundam vs Zeta Gundam in every way.

Punch Out!! (Wii) - A much better sequel to the iconic NES original than Super Punch-Out was. Very replayable, too. I am terrible at this game and still love it, which is a hard balance for any game to achieve.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Wii) - I think that this is my favorite installment of the 'vs' series, despite some of the Tatsunoko characters being unfamiliar to me. The 2 on 2 design keeps the game playable as a fighter even for those of us who can't keep with with the MvC2 insanity.

Metroid: Other M (Wii - This game is so universally panned that I have just accepted that there is nothing I can say that articulates why I love this game to other people. It's not perfect but it still captivates me to no end. I wish it had been better accepted.

Tie - Dragon's Crown + Muramasa (PS3/Wii) - Vanillaware's artwork has always been good but the realization of ubiquitously affordable HDTVs has given their work newfound importance.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

No real order.

Dragon's Crown.-Spiritual successor to Dungeons & Dragons arcade games of the 90s. Adore both.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom- Easily my favorite fighting game from last gen. I don't know much of anything about Tatsunoko but this game made me watch some of it's stuff. Better than any other Capcom fighter of that generation.

Xenoblade Chronicles- Fantastic music,art,story and characters in a fantastic RPG. The best RPG that came out in 2011 easily. Fun world to explore on top of that with maybe the most original setting.

The Last Story- From the creator of Final Fantasy,this game so far has lived up to it's name as the final console game he has made. A fun story. A RPG that cuts the fat. Very interesting battle system with choice of for example. Shoot every goblin or shoot the pillar supporting the platform they are on. Up to you. Fantastic OST from Nobuo Uematsu. Game is not easy but awesome.

Dragon Age Origins- The game is technical mess on PS3 but the game has a engaging story. Fantastic characters. A Turn based system that tricks people into thinking it's an ARPG to get those people into it. Only one thing sucks. The fade.

Assassin's Creed II-Not big into this series but this was easily the one with the best story and characters and the soundtrack from Jesper Kyd is bound to be awesome. Later the games got dumbed down in gameplay and forced the real historical figures in. ACII did it very organically. Ezio will easily go down as the best AC main character and one of the best form it's generation.

Darksiders I-II Both games take a lot from Zelda,make it a awesome setting. Play as 2 of the 4 horseman.(sorry no Ric Flair) Jesper Kyd on the second games soundtrack. Michael Wincott as Death. Just excellent games. Now just waiting for the 3rd game.

VanQuish- It's Platinum and a TPS. It's fun as hell,fast paced. Nonsense story but hey who cares. The best single player TPS IMO.

Binary Domain- From SEGA. A TPS but with a great story. A cool mechanic of social link with team mates. Get on their good side and they stay with you til the end. Get on their bad side and they will either abandon you or fight you. Leaving you to fight the final boss with how many or how little people you became friends with.

Sonic Racing Transformed- I like it more than any Mario Kart. Only real issue is unlocking things can be a pain.

E.X. Troopers- Spinoff to Lost Planet if LP became more anime. You play as students in an academy. Just think Lost Planet with cel shaded anime visuals. Lighthearted tone. The game despite being in all Japanese is SUPER import friendly. I beat the whole game not knowing a word. The game points you everywhere. You can figure it out in minutes. Pretty cool soundtrack as well.

Strider 2014- Who would have thought Double Helix would reboot this series and be one of the best games in the series. Fantastic game.

Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning- WOW what a fantastic game and flew under the radar. Big world to explore that is very colorful. Fantastic combat. One of the best WRPGs of last gen. Better than some of the more popular ones.

Klonoa- Remake of the PS1 classic. Great game.

Lost in Shadow- Do you like Ico like games? Get this. Maybe not as good and is a little too long it's still a really good game with some great atmosphere. The shadow puzzle mechanic is great.

Majin & the forsaken kingdom-This game is the true definition of hidden gem. It has the touchy feely bits of an Ico like game. It has some humor. The puzzles are well done and you will get greatly attached to the characters. Such a shame Game Republic went out. This game deserves a follow up of some kind.

No More Heroes 1-2 It's a Suda game. Hyper violent,a bit odd but a lot of fun.

Sonic Colors & Sonic Generations- Yeah great Sonic games exist!

Blue Dragon- Game get's a lot of hate but I think it has a lot of charm. Is it trying to be the next Dragon Quest? Yes kinda. No it's not quite there. Still a really good RPG from Mistwalker.

Raiden IV-My Favorite Shmup of last gen. Love the OST as well.

Akai Katana-Not played Deathsmiles yet but I did adore this game and what a rocking OST.

Metal Gear Rising:Revengence- Only Metal Gear game I really REALLY love. Cyborgs,Ninjas and Platinum. Yes please.

rain- No not Heavy Rain. Just rain. Again Ico ish. From Sony. Great game. Heart warming.

I liked many more from the 7th gen but these are my favorites.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Well, let me say first and foremost that I've not played all of the games I own for these consoles, so there are definitely some great games that I don't even own. But I guess I'll go about this by giving my top five games (in no particular order) for each of these three consoles. For multiplats, I'm going to include it on whichever system I played it on first.

Question, though - why no inclusion of DS or PSP? Those are 7th gen handhelds.

Playstation 3
The Last of Us
Uncharted 2
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Vanquish

Wii
The Last Story
House of the Dead: Overkill
Super Mario Galaxy
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Xbox 360
Gears of War
Halo Wars
FEAR
Dragon Age Origins
Akai Katana
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Question, though - why no inclusion of DS or PSP? Those are 7th gen handhelds.

I would not consider handheld generations the way I'd consider console ones. Like, it might seem clear that the 3DS mostly existed along side the Wii U and the DS mostly alongside the Wii, but the Game Boy came out 2 years before the SNES and it's successor didn't show up until the PS2 era. Is it a 3rd gen, 4th gen or 5th gen handheld?

It competed directly with the Game Gear in the Mega Drive era and the Neo Geo Pocket in the N64 one.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

alienjesus wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Question, though - why no inclusion of DS or PSP? Those are 7th gen handhelds.

I would not consider handheld generations the way I'd consider console ones. Like, it might seem clear that the 3DS mostly existed along side the Wii U and the DS mostly alongside the Wii, but the Game Boy came out 2 years before the SNES and it's successor didn't show up until the PS2 era. Is it a 3rd gen, 4th gen or 5th gen handheld?

It competed directly with the Game Gear in the Mega Drive era and the Neo Geo Pocket in the N64 one.

I see your point. I always considered the Game Boy to be a fourth gen handheld, the Gameboy Color to be a fifth gen, Gameboy Advance to be sixth gen, the DS to be seventh gen, and 3DS to be eighth gen.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I always considered the Game Boy to be a fourth gen handheld, the Gameboy Color to be a fifth gen, Gameboy Advance to be sixth gen, the DS to be seventh gen, and 3DS to be eighth gen.

I agree.

The DS and PSP are 7th gen handhelds, simple as that. But it doesn't bother me if this is a console specific thread. I'll come back with some answers later tonight. Looking forward to seeing more opinions from everyone.
Last edited by Exhuminator on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

I see your point. I always considered the Game Boy to be a fourth gen handheld, the Gameboy Color to be a fifth gen, Gameboy Advance to be sixth gen, the DS to be seventh gen, and 3DS to be eighth gen.

My problem with that is that plenty of original GB compatible titles were released right up til the GBA came out. Pretty significant ones too, like most of the Pokémon titles.

The Game Boy color was more akin to the souped up New 3DS or PS4 Pro than it is to a brand new console.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Handhelds are definitely a different beast.

As far as Wii/Wii U/Switch goes, I think Wii is firmly 7th gen, Wii U kind of spraddles the 7th and 8th, and Switch is firmly 8th gen.

(But the tech does muddy the water, because the Wii is basically 6th-gen tech. And the Switch is more in the mobile realm.)