Share some of your best gaming screen shots

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Share some of your best gaming screen shots

Post by Ack »

Stark wrote:
Ack wrote:What I really appreciate about the game is how heavily it's steeped in Warhammer Fantasy lore. I'd say I prefer the character interactions to those of L4D. It really does feel like these characters live in this world, with its problems, politics, and prejudices. It's pretty awesome.

I think I really like WH lore or I would if I played more of it. I enjoyed the hell out of Space Marine and a large part was the world building.

Lore is one of the things I find most interesting about Warhammer 40,000. Warhammer Fantasy I'm not nearly as well versed in by comparison, but there are some points of comparison between the two(certain races either directly or serving effectively as stand-ins for other races). One of the things that I love about Warhammer Fantasy though is the Scaven, which is why Vermintide appealed to me. But beyond just that, the five "heroes" of Vermintide are from a relatively dark world. Each of them has seen and done things they may or may not be proud of, they comment on their enemies, they comment on each other.

For instance, in one of the exchanges that occur, the imperial soldier(turned mercenary apparently) Ruger admits he's fought the beast men in multiple campaigns, but that they're nothing like the Scaven. One of the other characters points out, "That's because the Scaven plan," and Kruger worriedly repeats that, "That's right, they have a plan." It somewhat frightens him that he's facing an enemy that is nearly endless, has no value for life, and is ruthlessly cunning. But the elf and the dwarf? They're more than a bit nonchalant about facing the Scaven, particularly Bardin the dwarf, because he's fought them before. The Dwarves and Scaven have encountered each other while burrowing through the mountains, while the Elves are, well, elves.

But there are moments of levity too. The bright wizard asks the dwarf in one exchange how much he had to drink before they left. He asks why it matters, and she reminds him that her magic might ignite his alcohol-laced breath. He agrees to try not to breath too much. Meanwhile the witch hunter occasionally sees torture equipment and chambers and immediately begins mumbling to himself about how much he admires certain pieces of equipment the enemies are using and must acquire some for his personal collection. Characters praise the prowess of each other in combat but also laugh and joke about it if someone gets attacked by a special enemy and survives.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack wrote:So is it a puzzle/platformer FPS in the vein of The Ball, Portal, A Story About My Uncle, or Magrunner: Dark Pulse?

I've only played Portal out of those. I guess if we want to fit this into its own genre, it's kind of in there.

Here's someone beating the entire thing and getting all collections in 30 minutes, lmao. Some video probably does a better job of showing it off than pics. But... yeah this guy is breaking things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ2o-jL1vdY

In a very strange way makes me think of Super Monkey Ball. I love weird obstacle platformers like this.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ack wrote:But the elf and the dwarf? They're more than a bit nonchalant about facing the Scaven, particularly Bardin the dwarf, because he's fought them before. The Dwarves and Scaven have encountered each other while burrowing through the mountains, while the Elves are, well, elves.

The reason why I almost failed Highschool Calculus comes back now:
So in the Warhammer Fantasy world, the Skaven have vast underworld network under the large parts of the world. Several times the Skaven have come up and taken over parts of the world - notably when they migrated over land and left a wave of destruction behind. They utilize very advance hit and run tactics coming out of their tunnels or the Empires sewers. But thats not to say they are all for one, one for all. The Skaven are cowardly - in the game their typical leadership score is under 5 (an average human is 7 out of 10). They are lead by vicious commander rats from the different clans the race is broken out to, with tactics passed down by the Council of 13 who run the Skaven world. There are many clans, when you play as Skaven you create your own, but they roll up into four main or "Warlord" clans:
Clan Eshin - the Assassins - highly mobile and work in small groups or solo.
Clan Pestilens - Plague bearers - work in poisons and AOE attacks.
Clan Moulder - Breeders - Breed and build masses of large rats, and the horrifying Rat
ogres
Clan Skyre - Steampunk - Builders of the warmachines and steampunk before it was cool contraptions.

Each Clan has standard Clanrats (fodder), Storm Vermin (elite fodder), and Slaves (slow fodder). Warlock Engineers (low level mages) and Grey Seers (bad ass mages). Oh and an avatar of their god which was stupidly broken for a long time.

In the mythos the Skaven and Dwarves are bitter enemies, since they are both miners. There are many stories of Dwarven sabotage into the outlying Skaven cities, as well as Skaven murdering Dwarves. One of note is when the Warpfire cannon was introduced to the world, clanrats had a party of Dwarves pinned against a door and they had the 2 man team move forward to release hell on the short men (warpfire is warpstone [magic meteorite] in a flame thrower). Skaven however have just as many great stories about their plans going askew because everything they own and build is juryrigged and has a high chance to explode or kill Skaven. Case in point, the Warpfire cannon has a chance to just explode. And now you know why I enjoyed them.

Skaven and Elves are mostly apart. Skaven kept to the cities of man and beastmen. So Dwarves, Empire, Bretonnia, Chaos, Undead, and Orcs/Goblins. There are some stories of them fighting Elves and Lizardmen, but for the most part they are attacking man.

*Note that the history has changed a couple times. In the past Skaven could team up with Orcs and Goblins, then they couldnt. Weird crap like that happens in that world over time.

Reading through this you may think they are inspired by Secret of Nimh, I mean they were added to the game in the mid to late 80s. Jokes on you though, they were stolen directly from a Fritz Leiber 1968 novel - The Swords of Lankhmar. Where there is a city of man sized rats ruled by intelligent council of 13. Though there are elements of Italy's history in there too.

And that is more than most of you ever wanted to know about a fictional race of rat people I played in a game back in Highschool.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Killing Floor 2

So, Killing Floor 2 has finally officially released their new map. It's on a tropical island beside a large plane crash. There's just one problem: the island has an active volcano.

Well that can't be good.

Oh God, it's not good at all!

But despite the volcanoes and the new enemy type, the nasty and tough gorefiend, I was successful in knocking out the map entirely on all difficulties, including Hell on Earth:

And evil Dr. Hans Volter can suck it!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

woah, new map looks legit.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

I wasn't only playing the new Killing Floor 2 map however. I also put some time into Vermintide so I could give you guys another look at it.

This is a Screaming Bell. It is not a good thing. You need to destroy it.

Unfortunately, it's got guards. Guess who's about to get shot in the face in this picture.

Of course, destroying the supports that hold up the Screaming Bell will get the ratmen's attention. These slave rats were the start of a reprisal after I smashed the last support. They're a distraction though; the real horde was actually coming up behind me.

Here's a better look at the beginnings of an oncoming horde: a continuous stream of pathetic slave rats that look to overrun you by sheer numbers. They may be weak, but don't let them surround you.

All this hard work and rat smashing helped though. I now have a new hammer to smash with. 'Tis the new hotness.

And in this picture, Xen is a jerk. He's playing the Bright Wizard and using a beam staff to shoot me in the face.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:woah, new map looks legit.

Yeah, it's actually pretty cool. As the waves progress, the volcano explodes, and the tide comes in on the beach. Tripwire also added in a new Zed, the Gorefiend, a souped-up Gorefast who is far tougher and nastier than his predecessor. He's fast, he's got a lot of health, he does a ton of damage, and he can protect his head. Thankfully he only rarely appears on lower difficulties, though you'll see a ton of them on Suicidal and Hell on Earth.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Last few of Deadcore, which I beat, and it was HARD AS FUCK.

I dare you guys to beat this. Never has a game made me sweat this much.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ratmans got nards

Thats right, sleep, sleep
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, Fastbilly and I had some laughs in Vermintide last night.

Well, this is helpful.