2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
darsparx
Next-Gen

2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Post by darsparx »

It's that time of year again and figured I'd be consistent and start it again this year.

1.) Complete way more games
I jump between so many that I've not finished many this year and want to double what I have beaten this year since I'm sure it's only about 10 maybe and that's including the probability that I"m going to beat tales soon(which I should). I'm hoping to give the ps2/dc/ngc and ps1/n64 as well. There's plenty of games I'm going to try and beat alone on those if I can manage it..
2.) Case up more games
Yeah I just never got around to doing this this year. For consistency it'll be the bitbox cases for all my carts on the shelf and that game case sites custom cases for what games I don't have boxed already. I'll likely get around to this within a month or two of the new year I hope.
3.) Learn to get a healthy balance between games so as not to get burned out like I do
4.) Try to get closer to a setup where I have things like the retrode and some form of memory card reader so I can easily play what game I'm working working on on the go. Yes I hate emulation since I prefer my crt for these older games but push come to shove and I'll take them on the go so I can work on them during breaks at school. Especially since I doubt during the second half I'm going to have the crt with me on campus when I move up....would be nice but doubtful....

So yeah more of the same for me, but hopefully after Phantasia(so close I can taste it) I can keep some form of streak going and beat more. Just going to have to see how it goes from here on out. Anyone else care to share?
Last edited by darsparx on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: 2017 Gaming goals and resolutions

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Here are my 2017 Gaming Goals:

Beat at least fifteen more classic games on my "to beat" list. (There are a lot of great classic games on there - The Guardian Legend, Legacy of the Wizard, Phantasy Star Online, etc. - I just need to beat them.)

Beat another game in the Dragon Quest series. (I will certainly finish up DQVII in 2017. I may also try to get through the DS version of DQIV or DQV.)

Beat another first-person From Software ARPG. (It will probably be Shadow Tower Abyss - Thanks, Exhuminator! - but I may go back to King's Field II/III.)

Beat every game in at least one classic game series. (Adventure Island/Wonder Boy? Thunder Force? Classic Phantasy Star?)

Complete two more sub-sets of Atari 2600 games. (I am really close to knocking out a couple more of these.)

Finish my Atari 7800 collection. (Only 10 games to go!)

Finish my PS3 collection. (Only 15 games to go!)

Finish my Wii U collection. (Only 17 games to go!)

Finish at least one digital collection. (I am pretty close to polishing off a few of these.)

Complete game room construction. (This will be a lot of work, but it will be so worth it.)

Photograph and catalogue my video game collection. (This will be a lot of work too.)

Wish me luck!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Beat another game in the Dragon Quest series. (I will certainly finish up DQVII in 2017. I may also try to get through the DS version of DQIV or DQV.)

Because you understand the Wii is great, and you are open to new ideas:

It's an underrated action-RPG. Yes, I said action-RPG. Those who think it's just a rail-slicer did not play the game long enough.

If you don't go with that, DQIV on DS is awesome too.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I didn't set any goals this year, but I've had a sort of internal voice that thinks it'd be cool (and patently ridiculous!) if I could finish 200 games this year. I'll never, ever, ever approach anything like that again.

Sad thing is, if you look at the games I've been beating, it's totally doable. So many of the older 8-bit platformers are really short, so it's just a matter of sticking with them. And not wasting time on so many longer-form games. Darn that RPG affinity that I have. Now that SNESDrunk has thrown Hagane into the mix, I might give that one a shot.

I can totally squeeze in 45 games before the end of the year, right?

Uh, right? (Noooooope.)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I know it's entirely unoriginal but I'm thinking:
1) Buy less games
2) Play more of what I have already
3) Be more conscientious about solid attempts to finish what I start
4) Downsize a bit further and try and slash the backlog one way or another.

That said I may have only picked up my Sega Genesis (again) 13 mo ago, but I've barely used it at all since summer, Game Gear almost as bad unless I get something to tool with. I'm thinking either I just have too much, or I can't focus, or a bit of both. I may just put all sorts of stuff like it or not in front of the second hand firing squad.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Now that I'm long-term unemployed I'm easing up on some of the financial/collecting based goals.

So, 2016 was kinda aimless gameplay-wise for me. This is primarily because I had a daughter born in March. My schedule has smoothed out a bit as of a few months ago (the kids sleep! at the same time!) so I feel like I can get back into the swing of things.

I'd like to play games I own but haven't played before, to put it simply. I plan on diving deep into the 3DO and PC Engine. I'd also like to work my way through my FDS library. Visuals novels have apparently struck a cord with me as well, and some "classics" await.

Of course there are a few things I'd like to purchase. I really want a CD-I (shut up) and the SG-1000 is tempting me as well. Completing a North American SNES RPG set is also theoretically possible, but it's not a pressing matter.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I think I only ended up finishing like two of my five or six 2016 goals, but I'll try this again!

1. Complete my Fire Emblem collection. I still need the Famicom original, Thracia 776, Binding Blade, and the Japan-exclusive DS one.

2. Beat the Witcher trilogy. I've got all three, and I've played through the first one, but I need to play 2 and 3.

3. Get at least a couple of Hyperscan games (along with a controller and power cord)

4. Finish the Fatal Frame series (this is a carry over from 2016 since I got hella slack)

5. Have a zero balance on my Amazon and SECU credit cards at literally any point during the year.

I know #5 is a pretty lofty goal for me, but we'll see how it goes.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:If you don't go with that, DQIV on DS is awesome too.

Thanks for the recommendations! I really do need to get to some of the offshoots from the DQ series, and the Wii game may be the first one I try out. (I own a copy and have played it briefly. I have not spent more than a few hours with it, however.) I might also give DQ Wars (DSiWare) a shot too.

I have actually beaten DQIV. I emulated the NES version almost two decades ago, and I thought it was pretty great. Now that I appreciate the series more, I really should revisit it, and since I played a different version, long ago, before knowing anything about the series, it will be like a completely new game to me.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Keeping with the simple three:
Finish Dragon Quest V
Finish Kings Quest Series
Finish Steel Battalion
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

fastbilly1 wrote:Finish Kings Quest Series

I read that as "Kings Field" at first and was like "Damn, the whole series?? You got way more balls than me, bro."
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.