PC-98, any Consise Guides?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
chuckster
32-bit

PC-98, any Consise Guides?

Post by chuckster »

A thread on another gaming forum surrounding 16-bit cityscapes showed me a few really cool looking PC-98 adventure games (albeit adult ones). I had always known Snatcher and Policenauts began on computers like this and then were ported to their respective consoles, but the alternate versions never tempted me into exploring the libraries. These screens though, from games like Possesioner, have made me curious about what I can find on the system, or others like it.

I then went on a search, but it looks like information on both games for the system and it's emulation was sprawling and mostly from a few years ago or more. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations on the best games for the old Japanese computers like the PC-88 and 98, MSX1/2 or even the X68k, preferably adventure games.

Also, I've looked into MESS and Retroarch (using the latter quite a bit), but I'm not seeing support for the pre-DOS Japanese computers, I'd also like any tips you guys have on emulation.
Last edited by chuckster on Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: PC-98, any Consise Guides?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Thanks Bones, I figured you'd be in on this! I love HG101 and that's about the only solid info I found. I had looked over Tokugawa, but I was quickly lost. I'll have to try out a few different emulators I suppose. Once I get one working it'll be just like any other system, try games until I find one I like!
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Those resources from BSD are the ones I used to get me started, and worked out great. I had some issues getting some games up and running, but once you do, and with a good gamepad, there's a lot of fun to be had.