K.I. Killer Cuts gets a vinyl release

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

K.I. Killer Cuts gets a vinyl release

Post by J T »

Let me take you back to the year 1995. Killer Instinct was released for the Super Nintendo, and it came with a black cartridge and an accompanying CD full of sweet jams that rocked every cheesy dance music cliche' of the 90s. If you were a fighting game nerd at the time, you had this CD, and you probably self-consciously rocked out to it either in your car or your bedroom.

LET YOUR BODY ROCK!
LET YOUR BOOY MOVE!
LET YOUR BODY JUMP!
TO THE KILLER GROOVE!

As the thread title says, it's over 20 years later and Killer Cuts is finally getting remastered and pressed to vinyl. You can buy it here. I, however, am simply using this as an excuse to talk about this album and how shitty great it is.

I was a senior in high school when this came out and I knew enough about music to know that this was not good dance music. I have never not felt stupid listening to this CD, and yet I have never not had a total blast listening to it. When it comes to populist 90s dance music, all of the cliches were established by C+C Music Factory, and were then solidified, confirmed, and perfected in Killer Cuts. This is so bad it's awesome, and then so awesome it is bad. It's the ultimate shitty CD that you love.

Does it deserve a remaster and vinyl edition? No, but absolutely yes! I can't think of any album that I so simultaneously love and can't stand at the exact same time. It's so over-the-top, ridiculous, and cliche, and yet so infectious, fun, and danceable. I hate it. I love it. I hate it. I love it. Trying to hold a definite opinion of it is like trying to hold onto one of those water-weenie toys that slides out of your hands the tighter you grasp. If you love it in all earnest, than you are naive to how silly the whole thing is. If you hate it in all earnest, then you are a joyless individual who takes this too seriously. I love it, but I don't, but I do! GAHH!

Who else holds a copy of this in their collection? Who among us will admit that you sang along to the lyrics in your car, or that they got stuck in your head for days? Who among us will admit that they danced alone in their room with that "Killer Feeling!" to what I can only assume was simultaneously the most joyous and patheticly sad moment of your existence? Who among us will admit that this CD is still in their rotation 20 years later (fuck the haters)?
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: K.I. Killer Cuts gets a vinyl release

Post by Xeogred »

Nice tale JT, haha I am pretty sure I still have the CD myself stashed away somewhere. The irony is that I didn't even own Killer Instinct itself, a friend did so I knew what it was and played it a lot, but it's weird how I can't even remember how I got this. I think one day my dad just gave it to me knowing it was videogame related and wanted it out of his hands... at the time my aunt was a manager at Blockbuster and I sometimes got free games that they were supposed to dispose of if they were "bad" (damaged) or whatever. Or maybe it was just through my dad's best friend who's a huge gamer and has always been really generous to me growing up (he gave me Blaster Master, nuff' said). But I seriously can't remember.

I listened to this CD all the time. I can't think of another videogame CD that I had at the time. To listen to it, I used it through my Sega JVC, which I still wish I had my hands on. Long story there. But I was utterly obsessed with Sonic CD's music and Ecco the Dolphin as well. CD quality videogame music definitely blew my face off at the time.

Probably at the very least 10+ years later and literally sometime earlier this year, so not long ago, I finally remembered about this thing and looked it up on youtube. And yeah I had the same reaction... it's hilariously badly awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 74F63815B1 - OMEGA 90'S!

I loved Full-Bore because I always loved "evil" sounding stuff like that as a kid haha. Trailblazer is awesome too. As is ... Ya Ha Haa, Spinal's theme I think. lol

The main theme itself is extremely legit though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvq-znoS2HY

If you want more 90's to melt your face off, go listen to Need for Speed 3's OST again too. :lol:
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Yes! Xeogred is with me! I'm not alone!

It's horribly awesome, or awesomely horrible.
When it comes to this CD, I can never settle on whether I feel 8) or if I feel :oops:

Xeogred wrote:The main theme itself is extremely legit though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvq-znoS2HY

I used to love this too, though it sounded like outdated metal even back then. I loved the guitar solo anyway, and around this same time I ended up getting into virtuoso guitar music from people like Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Joe Satriani, so it wasn't too far off the mark from the general tone of some of the geeky musicianship metal I was getting into at the time, though lacking their technical skill. I was also getting into drum n bass and starting to go to raves for the first time, which required a lot of posteuring to pretend I was cool, so this was a horribly embarassing dance CD to have in my car back then. However, if I made a mix CD with "It's a Jungle" sandwiched in between some legit dnb like Goldie and 4 Hero, people wouldn't necessarily know that anything was amiss. Likewise, because I was also into industrail music, if I were to sneak in "Full Bore" with some Front 242 or Nitzer Ebb, I could secretly get people to listen to my nerdy gamer music.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ack

Post by Ack »

I admit, I also had this and would put it on and listen to it in my room. In fact, I'd actually play Killer Instinct, turn the volume off on the TV, and play this instead so I could listen to tracks like Tooth & Claw while on any stage. Oh man, and discovering the Humiliation music on there was actually my entry into "secret" tracks. Hey, I was 10 when this came out on the Super Nintendo.

Cinder 4 lyfe.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

J T wrote:shitty great

:lol:

I love this description. It describes Killer Cuts perfectly. I feel the same way about the Mortal Kombat film soundtrack, which I still rock out to at least once a year.

Ack wrote:Cinder 4 lyfe

Glacius 4 eva