How is your Sega CD gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Sega CD gaming going?

Post by noiseredux »

yup, I've had EC:CD before. I love this game. It's one of the most overlooked fighters of that generation, I think.

Sewer Shark I originally got with my Sega CD at launch Christmas.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

This seriously may be the greatest rendition of Hail to the Chief. The soundtrack to Eternal Champions on the Sega CD is so good!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Got a copy of Pitfall The Mayan Adventure in the mail this weekend, in anticipation of TR next month. To my knowledge this is the only Sega CD disc with an unlockable 2600 game on it.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

So I just ordered a Sega CD and got Sol-Feace and Silpheed with it. Any other good cheap games I should get for it?
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

swiftzx wrote:So I just ordered a Sega CD and got Sol-Feace and Silpheed with it. Any other good cheap games I should get for it?

I love Sol-Feace.

http://noisereduxvsdreamcast.weebly.com/sol-feace.html

Cheap games? Hmm. I think a lot of my favorite cheap games on the system tend to be ports of Genesis games, but I still prefer them on Sega CD. Stuff like NHL 94, NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat. Even the Arcade Classics stuff.

Sewer Shark is super common and wicked cheap. As far as FMV goes on the system, this game is hilarious and fun and more action-y than most.

That said, Sonic CD is a must-own and it's probably in the $15-$20 price range. Not super expensive.

Are you going disc-only or complete? That makes a big difference with Sega CD games.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

Thanks for the suggestions! If a game is 50+ dollars, then I'll get the disc only copy instead (Road Avenger is 20-25 disc only and 60+CIB).
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

My own personal recommendation... Spider-Man Vs the Kingpin. It's one of those enhanced Genesis ports... but in this case, it really is enhanced, and has a lot extra to it.

By the same token, Batman Returns is an enhanced version... of a terrible game.

And for brawler fans, Final Fight is the definitive home port (excluding modern arcade compilations), and has a really awesome-cheesy arranged soundtrack. And it plays 10x more smoothly than the SNES version. Trust me, it's hard to go back.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

touchofkiel wrote:My own personal recommendation... Spider-Man Vs the Kingpin. It's one of those enhanced Genesis ports... but in this case, it really is enhanced, and has a lot extra to it.

always meant to check this out cuz I liked the Genesis version a lot.

By the same token, Batman Returns is an enhanced version... of a terrible game.

oh word? It always looked kind of cool to me.

And for brawler fans, Final Fight is the definitive home port (excluding modern arcade compilations), and has a really awesome-cheesy arranged soundtrack. And it plays 10x more smoothly than the SNES version. Trust me, it's hard to go back.

This I agree with.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

Well, give the Genesis Batman Returns a try. You'll know then if you like it, but I think it's below average. The CD version adds 3D Batmobile segments which aren't particularly fun to play, IMO. But like other enhanced CD ports... it has a really cool arranged soundtrack that mixes the Elfman stuff with rock instrumentation. It's really good and moody.
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

I like the selections above. Eternal Champions I played the hell out of back in the day. Need to explore that sucker more.

If $30-40 isn't out of bounds I'd suggest The Terminator. Love that game, and Sega CD is the way to play it. It's a great representation of the system similar to Spider-Man in that it's the best version with greatly enhanced music, but it throws in just a smidge of those gloriously grainy cut scenes (which are just five second clips from the movie).

The Adventures of Willy Beamish is a point and click that I hold dear to my heart. It was a cardboard box game so if you don't care about tracking that down it should be disc only for $10-12. For whatever reason that game really captured being a kid who played video games in the early '90s.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames