Crysis 2 - 360
Final Fantasy XIII - 360
Portal 2 - 360
Half Life 2 - 360
Machinarium - PC
King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGDInteractive Remake) - PC

Total Games for 2011: 27

Thoughts on the Game(s)

This is a game I use to play a lot with my dad when I was younger, but I could never take credit as beating it, until I did it myself. While I was amazed how much I remembered, some of the puzzles were hard, my biggest problem was the timing based puzzles which you just rarely see in games anymore, so I wasn't even thinking on that plane.

Took me longer than I thought it would to finish, but the new 4.0 version has a new feature where it is impossible to use items out of order, meaning you don't have to jump back to the start if you forget something before going into an area, etc. You can still die, a lot.

Amazing how they pulled the art style off, it looks and plays with the same production values as KQ 5 and 6.

I might give the second one a shot sometime in the future, but for now I am all adventured out, well enough to want to jump into another Sierra adventure, even if a remake.
Flake

Re: Games Beaten : 2011

by Flake Sun May 15, 2011 5:35 pm

1/11 Guardian Heroes (SAT)
1/14 Sonic Adventure (GCN)
1/17 Marvel vs Capcom 2 (DC)
1/17 X-Men vs Street Fighter (SAT)
1/22 Dragon Ball Z Budokai (GCN)
1/24 Street Fighter III - The New Generation (DC)
1/24 Street Fighter Alpha 3 (DC)
1/25 Mega Man X (GCN)
1/26 Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure (GBA)
1/31 Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Wii)
2/1 Megaman X2 (GCN)
2/2 Marvel vs Capcom (DC)
2/3 Megaman X3 (GCN)
2/3 Megaman X4 (GCN)
2/4 Megaman X5 (GCN)
2/5 Megaman X6 (GCN)
2/7 Gundam SEED: Never Ending Tomorrow (PS2)
2/8 Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (DC)
2/9 Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (PS2)
2/9 The King of Fighters XI (PS2)
2/11 The King of Fighters '99 Dream Match (DC)
2/13 SNK Gals Fighter (NGPC)
2/16 The King of Fighters '98 (Wii)
2/17 The King of Fighters '96 (Wii)
2/17 Metal Slug (Wii)
2/17 Metal Slug 2 (Wii)
2/18 SNK vs Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (NGPC)
2/19 The King of Fighters '97 (Wii)
2/19 Street Fighter II' (Wii / VC)
2/22 Metal Slug 3 (Wii)
2/25 Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
2/27 Capcom vs SNK 2 (DC)
2/27 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
3/3 Mega Man II (GB)
3/5 Super Street Fighter II: HD Remix (PS3)
3/6 Mega Man III (GB)
3/11 Mega Man IV (GB)
3/13 Mega Man: Powered Up! (PSP)
3/14 Garou: Mark of the Wolves (DC)
3/15 Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (PS2)
3/15 Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold (PS2)
3/15 Street Fighter Alpha 2 (PS2)
3/15 Street Fighter EX 3 (PS2)
3/15 Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (PS2)
3/16 The King of Fighters R2 (NGPC)
3/16 Project Justice: Rival Schools (DC)
3/17 Capcom Fighting Evolution (PS2)
3/20 Zone of the Enders (PS2)
3/21 P.N.03 (GCN)
3/21 Super Puzzle Fighter II (GBA)
3/27 Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (3DS)
4/10 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 (GCN)
4/28 Vampire Savior (SAT)
5/3 Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
5/7 Virtua Fighter Kids (SAT)
5/12 Soul Calibur II (GCN)
5/13 Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA)
5/14 Dead or Alive 2 (DC)
5/14 Gigawing (DC)
5/15 Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (Wii)

I like Sonic 4. I know that hating it is the 'thing' that the cool kids are doing but whenever I start playing this game I get this odd sensation that I call, for lack of a better word, 'fun'. It's not a perfect game by any means but I enjoy it immensely.

I think my sudden Sonic kick is going to take me to Sonic Colors next.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
final fight cd
Next-Gen

by final fight cd Sun May 15, 2011 5:39 pm

CFFJR wrote:What's the furthest point you've reached so far?

i don't know if the levels differ depending on what character you play as, but i always pick venom over spider man.

the farthest i can get is prospect park. it's the level after the second roof top battle and you walk left instead of right.
if you took a shit, please put it back
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun May 15, 2011 8:44 pm

1. Mercs (PS2)
2. Darkstalkers 3 (PS1)
3. House Of The Dead Overkill (Wii)
4. Mega Man 3 (PS2)
5. Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters (PS2)
6. Halo 2600 (Atari 2600)
7. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)
8. Castlevania Chronicles (PS1)
9. Shadow Of The Colossus (PS2)
10. Capcom Vs. SNK Pro (PS1)
11. Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Mark Of The Millennium (PS2)
12. Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)
13. Mobile Light Force (PS1)
14. Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (PS3)

Okay, so wow. This game is so different from the Capcom fighters I'm used to. This new simplified control scheme at first really threw me off. And at first I was almost nervous I wasn't going to like it. But after a few times I was able to get used to it and everything started to make more sense.

First off, I have to say something about the graphics... again, I admit that I was the one who actually made threads about how I hated the look of these games from screenshots I saw in magazines. But fuck off, man. Playing them is something else altogether. I am astounded just how good this looks (especially via HDMI). And just like SSF4, it retains a 2D feel while the characters are these amazing looking 3D models. Just unreal.

ANYWAY my team was Wolverine, Chun-Li and Morrigan. All three have been favorites of mine throughout the Capcom history of fighting games. Speaking of which, I adored the character selection! I mean Tron Bonne you guys!? And all the little touches that Capcom put into the backgrounds -- the goddamn graveyard that I've died in three million times from Ghosts N Goblins!! The violent streets of Final Fight!! Just so awesome.

I was definitely shocked by the final boss. I did once because I just didn't even realize that was really something I COULD fight. Haha. And I'd say it took me a good five or six times to defeat him. And to be totally honest, that was luck... I had gotten his health down pretty good, but he had killed Wolvie and Chun-Li and Morrigan was hurting and it just so happened that my desperate panicky button mashing was just quick enough to fuck him up before he could get that last devastating shot in.

So ultimately, I say this... great game. I really think it's excellent. I'm sure I'll spend a lot more time on it -- I'll have to. I am MILES away from being ready to even fight against anyone online.
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Sun May 15, 2011 8:52 pm

noiseredux wrote:And all the little touches that Capcom put into the backgrounds -- the goddamn graveyard that I've died in three million times from Ghosts N Goblins!! The violent streets of Final Fight!! Just so awesome.

My favorite part of the game! The Ghosts 'n Goblins stage is just awesome. I let me son play MvC3 all of the time and its actually fun to just watch the backgrounds to see the little details they put into them.

I think its also worth noting that I think I remember reading that there is going to be a Dino Crisis themed stage in Street Fighter X Tekken, which also looks like a great game.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Tue May 17, 2011 1:06 am

final fight cd wrote:
CFFJR wrote:What's the furthest point you've reached so far?

i don't know if the levels differ depending on what character you play as, but i always pick venom over spider man.

the farthest i can get is prospect park. it's the level after the second roof top battle and you walk left instead of right.

Prospect Park sucks, heh. That's the back half of the game though, you're getting close!

Sometimes Spidey and Venom have different levels, other times they're the same. Venom has a much easier time late game because he has fewer stages, and boss fights, to go through.

Talking to you about it has made me nostalgic, so I've been playing the game. I'll try to beat it again. :D
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue May 17, 2011 2:06 am

emwearz wrote:King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGDInteractive Remake) - PC

You're a better gamer than I. I tried to play the original King's Quest from the 6 pack and I just couldn't do it. It was soooo sloooowww. I used to love these games when I was a kid, but watching the character walk around now felt like it took forever! It still had some of its old charm, but I just couldn't stomach all the waiting. And I really don't like typing commands anymore. Switching over to point and click from those old text parser user-interfaces was the best thing the adventure genre ever did.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue May 17, 2011 11:46 am

Metal Torrent- DSiWare
Kirby Super Star Ultra - NDS
DoDonPachi - PS1
Cruis'n USA - N64
Cruis'n World - N64
DonPachi - PS1
Cut the Rope - iPhone
Cut the Rope: Holiday Gift - iPhone
Mass Effect - 360
Galaga Remix - Wii
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - Wii
Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 - 360
DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou - PS2
DoDonPachi Resurrection - iPhone
Triggerheart Exelcia - Dreamcast
Heavy Barrel - Wii/Arcade
Tetris (Rev A and Rev B) - Game Boy
Street Fighter IV - iPhone
Killzone - PS2
Dead Space 2 - PS3
Marvel vs Capcom 3- PS3
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess - PSP
Killzone 3- PS3
Lost Planet 2 - PS3
Star Wars: Dark Forces - PC
Nemesis - Game Boy
Space Invaders Extreme 2 -NDS
Kirby's Dream Land - Game Boy
Mass Effect 2 - 360
Mass Effect 2: Shadow Broker - 360
Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory - 360
Kirby's Dream Land 2- Game Boy
Ginga Fukei Densetsu: Sapphire- PCE-CD
Soul Calibur - Dreamcast
Dragon Age II - PS3
Espgaluda II - iPhone
Portal 2 -PC
Metroid: Zero Mission - GBA*new*
Vanquish - PS3 *new*

Metroid Zero Mission is the first 2D Metroid game I have played through to completion (I know, I know…), and I enjoyed the game quite a bit. I thought they did a good job of making the bare bones story interesting with some great cut scenes and a neat gameplay twist, the gameplay mechanics felt absolutely perfect, and the aesthetic elements all came together nicely. I am currently playing Fusion, and while I don’t enjoy it as much it is clear to me now that I strongly prefer the 2D Metroid games over the 2D Castlevania games.

Vanquish might be my favorite game published by Sega this generation. Not only are the production levels top-notch, but the action is an absolute blast that never lets up. I beat Lost Planet 2 earlier this year, which was plenty of fun to play online, but still felt lacking overall. Vanquish is what happens if you take an LP2 style of gameplay but ratchet everything up (difficulty, intensity, storytelling, etc.) several notches. It is well worth the purchase if you’ve been on the fence. A hell of a lot of fun, and I hope it does indeed get a sequel.).
yomomma1
128-bit

by yomomma1 Tue May 17, 2011 4:59 pm

1. Deja Vu
2. Lunar Legend
3. Skies of Arcadia Legends
4. Streets of rage 2
5. No more heroes 2
6. Rogue Galaxy
7. Pokemon White
8. Dragon Age 2
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops
10. Mafia 2
11. ArcaniA: Gothic 4
12. Two worlds II
13. Divinity 2 flames of vengeance
14. Rune Factory 3
15. Hitman Blood Money(new)

I really liked hitman blood money. Should I try any of the other games in the series? Are they similar?
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue May 17, 2011 6:23 pm

J T wrote:
emwearz wrote:King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGDInteractive Remake) - PC

You're a better gamer than I. I tried to play the original King's Quest from the 6 pack and I just couldn't do it. It was soooo sloooowww. I used to love these games when I was a kid, but watching the character walk around now felt like it took forever! It still had some of its old charm, but I just couldn't stomach all the waiting. And I really don't like typing commands anymore. Switching over to point and click from those old text parser user-interfaces was the best thing the adventure genre ever did.

I couldn't play the text parser original of the series, the AGDInteractive Remake is a freeware SVGA remake that has graphics similar to KQ5 and uses the same interface, has voice acting, etc. It make's it much easier to play than the original. There is also an option to disable dead ends / un-winnable situations.

I just started playing the second one, which I don't remember as much from and damn, I am stuck all ready (Though the second one is meant to be much more linear and easier, I guess because I spent less time on it).

Check them out if you have not seen them.
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html
Return to General Gaming