Satoshi Matrix Bead Sprites

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Satoshi Matrix Bead Sprites

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Hey all, I've something that I think this community would be interested in seeing. Since I was a kid, I've loved craftwork. Making things out of wood, homemade christmas ornaments, that sort of thing. For about a year now, I've taken up a sort of unusual hobby. How could I combine my love of craftwork with my other favorite hobby - ratro gaming? The answer: fuse beads.

Fuse beads, a simple craft meant for children to create simple shapes, is based on a grid format, just as pixels are in sprites. Doing some guesswork originally, then finally getting serious with actual spritesheets, I've since made many sprites.

As most of you guys already know, I'm a huge Rockman fan, almost bordering an obsession. I'd like to show you guys what I've made! I literally have hundreds of beadsprites. I'm posting here on this board because these are all classic gaming related and probably gets more traffic.

Unlike most spriters, I've gone to great lengths to make sure that my sprites adhere to the NES color pallet as closely as possible in general (meaning they are never miscolored) but I also adhere to their original full-color designs, and recolor the sprites to match what they would look in in artwork as opposed to the limited amount of colors the NES could produce for them. You'll see what I mean as I post my works.

So anyway, without further ado, here's my sprite works! All items are for sale and I do offer commission work for custom orders. I take pride in what I do, so any orders placed with be met with the highest standards complete with backing for extra strength. magnets are also optional to put these on any fridge.

This is a series of various sprites. You've got a series of Tetris blocks, Bub from Bobble Bobble, Shantae from one of the GBC's best games of the same name, a custom made Zero Suit 8-bit Samus, Luigi, a ? Block and a Koopa troopa from SMB1, DigDug, The Wizard from my favorite childhood C64 game, and finally a bead sprite Famicom.

Various sprites. The bottom right sprite is suppose to be Super Joe in Megaman sprite style, but it actually ends up looking more like Tomonobu Itagaki. 8)

Bosses from Megaman 1. From left to right and top to bottom: Dr. Light, Rush, Protoman, Megaman, Roll, Cutman, Gutsman, Iceman, Bombman, Fireman, Elecman. Oilman and Timeman are missing as I don't have any sprites for them. Can someone here help?

Bosses from Megaman 2. From left to right and top to bottom: Metalman, Airman, Bubbleman, Quickman, Crashman, Flashman, Heatman, Woodman. Flashman, Crashman, and Bubbleman have been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 3. From left to right and top to bottom: Needleman, Magnetman, Geminiman, Hardman, Topman, Snakeman, Sparkman, Shadowman. Snakeman has been color enhanced slightly by adding the red snake eyes he should have.

Bosses from Megaman 4. From left to right and top to bottom: Brightman, Toadman, Drillman, Pharaohman, Ringman, Dustman, Diveman, Skullman.

Bosses from Megaman 5. From left to right and top to bottom: Gravityman, Waveman, Stoneman, Gyroman, Starman, Chargeman, Napalmman, Crystalman.
Note that all these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 6. From left to right and top to bottom: Blizzardman, Centaurman, Flameman, Knightman, Plantman, Windman, Tomahawkman, Yamatoman.
Again, note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 7 FC. From left to right and top to bottom: Freezeman, Junkman, Burstman, Cloudman, Springman, Slashman, Shademan, Turboman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on third 16-bit sprites as well as official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 8 FC. From left to right and top to bottom: Tanguman, Astroman, Swordman, Clownman, Searchman, Frostman, Gernademan, Aquaman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

Bosses from Megaman 9. From left to right and top to bottom: Concreteman, Tornadoman, Splashwoman, Plugman, Jewelman, Magmaman, Hornetman, Galaxyman.
Note that these sprites have all been color enhanced beyond the capabilities of the NES color pallet. I based their proper colors on official character artwork.

"I'm too sexy for 16-bit! I made this Splashwoman sprite before Megaman 9 even came out! I just based it on screenshots!

Sigma from Megaman Xtreme 1, color corrected to match his 16-bit sprite From MMX1.

More various sprites. This Link was actually from a stitch pattern for a pillow. Samus is from the Japanese FDS version of Metroid's save management system, Super Joe for Bionic Commando, and Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog for the Gamegear. Sonic is too yellow for his own good, but it was done on a whim.

My first true 16-bit sprite, Terra Branford, the main character and heroine of the SNES classic, Final Fantasy VI.

A tribute to the awesome community devoted to the Famicom

More various sprites

[img width=700 height=311]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2150/5694204507_8667e43f09_b.jpg[/img]

More Rockman. Here's X from Xtreme recolored, Kalinka from MM4, Ran from the infamous Bob & George webcomic, a Met, Classic Rockman and two custom hacks I did: Rockman.EXE and Zero as he appears in the Zero series.

here's another sprite I made. A cookie for anyone who knows what this is. [shouldn't be too hard]

I'll update again with more in my next post.

Thanks and let me know what you guys think!
Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Satoshi Matrix Bead Sprites

Post by D.D.D. »

Wow~! :D Really cool stuff.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

The Missingno made me laugh. These are all pretty awesome, how flat do they get? Theyed be pretty cool to frame for a game room.
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

All of them are awesome, especially Missingno. I wish they kept missingno for the newer pokemon games.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Unbelivable! :shock: Is there any place that you can get tutorials on how to do these?
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

:shock:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Awesome!
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Wow, very cool. You did an excellent job with these.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I do not have nearly as many made, well done. I have made Tri-forces, Sensible Soccer players and a couple of views of the Yellow ant from Sim Ant. And I made some non-gaming stuff as well.

I really want to make some Bubble Bobble ones though.

In order to make these you need some pin boards, the beads and an iron to fuse them.
The "hard" part IMO is having all the colors and having a design that works with the colors you have (you will need to replace colors with a similar one etc). Other than that, it takes a bit of time assembling the design in the board. The ironing process can go wrong and that can be frustrating (it really sucks when you flip it over and part of the design falls out - but on the other hand if you over do the 1st ironing the desing won't look as good IMO).

You can search on youtube (or google) for Perler beads, Hama beads (those are the two better known brands) or fuse beads. There are some videos (usually girls doing some stuff).
Ikea sells this stuff with the name "Pyssla" I believe. The beads are not exactly equivalent so while pin boards may work with either e.g. Perler or Hama, I read that making a design with Perler AND Hama beads is a bit trickier when you try to fuse them (not impossible though, but try starting off with just a brand). I never tried Perler beads myself, been using just Hama.

Ivo.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

ironed, they get about 2 or 3 mm tall. That's a little much for most picture frames. I add cardboard backing and simply hang them up as is. They look great on any wall or fridge if magnets are attached. I sell them either way.

Now I know, there are other people who make beadsprites and are total attention whores about it. I try to distance myself by recoloring sprites to more closely match the original artwork, not necessarily the sprite limitations of the console the sprite came from. Then I match those colors to the full spectrum of beads.

My sprites are not overironed yet wont fall apart if you look at them wrong. Prices depend on the size and complexity of the sprite, with small ones starting at just $5 and going up from there.

Here are some more examples of my works if anyone is interested in purchasing any of these or would like a custom order.

Metroid with transparent innards. To my knowledge, nobody else has done a Metroid like this.

Super Pig, the mascot of Hacker International, an unlicensed developer of hentai FDS games. There's an article on it on Famicom World and I made this as a tribute to that. Don't bother trying to track down the games; they're awful. This sprite is quite massive.

GB Zelda Sprites

Giant Megaman from Megaman 6's Get Weapon screen.

Rockman Logo

Various small sprites from the megaman classic series. from right to left, top to bottom: Eddie, Large Weapons Energy, Large Health Energy, Extra Life, Large Screw, Beat, and Large P Chip.

Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario! Mario! *and then Mario's head is somehow the size of all of North America*

Following in my series of awesome huge sprites comes Super Mario. Sprite is from the image gallery of the Gameboy Color's super Mario Bros. Deluxe. I slightly edited and recolored the sprite, tweaking its inherent awesomeness, because I'm awesome.

Oh no! Bowser's about to burn up one of my Super Mario Bros. 3 cartridges! SMB3 sprites color enhanced to look ridiculously good.

I don't wanna overwhelm you guys too much, so I'll leave it at that and post more later. Let me know what you think and feel free to contact me if you'd like to place an order.
Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix on Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.