Any Shmup Experts? Compare Saturn and PSX Shmups?

2D Shooters Invade
racketboy
Site Admin

Any Shmup Experts? Compare Saturn and PSX Shmups?

Post by racketboy »

I'm hoping to have a good write-up comparing shmups between the Saturn and PSX.
One of the major Shmup message boards used to have a great thread on the topic.
I bookmarked it, but the thread seems to have disappeared.

Anybody have knowledge on the subject?
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Saturn is better for shmup, but the PSX has decent games too

Post by Mega-Dan »

Saturn has so many awesome shooters its unbelievable.

Gamespy top ten shmups:
http://archive.gamespy.com/top10/may01/shmups/

and I would add a few more as well, but lets face it, Dodonpachi can be played on a modded xbox with mame and looks better, as can battle garrega. Half the games on that list can be played on modded xbox, only Gradius gaiden, soukygurntai, Ikaruga and radiant silvergun cannot be and you would need three different systems to play those games.

So modded xbox is the best shmup system, except the lousy controller. Buy you can buy one of those cool street fighter controllers, they rock.

As for psx vs saturn, if I only cared about shmups, saturn, easily, like 30% of the games for saturn are shmups, and most are pretty decent as welll, but many pretty mediocre. Without a doubt though the sega saturn was perhaps the pinnacle of the shmup genre, I mean who would buy all these games even if they lived in japan?

Check out this silly long film that is over an hour long by retrocore that is devoted ONLY TO SHOOTEM UPS ON THE SEGA SATURN! They only spend like a minute on each game too. They dont even cover one of my favorites, Bokan To Ippatsu, that game is just nuts and really fun as well.
http://www.segagagadomain.com/RetroCorepage-main.htm

As for Playstation, it has some really great shootem ups, like Gradius gaiden, Raiden DX (great game), Einhander, Zanac X Zanac (not great pretty fun and amazliingly expensive), Gaia Seed and some weird ones like Bokan Desuyo (really fun, sequel to the saturn one), harmful park (really fun), and Kyuujin (also not that great, but really weird).

So dont feel left out if you only have a playstation, alot of the shmups for saturn were also released on playstation, and dodonpachi actually had a better release on playstation than on saturn oddly enough (thats a first for a 2d shooter only released on japan.) All the gradius type games are available for both systems I believe, except for possibly sexy pariodius, but either way thats like 10 gradius style games, and thats more shootem up than anybody will need for a year with the gradius series alone.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I finally found my old notes.
You can find the results of my old research here:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/02/ ... ation.html

Of course, I'll still be adding to this in the future.

And yes, RetroCore is awesome :)
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

I think the saturn is quite clearly the king of all shumps. The only shump I can think of that was on PSX and not Saturn was "Einhander" which was actually a pretty ok game. NeoGeo really is the runner up to the SegaSaturn in the realm of shumps.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

did the Neo-Geo really have that many?
I know it had some, but nothing stands out in my mind.
If anything, I always thought the PC Engine was up there...
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Neo-Geo

Post by Mega-Dan »

Most really good Neo geo shooters were ported to other systems, I cant think of any really great neo geo exclusive shooters. Twinkle star sprites is probably my favorite (great competitve two player, like a puzzle game, kinda to) and ti was ported to saturn and dreamcast.
The only contender to saturn's shooter supremecy is the Turbo-grafx, that system had way to many shootemups, but in general they were older games and I think that while they were great in their day, many saturn shooters one upped them gameplay wise.
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

lol, man then you really don't know your Neo to well.

Here are a fiew off the top of my head

Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings 1
Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings 2
Aero Fighters / Sonic Wings 3
Andro Dunos
Blazing Star
Captain Tomaday
Ghost Pilots
Iron Clad
Last Resort
Prehistoric Isle
Pulstar
Strikers 1945+
Twinkle Star Sprites
View Pint
Zed Blade

I think that the NeoGeo has the highest quality shooters of any system. The saturn has more shooters, but there are not more then 3-5 really "wow amazeing" shooters imo, where as just about anything released on Neo was going to "wow" the player when they were released.