SOTM 2016 Calendar Reveal

2D Shooters Invade
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: SOTM 2016 Calendar Reveal

Post by noiseredux »

I've been reading up on Sengoku Blade (May) and wondering if I'd want to pony up for a Saturn copy. As it turns out it's kind of like a horizontal Gunbird. Marion's even in it.

Mind = blown.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:I've been reading up on Sengoku Blade (May) and wondering if I'd want to pony up for a Saturn copy. As it turns out it's kind of like a horizontal Gunbird. Marion's even in it.

Mind = blown.

Yeah, a hori from Psikyo just blows the mind for sure. It's also known as Tengai.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

So, for my new-ish blog, I've been meaning to cover games I know and love... and also try out the genres I never really gave a chance.

When it comes to shmups... my experience is pretty much Silver Surfer (NES) and Astro Warrior (Master System). Seriously... I haven't played much beyond that. So it's hard to know where to start... everyone tells me classics like Ikaruga, but from what I understand, it's very innovative... and I don't think I'd be able to appreciate it just yet.

So, I finally found a couple of good ones to start with... Sol Feace (Sega CD) and Blazing Lazers... which I see is on this list! I'll be playing both within the next week or so. I chose them because they both look pretty standard, but not bad either. And also because I wanted to cover some Sega CD and TG16 games.

Anyways! What I'm getting at is that I'll be joining you guys starting next month! (Rest of January is busy). So prepare to get a totally noob POV in your next pick! Looking forward to it :)
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

touchofkiel wrote:So, I finally found a couple of good ones to start with... Sol Feace (Sega CD) and Blazing Lazers... which I see is on this list! I'll be playing both within the next week or so. I chose them because they both look pretty standard, but not bad either. And also because I wanted to cover some Sega CD and TG16 games.

nice dood. I love Sol-Feace and actually just recently wrote about it on my site myself. Though I had it since it came out, so I'll look forward to your impression of it since I know I'm biased by nostalgia.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Man, no Ryujin on either of the Taito Legends sets.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

touchofkiel wrote: So it's hard to know where to start... everyone tells me classics like Ikaruga, but from what I understand, it's very innovative... and I don't think I'd be able to appreciate it just yet.

Plenty of resources here on Rackeboy. Here you go:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/shooters ... et-started

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/shooters
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Man, no Ryujin on either of the Taito Legends sets.

I'll admit, he picked a really good one, I've never heard of it. More obscure than the shmups on Taito Legends 2!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Calendar looks good - i'm hoping to finally get some Galuda runs in this weekend.

For Pro Gear month - i'd be ok with a separate score table for:

Halfway to Hell: Pro Gear Red Label
Halfway To Hell: Progear Red Label is a fanmade sequel to Progear no Arashi that takes place after stage five of the original game on an alternate timeline. It was created by The Halfway House, a team of one Progear enthusiast and three programmers.

By all counts it should be easily emulated in the next few weeks. Some folks have already got it working on their CPS2 Multi-boards.
touchofkiel
32-bit

Post by touchofkiel »

So I have Ryu Jin a quick try, just to check the rom in my emulator...

This game seems hard. Dying sets you back to the beginning of the level.

Guys! I'm a shmup noob! This is going to hurt...
I review (mostly old) games at: The Annals of Retrodom.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

touchofkiel wrote:So I have Ryu Jin a quick try, just to check the rom in my emulator...

This game seems hard. Dying sets you back to the beginning of the level.

Guys! I'm a shmup noob! This is going to hurt...

It's cool dood, I suck at shmups too.