2014 STGT - Discussion Thread (recap)

2D Shooters Invade
Nyukki
128-bit

Re: 2014 STGT - Discussion Thread (recap)

Post by Nyukki »

Yeah man, great tournament, we should do this every 6 months.

Wish I'd have been able to participate more in Dimahoo. Also had a really great time with BG learning all the flamingos and Mad Ball tricks etc.

Sent from my SM-G7508Q using Tapatalk
Weekend shmupper
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

The game selection was wonderful. This tourney showed me how much I love Raizing and has me convinced to download Deathsmiles 2 on XBLA.

I'm glad to see Brad and I progressed from the turds of the tourney to some real contenders this year with Mike's help.

I'd be up for changing it to a different month next year, though. It's a busy time for me. Plus November is when all the new games come out for Christmas and start distracting people.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Obviously I'm too lazy to calculate the total results for the month (or am I just being blind and can't find them). So who won the tournament?

Sent from my SM-G7508Q using Tapatalk
Weekend shmupper
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Not calculated yet, but Castration Nation is the winning team.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

TSTR wrote:Not calculated yet, but Castration Nation is the winning team.

Or, whichever team DocHauser is on :lol: Last year it was the Hi-Ballers, he was there too.

My team put in an admirable performace, however. Good job guys, and thanks for taking care of it again this year mjmjr.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

ExedExes wrote:
TSTR wrote:Not calculated yet, but Castration Nation is the winning team.

Or, whichever team DocHauser is on :lol: Last year it was the Hi-Ballers, he was there too.

My team put in an admirable performace, however. Good job guys, and thanks for taking care of it again this year mjmjr.

Hey, don't give Doc all the credit! He didn't win every week and there were people in the tourney more than capable of taking him on...Donny didn't have as much time, hashi went MIA, etc. I worked hard to be a solid #2 each week and to pull us up from not being in first going into the final game...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:I worked hard to be a solid #2

I've been calling you this for years!
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I worked hard to be a solid #2

I've been calling you this for years!

:lol:
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I really enjoyed being involved in STGT this year. It was a blast playing some games I never had even heard of and actually having a real reason to work hard at getting better at each one. I discovered that I am a bit better a shmups than I've given myself credit for in the past.

As far as the games themselves went, I thought Dimahoo was really nice surprise for an old 1993 game. Its scoring system was just so deep. Jamestown is just a beautiful and well done game. Battle Garegga is a classic and showed it. Such a great to enjoy on the Saturn (red ball for the win!). Then there was Deathsmiles, the only dud this year. Really didn't care for the scoring system, playing the pixelated arcade mode on the 360, or weird sexualized cast of playable characters. However hearing how much other guys liked and disliked DS was interesting because it really shows there are different strokes for different folks, shmups included.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

Thanks to mj for organising again this year. And kudos to dsheinem for coming through in the last week and sealing that 1st place!

I thought it was a good selection of games, mainly because I'd put several hours of gameplay into them before, so I was fairly confident in all of them. :-)

I still managed three new PBs, though, so I was pretty pleased with that. And I made it to Stage 6 in Garegga for the first time, so that was cool. Bring on next year!