Twinkle Star Sprites - best version?

2D Shooters Invade
mjmjr25

Re: Twinkle Star Sprites - best version?

Post by mjmjr25 »

I've actually answered this question a few times as it's one of my absolute favorite games - as in, I legitimately have played this one a lot and i'm always baffled when people who've not played the SAT, Neo CD, MVS/AES or PS2 versions make blanket statement that DC is better.

The one thing DC has "going for it", if you like that sort of thing, is that yes - you can remove the slow-down. This isn't a bullet-hell game and to me, and many others, removing the slow-down changes what this game is, this is both puzzle and shooting and I prefer to play it the way it played in the arcade.

The NEO-CD was very close to the arcade, but there are as always, dreadfully long load times between character select and the vs. gameplay.

The SAT version had an additional playable character as well as an art gallery on the bonus disc. It had alternate intros and an extended ending screen on completion of arcade mode. SAT has an exclusive soundtrack in addition to Arcade sdtrk. DC has no exclusive sdtrk, rather emulation of the neo cd sdtrk and 2 versions of the arcade sdtrk.

The voice acting between matches in arcade mode is present in SAT - it has been removed entirely from DC, it's just background noise.

Quote from one of the more regarded shmuppers on shmups forum:
kiken wrote:The DC version is something of a bare-bones port, featuring 3 modes of emulation and 3 different versions of the OST. Strangely, the DC version has actually become fairly rare and expensive.

The one flaw of SAT is that it is of course CD format and there are occasional load times, thus slower than the AES/MVS versions, but in keeping true to the original and in adding things like a console port should, it far surpasses the DC version - this even includes scrolling backdrops - present in SAT, missing in DC.

PS2 port is a hot mess.

AES/MVS > SAT > DC > Neo CD > PS2
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Sound quality in the DC version is much better than Saturn. I respect wanting the slowdown to be as close to the original as possible. I feel that way for most shmups. TSS is just one of those things I make an exception for. DC versions sounds and plays better to me. And w/ VGA it also looks better. I've never played the original Neo Geo version. For comparison I've only played Sat, DC, and PS2.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

SAT through S-video or DC through VGA...DC might look cleaner, but it's static whereas SAT is scrolling and creates a more intense feeling - which is sorta what this game goes for - being vs. shmupping and all. Knowing your tastes, i'm surprised you prefer DC w/the character voice-overs completely removed. It just feels lazy to me. I don't dispute it looks sharp.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Mike, which is the best version of Puyo Puyo Da! - I know you're big on rhythm games?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

noiseredux wrote:Mike, which is the best version of Puyo Puyo Da! - I know you're big on rhythm games?

:|

I mean:
:|

Yes. It's true. I thought this:

Was a puzzle game in the Puyo series.

It is not.
rufus777
16-bit

Post by rufus777 »

Last edited by rufus777 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

rufus777 wrote: Either one is preferable over the overpriced Neo original, though.

Why is it overpriced? Expensive, sure. Overpriced ignores basic supply and demand. I don't see the logic in $70 for a port or $200 for an original. Those differences aren't staggering.
rufus777
16-bit

Post by rufus777 »

mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

You're losing me. Obsolete? I don't understand.

Superior? I guess superior is subjective. ...but, a port considered by shmups forums and gamefaqs (sorta polar ends of the gaming community) both have more threads and members suggesting the SAT version superior to DC.

Have you played the AES or MVS version?
rufus777
16-bit

Post by rufus777 »