Next-Gen

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou High Score Thread

Post by dunpeal2064 »

DODONPACHI SAIDAIOUJOU

ImageImage

Rules:

One credit
All defaults
Shop items are banned (with the exception of Invisible Operator)
Patch 1.01 must be downloaded

Please submit scores in the following format:

Mode
Shot Type
Name - Score - Stage - Ship - Autobomb ON/OFF

Arcade Mode

Shot

1. Dunpeal2064 - 643,054-492 - Stage 3 - Type A - ON

Laser

1. pierrot - 511,232,699 - Stage 3 - Maria - Autobomb Off

Expert

1.5 Mode

Shot

Laser

Expert

360 Mode

Shot

1. Dunpeal2064 - 6,169,474,448 - ALL - Maria - ON

Laser

Expert

Novice Mode

Shot

Laser

1. pierrot - 1,430,130,144 - Stage 5 - Maria - Autobomb On

Expert

If anyone wants to start using the Type D ship in either Arcade or 1.5 mode, let me know and I can add boards for those.

Dress 'em Up!
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mjmjr25

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou High Score Thread

Post by mjmjr25 »

Ok, ok, i'll get in. I haven't done much with this yet - 2 runs I think, but will give it some run this weekend.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

:lol: I'm glad you made this thread. I wouldn't have gone to nearly this much work. Will be throwing some credits into this soon.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

The hardest part was finding pictures related to the game that weren't just full of swimsuits and teddy bears :lol:

Yeah, same here Mike, I've put 2, maybe 3 credits into this so far. As soon as I was done making he thread, I jumped back on DFK
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Long way off, but gotta start somewhere, right?

Arcade
Laser
pierrot - 511,232,699 - Stage 3 - Maria - Autobomb Off

Great game. I've started to get used to finding enemy bullets (rarely get a chance to see the backgrounds, though they are nice) but some of the patterns seem pretty ridiculous for the first two stages in a shmup. Not liking this one as much as DOJ, unfortunately.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

This game definitely doesn't have that initial blow-you-away that DOJ does. The difficulty is higher in the bullet patterns, but to make it up they did make chaining way easier than the previous DDP games (which will hopefully lead to more people scoring!) From what I know about the game, I think I'll end up liking it more than DOJ, but probably not as much as DFK.

Still need to sit down and spend some time with this one though. Good start!
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Questions:

Any hidden differences than the obvious auto-bomb on/off? I mean obviously the game is easier with it on - is there any advantage to having it off? Maybe less bullets...?

After you select a character - you can move left 2 times, no idea what it's saying, but i'm guessing this is the difficulty? I went left twice to a gal in a bikini and the game was insane, didn't get past first level.

Hyper - does it build more powerful if you don't activate it?

Hyper - so when activated, it turns everything into ingot and clears the screen. When in hyper enemies drop ingot and it seems you get a hit count for each bullet you hit...but they don't actually cancel out - am I understanding this right?

This game has less bullets than DFK for sure, but they are faster and bigger and the hitbox seems larger. Tough game so far, only seen stage 3 once after 8 runs. Even the first boss is difficult to figure out so far.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

...answering my own questions, please correct me if wrong.

Auto bomb off = you might be more prone to bomb on your own and save yourself 3x
Auto bomb on = you will be reluctant to bomb as you can auto-bomb and save yourself, however, one hit on auto-bomb removes all bombs. (unlike DFK)

I can see the psychological allure of auto-bomb off; it makes some sense now.

So the game ship type is actually the difficulty:
Shot - easiest (default)
Lazer - medium (hit right once)
Expert - expert (hit right twice)

Hyper seems to build if you don't use it and become more powerful.

I'm learning...learning. Hard game so far, but liking it as I play it more. It seems harder than all the other DDP's at first blush, but chaining is definitely easier fwiw.

SHOT MODE
314,518,726 - mjmjr25 - stage 2 - Shuri - On
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Normally I might keep auto-bomb on as I tend to lean heavily toward holding off on bombing in any shmup I play. Basically auto-bomb on will give one twice as many lives at the expense of his entire bomb stock at any given time. The problem is that bombing absolutely kills chains. For survival it may work out well for someone who isn't all that effective with bomb usage, but for scoring, it will probably be more detrimental than beneficial.

Shot and Laser are both the same difficulty level. They just boost their respective shot types only. Expert boosts the power of both shot types equally, but is substantially more difficult. Hyper build as stock. "Levels" just reflect stocked hyper. Dying resets it to a certain value approaching 1, depending on level at death, I believe.

I kind of feel like this game is actually more difficult to chain in than DOJ, honestly. Chains may hold up better in SDOJ, but getting maximum chain seems so heavily dependent on both learning a chaining pattern, while also maximizing results from hyper usage.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I think that, because the ingots add to your hit chain, this game ends up being easier to chain than DOJ. In fact, you pretty much don't have to chain, you just have to make a survival route, and delay sucking in ingots in spots where the chain might drop.

You are right though, it is all about building and using hypers in the right spot, very much like DOJ and DFK. But, since you can hold 10 hypers, there is some room for error. It just usually won't result in a chain drop. Unlike DOJ, though, almost all of the score in this game comes from stage 5. And, since rank is bad for score (more bullets on screen at once with lower rank), you actually want to manage rank instead of score until around stage 3.

For autobomb, I prefer to have it on. I'm not going to manual bomb, as it drops your chain, and if I get hit and autobomb, I was going to die and lose my chain anyways.

And, in Arcade, Laser and Shot are the same difficulty. In 360 mode, it goes in difficulty steps like Mike said. Shot is Novice patterns, Laser is Arcade, Expert is Expert.

.... and yeah, still have yet to sit down with this. I've learned a lot about it though, and am pretty excited to sit down with it. Seems like the perfect next step from DFK. No loops, scoring difficulty down, survival difficulty up.