Ibara Hi-Score Thread

2D Shooters Invade
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Ibara Hi-Score Thread

Post by pierrot »

Baby steps I guess.

pierrot - 1,253,590 - Stage 2 (BOSS) - P1/Type C - PS2

I guess I'll need to practice stage 2 in the Practice mode if I ever want to get my score going much better than this, since 900,000 of those points were from stage 1. I end up just laying on the shot button, and it kills my score. Stage 2 was like a blur on this run; All of a sudden I was at the boss with no extra ships, or any bombs. Once she did that initial spread shot, I was toast.

Just realized that I didn't have Shasti cheering me on this time. I'm kind of curious if that helped me or hurt me.
jepjepjep
24-bit

Post by jepjepjep »

Nice progress! The Stage 2 boss is a wall in this game. She's honestly harder than the Stage 3 and 4 bosses I think. Try to save up a hadou cannon or two (that's when you hold the bomb button and let out a slow rocket). Her last form is just ridiculous. If you knock off a tire on her tank, she just sits still and spews out bullets everywhere :lol: .
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Yeah, credit feeding, I felt like the stage 3 boss was significantly easier. Not so much stage 4 boss, though. (Or maybe it was stage 5.)

I was working more on score for now, though, so if I hold onto too many bombs just to get through the boss, I'll end up leaving a ton of points on the table through the stage, most likely. There are some details on how to counteract her attacks in the walkthrough booklet, that I haven't really looked over in much detail yet. I'll probably read through them, and practice her (along with the stage) next. My nerves were shot when I made it up to that point in that run, though. The rank makes everything seriously intense.
studentzki
16-bit

Post by studentzki »

Got this pcb last friday and started playing saturday.
Damn is this game hard!

Current progress:

Stage 2...
a.k.a. sombetzki
My arcade collection
Kidpanda
64-bit

Ibara Hi-Score Thread

Post by Kidpanda »

Kidpanda - 3,257,070 - Stage 4 - P2/Type D - PCB
So I've had this game for awhile and really got enraged by it. But now I'm slowly figuring it out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441763168.120024.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441763168.120024.jpg (355.72 KiB) Viewed 2296 times
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ibara feels like the hardest CAVE game to me... but not in a fun way.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:Ibara feels like the hardest CAVE game to me... but not in a fun way.

That's because it inherited a particular kind of masochism from Yagawa (Battle Garegga, Recca, Batrider, etc.) that is different from the traditional Cave brand of masochism. I think these are "blended" better in something like Muchi Muchi Pork, but Ibara really does feel like a successor to Garegga.

Have you ever spent quality time with Garegga? I seem to think you didn't like it, but also that you lost patience with it quick?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah Garegga sucks. So does Muchi. And Ibara.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:yeah Garegga sucks. So does Muchi. And Ibara.

Wow, ok.

I think those games are all pretty fantastic, and would rank them all high in my favorites in the genre. I can get why them might not be your preference, but "sucks" is quite strong. :cry:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I used "suck" to see if I could troll you. But the crying emoji makes me feel bad.

Honestly, I just think they're not the kind of shmups I enjoy. Muchi is actually kind of alright, but there's just so many other CAVE shmups I'd rather play. But BG, Ibara and Pink Sweets are all examples of ones I can't get into. They're just not fun to me. I'm not sure I can point to a specific why, and I suppose saying "they're too difficult for me" isn't quite right either. It's more that I can't make them click with me in a way that lets me have fun. Playing any of those games feels like a chore to me. Shrug. Life's too short to spend time playing games that aren't fun.