128-bit

Re: Ketsui is PS3 bound

Post by TheRev »

Pink Sweets Drives me to the brink of insanity
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I actually wasn't crazy about either game when I first played them.

I'm still not crazy about either of them. I don't know. Muchi just isn't that appealing to me. Mostly aesthetically, but it also has that superfluous, Japanese absurdity. I'm actually a little sad that I put the work (luck) into getting the Matsuri mode. I don't want to sound too much like I'm trolling, but Muchi Pork is just a notch above Cho Aniki, for me. Maybe I just need to give it more time to stew.
I do enjoy Pink Sweets arrange mode, though. Easily 1000x better than 1.01.

Ibara/BL are just my favorite Yagawa shooters; potentially my favorite Cave shooters.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

I'll be doing Muchi muchi pork on the last day of Cave week (this week) in liu of a donpachi
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

pierrot wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:I actually wasn't crazy about either game when I first played them.

I'm still not crazy about either of them. I don't know. Muchi just isn't that appealing to me. Mostly aesthetically, but it also has that superfluous, Japanese absurdity. I'm actually a little sad that I put the work (luck) into getting the Matsuri mode.

Its not in the aesthetics man, nor is it in the absurdity. Its in the tight, blissful balance between risk and reward. Some games, like Ketsui, ooze cool before you even play them, but Pork is a more acquired taste. Once I got the system down, I started to realize how... free the scoring system felt. There were no chain meters dropping, or medals spawning at the wrong point. You control every aspect of scoring, and the more you are willing to attempt, the harder the game gets. This is also the reason I love Futari BL so much. SO many shooters feel restricted in scoring, but some games, for me, just do it perfectly.

pierrot wrote: I don't want to sound too much like I'm trolling, but Muchi Pork is just a notch above Cho Aniki, for me.

Visually... I guess I can sort of see the connection, but from a game play standpoint, absolutely not. Some of the ugliest shmups are also some of the best, its not all about the way they look. :)

pierrot wrote: Ibara/BL are just my favorite Yagawa shooters; potentially my favorite Cave shooters.

Ibara BL is actually not a Yagawa game. So, now you have an open slot for a new favorite Yagawa game :wink:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I'm aware that my qualms with the game are much more about the presentation, but I find the bullet grazing sounds and other SFX in Muchi Pork to be far more grading than the girls of Pink Sweets. The mechanics just don't feel that exhilarating to me as a result. Also, I'm not that much of a fan of Yagawa's signature brand of STG, outside of Batrider and Ibara.
Anyway, you've convinced me that I need to throw Muchi Pork back into my 360 at my next possible opportunity, at the very least.

dunpeal2064 wrote:
pierrot wrote: Ibara/BL are just my favorite Yagawa shooters; potentially my favorite Cave shooters.

Ibara BL is actually not a Yagawa game. So, now you have an open slot for a new favorite Yagawa game :wink:

I meant Ibara & Ibara BL. Although, they're ostensibly the same game. Do you mean just BL? Because Ibara is absolutely co-developed by Yagawa. Even if he didn't have any direct involvement in the few changes made to BL, that are largely inconsequential to scoring, i'd still say it's a Yagawa game by the power of the transitive property.

I guess I should actually say something about Ketsui at this point, though: I think it would have been much cooler if these shooters were being released on the PS3 a couple years ago, before I actually bought a j-360. :?
I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility of the Cave published games hitting the PS3, though, as I seem to recall an interview saying that they were looking into various platforms for their games. At the same time, I also wouldn't hold my breath. I don't know that they'd necessarily release their entire backlog of 360 shooters for the PS3, but Saidaioujou might have a slim chance of being released on the PS3.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ibara BL is what I was referring to, and Yagawa was not involved in the changes. I personally think Ibara BL plays nothing like Ibara, as it actually involves you raising AND lowering your rank to score, and it involves grazing, whereas Ibara is about bombing airborne enemies, as they always drop items when bombed, which allows for better medal chaining. You only medal chain in BL to raise rank to bomb thick bullet patterns for a multiplier, the medals themselves are not worth that much. Maybe its just because I've played a lot of Yagawa, but I don't think BL feels Yagawa at all.

Also, there is no Grazing in Muchi Muchi Pork or Pink Sweets. I hear that all the time, but those noises are just to let you know you are close to bullets. It doesn't affect score whatsoever.

I am quite glad to hear you are thinking of giving it another go though. Once you get passed the looks/sound (which I am not a huge fan of either, although I'm sure its to some people's taste), the game is just like no other.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

This is not a playthough of Muchi Muchi Pork.
This is human suffering though Muchi Muchi Pork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHGhCUdPBw
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Suffering as in getting beat down, or not enjoying the game?
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Suffering as in getting beat down, or not enjoying the game?

You'll see once the video finishes processing. The game cut off my ass and handed it to me.

Edit-Just went live Prepare to watch this game rape me in the bum.
Last edited by TheRev on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I'm looking forward to it! :) I'm at work, but I'll check it out when I get home.

Its too bad we can't get a regular stream going of people shmuppin it up. I always find watching others play shooters pretty entertaining.