AERO FIGHTERS / SONIC WINGS 1 2 3 Special - Hi-Score Thread

2D Shooters Invade
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Re: AERO FIGHTERS / SONIC WINGS 1 2 3 Special - Hi-Score Thr

Post by Hazerd »

dunpeal2064 wrote:You can use all of your lives, just no continues. I think you have it set up correctly as is, 3 lives.

There might be extends at certain point amounts that give you extra lives, which you can also use, just no continues.

Yeah 3 lives is the default along with 3 continues and Normal mode.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Hazerd wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:You can use all of your lives, just no continues. I think you have it set up correctly as is, 3 lives.

There might be extends at certain point amounts that give you extra lives, which you can also use, just no continues.

Yeah 3 lives is the default along with 3 continues and Normal mode.

1 credit means "no continues." Think of a credit as a quarter. You put one in when you hit START. So continuing would mean you're putting a second credit (quarter) in.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Got one run of SW3 in tonight, modest improvement, so i'll take it. Nothing hard yet, just over-correcting at the 1-5 boss and using Hi-En, who seems to have zero power so boss fights take awhile - tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap-tap...

468,300 - mjmjr25 - 1-5 - Hi-En - MVS
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

SONIC WINGS LIMITED

602,300 - DocHauser - 1-5 - Whity - MAME

I'm kinda liking SWL, more bullets and more potential for scoring - the longer the coin bonuses are on screen, the more points they're worth, up to 10k; this also applies to power-up icons, depending on how long you wait before you collect them they're worth 1k, 2k, 4k, or 10k. Though, trying to score and survive while having a bunch of stuff floating around the screen can get tricky...
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Have been very confused why my score was so low compared to others for SW3...now that I got past the 1-5 boss hurdle, i've figured it out. About 45 seconds after the 1-5 boss and 450K, get the 1-6 bonus and the 1-7 early-mid boss and boom - 700K+. Feeling much better about my scoring chances. Also, using Kowful and River, once you adjust to their slow-ness, their power on bosses is a huge help - the 1-5 boss went from 2 minute fight to a 30 second fight...that I actually get out of now.

SW3:
737,400 - mjmjr25 - 1-7 - Kowful & River - MVS

Modest improvement on SW2, but i'll def. take progress.

SW2:
350,400 - mjmjr25 - 1-4 - Keaton - MVS
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Played some AF3 tonight, and did pretty well. This one seems to have much bigger scoring potential than 2. Maybe I'm missing something.

Aero Fighters 3
815,700 - foxhound1022 - 1-7 - Kowful & River - NGCD
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

First couple go's of SWSpecial, seems a bit easier so far, though the scoring is very low...only 25K after first stage, only up to 110K after 3 stages. The bosses "flash" so intensely after stage 1-3 that it's distracting and makes it tough.

SWS:
362,100 - mjmjr25 - 1-7 - Kowful the Viking - SAT-J

@Doc, can you comment on yr score for AF3, 900K+ by stage 1-5...is there a huge scoring trick we're missing? The 3 of us behind you are at 1-7 but still well below yr score. Or, did you enter the stage in wrong...or maybe not count the bonus stages?

Also, has anyone else had Garegga-syndrome and panic bombed those pink flamingos on stage 3 of AF2? I did...two runs in a row.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Yeah, there is a scoring trick in AF3. After you defeat the 1st boss, shoot the left wing if the plane sending you on that path. On Stage 3, there will be rows of tanks to shoot for point bonuses. As soon as you see 'em, shoot them and move up, hugging the top of the screen.

If you can stay in line, you'll get 10,000 for each tank; this can easily add 400 to 500K to your score. Thus, how I managed this:

Aero Fighters 3

1,159,500 - foxhound1022 - 1-7 - Blazers - NGCD
DocHauser
128-bit

Post by DocHauser »

mjmjr25 wrote:@Doc, can you comment on yr score for AF3, 900K+ by stage 1-5...is there a huge scoring trick we're missing? The 3 of us behind you are at 1-7 but still well below yr score. Or, did you enter the stage in wrong...or maybe not count the bonus stages?

Nope, the score is correct. You can score over 200k in Stage 1 depending on how you destroy the building at the end - if you uncover the coin items on the left and right of the screen, you can pick up a bunch of 10k items. I don't always get the maximum points available, but I usually finish the stage from anywhere between 150k to 230k.

Take the left path after Stage 1; Stage 2 won't give you many points, but the big points are on the next bonus stage. Stay right at the top of the screen and follow the path of the tanks to pick up the 10k bonus on every one. You might miss a few, but it's still possible to get 500k from this section alone. That's over 700k from Stage 1 + Stage 3!

EDIT: I see foxhound already figured it out :)
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Yep. :mrgreen: