Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Giga Wing)

2D Shooters Invade
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Castle of Shikigami II)

Post by o.pwuaioc »

ExedExes wrote:Enjoy Shikigami, folks! It looks like you can get a bazillion points, and the scores are heating up. As for me, I got a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng game ahead of me on the main TR, it seems this month. :lol: Maybe I'll try some Galaga just because Noise did nominate it :)

If there's not a thread, start one and I'll join in on that too.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Woo, finally got a chance to give this one a run. My first time playing this in a long time, but this was the game that started my addiction to shmups!

Dunpeal2064 - 1,572,029,340 - Stage 3-1 - Ko - DC

Not my high score, but its a start.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

Did a few runs just now with a few different characters. My scores with Sayo and Niigi are significantly lower than the one run I tried with Kim. It's not even close. So I guess I'll have to try out some more characters. Perhaps separate scoring tables for each character would make sense? At least if a bunch of people play.

No official posted score from my as of yet, but the lone run with Kim was around 623,000,000 up to stage 3-1. I think that's the right number of zeroes anyway. Forgot already. :P
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
NesimLE
16-bit

Post by NesimLE »

First time participant, and my complete lack of skill with the genre is showing. Current high score is 351,025,930 with Sayo...quite a bit better than my first few runs though.

Oh, and that's up to stage 2-1.
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Post by skate323k137 »

nice run Dunpeal, this was one of the first shmups that really got me hooked too.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

After playing this for a little while, I've come to a couple conclusions:

1) I want to use Niigi Gorgeous Blue
2) Trying to play for score with anything other than Type 1 Kotaro is an exercise in futility

Am I doing something wrong here? I tried out every character but him, and was going to just quit, until I saw what his shikigami does to stuff's faces in the demo.

Anyway:

pierrot - 581,414,260 - Stage 2-1 - Kotaro - Dreamcast

Got hit three times at the beginning of Stage 2; Really not sure what happened. Also, why is the extend so useless when you have all of your lives? Or does it just give you an extra bomb and nothing else, regardless?
Got Shikigami Seijin rank on this one, so that's cool, I guess.

Also, I believe the extends are 400 million and every 700 million after that.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

^^ at least you're experimenting. I haven't tried the others yet.
I do hate the fact that you don't get a 4th life if you hit the 400M 1up.

ExedExes wrote:Tension Bullet System

Just an FYI, the flyer posted in the OP calls it the "Tension Bonus System". The PS2 manual says this, too. :wink:

Going to sleep! Probably won't get to play this again until the weekend.

hashiriya1 - 1,484,769,190 - Stage 3-2 - Koutarou - PS2-J

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

pierrot wrote:Also, why is the extend so useless when you have all of your lives?

yeah this is a tough one -- max lives are 3. So yeah, if you have all 3 and hit an extend you're just gonna get an extra bomb. Here's a trick though, if you see you're close to an extend and have all 3 lives, kill yrself and you'll get 1 bomb for dying and then a 2nd for the extend plus you'll go back to 3 lives with the extend.
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

noiseredux wrote:
pierrot wrote:Also, why is the extend so useless when you have all of your lives?

yeah this is a tough one -- max lives are 3. So yeah, if you have all 3 and hit an extend you're just gonna get an extra bomb. Here's a trick though, if you see you're close to an extend and have all 3 lives, kill yrself and you'll get 1 bomb for dying and then a 2nd for the extend plus you'll go back to 3 lives with the extend.

But the extend life only has 3 bombs, I think? So that may or may not be worth it depending on how many bombs you've already used. I wonder if the second extend only has 3 bombs too. Haven't gotten that far yet.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ZenErik wrote:But the extend life only has 3 bombs, I think? So that may or may not be worth it depending on how many bombs you've already used. I wonder if the second extend only has 3 bombs too. Haven't gotten that far yet.

you earn 1 bomb if you die, and 1 bomb with an extend. You start with 3 bombs. Max bombs is 5. So if you have 3 bombs, and 3 lives: kill yrself (now you have 4 bombs, 2 lives) right before you hit the extend (now you have 5 bombs, 3 lives).

At least that's what I thought I understood from the strategy thread at Shmups.