2D Shooters Invade
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Re: Shmup of the Month Club 2013 (Raiden IV)

by fvgazi Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 pm

fvgazi - 7,129,560 - Level 1-3 - Arcade Original

Can't make it past the middle of stage 3. Those mid-stage bosses get tough. They spit out bullets so fast I can't even comprehend the patterns half the time. Then it's always a stupid popcorn enemy on the side that gets me.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:50 am

This game is going over well :lol:

Might be a good argument to do games that have older ports or are easily emulate-able in MAME.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:02 am

Called it when the game got picked. :lol:

I still stand by this game being harder than most Cave offerings. There is no, "I'll hold up on scoring, play for survival, find my own path" shit here, just bullets faster than my eyes can see. Put a good amount of credits into this game, and have never seen Stage 5.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:39 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:Called it when the game got picked. :lol:

I still stand by this game being harder than most Cave offerings. There is no, "I'll hold up on scoring, play for survival, find my own path" shit here, just bullets faster than my eyes can see. Put a good amount of credits into this game, and have never seen Stage 5.

Isn't that the norm with the Raidens?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Not entirely, I've seen Stage 5 in other Raiden games :P

The game definitely has a traditional Raiden vibe to it, but I think it differs in one main area, and that is its use of patterns. In the older Raiden games, getting good at streaming can get you pretty far, even when you don't know whats coming and can't see the bullets you are streaming. It seems like there are far more patterns of fire that aren't just aimed at the player, but these patterns are FAST! It feels like you either memorize (Really memorize, not the overused "OMG you'd have to memorize all of R-Type to get anywhere" memorize) the patterns, or they blow you out of the water.

Don't get me wrong, these aren't slights on the game. Saying the game is harder than most Cave offerings, coming from me, is a compliment! However, I think it lacks the natural progress that people are used to making in shmups, so a lot of them put it down all too quickly.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Ahh, I got you. I definitely got that feeling when I played lll for the first time, but after spending some time with that, I kinda expected it with this one.

Next time I'll try to have a more accessible list for everyone. Sorry. :oops:
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:17 pm

foxhound1022 wrote:Ahh, I got you. I definitely got that feeling when I played lll for the first time, but after spending some time with that, I kinda expected it with this one.

Next time I'll try to have a more accessible list for everyone. Sorry. :oops:

Not your fault. It turns out with the schedule re-alignment, I had more time for the 2 games on the regular TR calendar. You just nominated it, and all the 360 owners voted it in, right? :lol:

This does sound a lot harder than R2/DX so far.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Aww man, didn't mean to make it seem like it was a bad pick, I don't feel that way at all. I don't have a 360 right now, or I'd be dying on Stage 4 with you all month. It was as fine a pick as any, and like a lot of solid picks, it didn't get the action it deserved. Not your fault at all fox!

Exed: I think its way harder than II/DX. Granted, DX actually has score-depth, so maybe that one gets harder the more you delve into it.
Spyke
64-bit

by Spyke Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:35 am

Harder than II/DX? Sheesh - I'm almost glad I don't have it. I'd be embarrassing myself this month! As much as I LOVE the Raiden games, I find them very challenging. I actually seem to do best at III.

Have not abandoned the SOTM - just waiting for the next game to come around that I own.

(Off-topic, I thought Gigawing was coming up soon? Did it change?)

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Spyke wrote:(Off-topic, I thought Gigawing was coming up soon? Did it change?)

Giga Wing was originally scheduled for December. We had to shift the games for August, September, and October because shmups.org did not have their annual STGT in August.
Return to Shmups